Sailing into Annapolis

2 minutes ago, c mor said:

Great idea to open concessions for practice! 

We have been doing it for years.  We also let the corps set up their souvenir tent.  The attendees get to shop without missing the action and the corps gets to do a little fundraising as well.

Win! Win!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This is the third time BD is staying with us.  They actually avoid DC by going the northern route via Frederick, MD.  We have a great facility with a principal that loves drum corps. They are returning this year after the Annapolis show.

Our school is located on over 100 acres of land and is only 7 years old.  I give them full use of the stadium and we have another football practice field on the other side of the campus.

I actually hosted the Cavaliers (FMM '80) as well at this facility.  We were the school that got them after the Southeast sickness a couple years ago.  The new facility allowed them all they needed to get healthy before they left for Allentown. 

We also make a big deal of hosting and get several hundred people to attend the Monday evening rehearsal.  A good time for both the marchers and our students.

Feel free to come out Monday night and watch the corps.  It is so worth it.

That Frederick route is a great alternative... I've used it numerous times over the years. You have to deal with some Baltimore-area traffic on the back end... but usually nothing on the scale of the DC metro.

It beats the heck out of sitting in "no one's going anywhere" traffic on the DC Beltway while contemplating slitting one's wrists. :tongue:

Folks, I'll vouch for how good this high school campus is. Outstanding venue to catch a corps' rehearsal. 

• Like 2

I'm annoyed I'll be out of town thIs year. 

6 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This is the third time BD is staying with us.  They actually avoid DC by going the northern route via Frederick, MD.  We have a great facility with a principal that loves drum corps. They are returning this year after the Annapolis show.

Our school is located on over 100 acres of land and is only 7 years old.  I give them full use of the stadium and we have another football practice field on the other side of the campus.

I actually hosted the Cavaliers (FMM '80) as well at this facility.  We were the school that got them after the Southeast sickness a couple years ago.  The new facility allowed them all they needed to get healthy before they left for Allentown. 

We also make a big deal of hosting and get several hundred people to attend the Monday evening rehearsal.  A good time for both the marchers and our students.

Thank you for hosting them (and advertising out that people are welcome to come water)!! I'm hoping a couple of the kids from the HS band I work with show up.  A few of them went to see Crown when they came through the area after the 4th.

6 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Huh? They go from there to Frederick (340/15N) in 70E down 29S, 100W, 97S

It's still 90 miles

I get avoiding DC traffic but that's a 215-230 hour each way

Cadets rehearse at stadium all day, day before and day of

At night they stay at Arundel HS in Gambrills MD

Edited by George Dixon

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Huh? They go from there to Frederick (340/15N) in 70E down 29S, 100W, 97S

It's still 90 miles

I get avoiding DC traffic but that's a 215-230 hour each way

I hear ya... but it can be roughly the same amount of time if you hit the DC area from Northern Virginia during rush hour. 

I know you live in the area... but I commuted there (Northern VA) for a number of years from Baltimore, and then had a a gig for several years afterward driving numerous clients in and around the area. The clients I brought back from Dulles Airport would actually request the Frederick route because, even though it took a while, at least it was scenic. :tongue:

Summer Fridays were the worst. If we left Dulles on a Friday afternoon, I would tell clients it was a minimum of two hours back to Baltimore/Annapolis. Most of them knew the drill... but one client from out of town asked me if I knew any alternate routes to save time. I told him I probably knew a dozen alternate routes... but they all would take a minimum of two hours, enjoy the ride. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1