Have DCI Events Ever Sold Beer/Wine?

Spare the beer please.

The rowdiness in the stands at Pasadena between the smuggled pot and alcohol was bad enough. 

DCI fans struggle to hear the music over the cellphones, texters, whining babies and tots up well past standard bedtimes, noobie bandos talking during every corps except their relatives, and the hard of hearing ultra dinos not realizing that their "whispers" can be heard from end zone to end zone even over Dan Potter and Brandt Crocker.  Add to this the noise from the barkers in the refreshment areas, not always separated physically from audience seating. Need we even mention the obnoxious wannabe who screams during the solo just to make the video. No, I don't mean SCV fans yelling Vanguard................................if they can all agree on one appropriate moment.

If the alkies demand their booze and DCI gives in to make money, at least restrict it to closed club sites as it was at MetLife Stadium and could be at the UMn. stadium. Otherwise leave it all to the after contest parties and off site restaurants rather than public places while we are trying to hear what the kids have worked so hard to perform. They deserve better. 

Edited by xandandl

There have been a few DCI Finals that I do not remember because they sold beer in the stadium. Friends that I were with in 1993 still love telling the story about how I balled my eyes out during the Cadets' Hymn Song to Philip Bliss. 

I don't believe them but they all say it is true.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

There have been a few DCI Finals that I do not remember because they sold beer in the stadium. Friends that I were with in 1993 still love telling the story about how I balled my eyes out during the Cadets' Hymn Song to Philip Bliss. 

I don't believe them but they all say it is true.  

Just think, if you were to repeat the scenario now, there'd be cell phone video!

21 hours ago, xandandl said:

Spare the beer please.

The rowdiness in the stands at Pasadena between the smuggled pot and alcohol was bad enough. 

DCI fans struggle to hear the music over the cellphones, texters, whining babies and tots up well past standard bedtimes, noobie bandos talking during every corps except their relatives, and the hard of hearing ultra dinos not realizing that their "whispers" can be heard from end zone to end zone even over Dan Potter and Brandt Crocker.  Add to this the noise from the barkers in the refreshment areas, not always separated physically from audience seating. Need we even mention the obnoxious wannabe who screams during the solo just to make the video. No, I don't mean SCV fans yelling Vanguard................................if they can all agree on one appropriate moment.

If the alkies demand their booze and DCI gives in to make money, at least restrict it to closed club sites as it was at MetLife Stadium and could be at the UMn. stadium. Otherwise leave it all to the after contest parties and off site restaurants rather than public places while we are trying to hear what the kids have worked so hard to perform. They deserve better. 

I agree with making the general show experience better for everyone involved. That said:

- Your second sentence seems to say more about the local area than it does for allowing beer at concessions. Also, finals are never coming back to the Rose Bowl.

- Your third paragraph lists annoyances that occur at nearly every show, including the dry ones. Many of those annoying behaviors come from over-enthusiastic (and very sober) teenagers.

- Not every adult who enjoys a beverage at a large-scale event is an "alkie."

If a DCI Show is at a pro stadium (or decent college stadium that allows beer sales), and if said stadium has the necessary capacity/staffing to accommodate beer sales (and if DCI knows they're not going to somehow lose money), then I don't see an issue.

Sidenote - At DCI Minnesota, there was one year when beer sales were allowed but only at a designated area by the west end zone, away from the general seating (this was the first year of on campus beer sales, and UMN was very strict about it). It was awkward and not very popular -- people don't like watching drum corps from the side for some strange reason. I'm not sure if beer sales are still done at DCI MN ... they definitely are for Gopher football games.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

On 4/25/2017 at 1:48 PM, Fran Haring said:

What the others have said. At a pro sports stadium, pretty good chance beer will be sold. At a high school venue, no chance. College stadiums.... maybe, maybe not.. quite often not.

Colleges that permit beer sales at their stadiums ( map takes about 10 seconds to download at site )

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Colleges that permit beer sales at their stadiums ( map takes about 10 seconds to download at site )

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/

Ohio State just started as well (really weird that Minnesota, Maryland, and tOSU are the only Big Ten schools to allow in-stadium sales).

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Colleges that permit beer sales at their stadiums :

I wish Rutgers sold beer, so us long-suffering RU fans could at least drown our sorrows during the loss game. :tongue:

Seriously... I'm fine with no beer at college venues. Keeps the "knucklehead factor" to a minimum.  LOL. 

Hey... for anyone going to an event at Rutgers Stadium (or whatever the corporate name is)... I recommend the Buffalo Mac and Cheese.  Nice and spicy, and a pretty good deal for the money.

Edited by Fran Haring

I have never seen more alcohol consumed at a sporting event more than the Harvard- Yale Football game. Nothing came close to it in my personal experiences. Not even the large number of drunks I used to see at Foxboro stadium before the Krafts came in and cleaned up the stadium during game day there now. I went twice in my life to the annual Harvard- Yale football game.. once to Cambridge, the other time... 22 years apart .. to New Haven. The number of fall down drunks at this game would make the annual Octoberfest festival in Munich seem like a Morman Picnic in Provo.

• Like 4

On 4/25/2017 at 11:41 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm just curious about this. I've been going to DCI shows since I was about 15, and not being of age, I don't even remember if beer or wine were sold at them. I know they aren't now. 

Last September, I went to the DCA Finals in Rochester, NY...and was pleasantly surprised that I could buy an ice cold beer and watch drum corps. 

Seems that it would be a huge revenue producer in large domes, etc. 

Just curious if anyone had any insight. 

Say what you will about Rochester: that stadium is great for DCA Finals (soccer stadiums are great for drum corps, period). Allowing beer to be sold is a definite plus.

Regarding larger NFL/college stadiums: I think the cost of staffing -- usually third-party vendors like Aramark -- plus the potential risks of liability-related issues makes liquor sales at these events pretty rare. If a stadium authority is dealing with an event that isn't even able to fill up the stadium, I doubt they would want beer sales to take place. That said, I don't know if this is a stadium authority decision or a DCI decision.

Nothing like having to pee during a show.  lol

I am not in favor of this.

Get the telecast and drink at home.  Then you can yell all you want.

• Like 2