Inconsistent guard judging

Just now, DCI-86 said:

I wonder what the qualification to judge DCI guard is? I know one DCI guard judge who has never spun a flag in their life and doesn't know one end of a rifle from another!

Considering the plethora of WGI folks in DCI nowadays, I don't think finding qualified individuals is much of an issue

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Considering the plethora of WGI folks in DCI nowadays, I don't think finding qualified individuals is much of an issue

Most WGI judges steer clear of judging DCI!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

This year more than ever it seems a particular guard will do well or badly depending on who judges.  Now I appreciate each group should be judged for their performance on the night but I don't buy that that is the reason for judging to be all over the place in the guard caption!  One night Blue Stars beats Crown, the next they are way down and beaten by Mandarins.  One night Cadets beats Bluecoats then next they are way off the mark.  One night SCV beats BD the next they place 4th.  One day Phantom is in 8th place then next they are narrowly out of 3rd.

It seems to me that each judge has their own interpretation of the judging system and their own preferences and bias.  It's a shame that the corps will be watching carefully who is judging to determine their finals placement.  This year more than ever, guard will have a huge impact on final placements:

• How high will Boston's place in guard?  
  • How low will Crown score? Will it cost them a silver or bronze medal?
  • Will guard end up being Cadets strength or their weakness again?  
  • Will the right judge be in place to put Mandarins' guard high enough to knock out Madison for 12th place?

All depends on who judges on the night......

To me it seems like there are a lot of strong guards this year, maybe that's part of it?

Percussion is this way a lot and I attribute that more to how #### competitive it is, the smallest of errors could tank you and a good run can catapult you up.  

I just know I'm having more fun watching guards this year than I ever have.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

3 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

Most WGI judges steer clear of judging DCI!

I 86 poster 86. Look at the official list. Almost all DCI guard judges are WGI judges. https://www.wgi.org/judges.php

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

To me it seems like there are a lot of strong guards this year, maybe that's part of it?

Percussion is this way a lot and I attribute that more to how #### competitive it is, the smallest of errors could tank you and a good run can catapult you up.  

I just know I'm having more fun watching guards this year than I ever have.  

I think that is true but I don't think it can explain the massive swings on scoring, dependent on who is judging!

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I 86 poster 86. Look at the official list. Almost all DCI guard judges are WGI judges. https://www.wgi.org/judges.php

I'm sorry that just isn't true.  Yes of course there are some cross over (Michael Stone, William Chumley) but there are many others that judge DCI that do not/are not allowed to judge WGI

1 minute ago, DCI-86 said:

I'm sorry that just isn't true.  Yes of course there are some cross over (Michael Stone, William Chumley) but there are many others that judge DCI that do not/are not allowed to judge WGI

off the top of my head I count at least a dozen on the WGI list who judge both, 3 who judge WGI but are DCI guard faculty/caption supervisors, etc. Only D. Torchia's notable name is missing from the WGI list. Who are the others currently judging DCI? Names, not presumptions.

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

As I have said elsewhere, there should be two color guard judges for all regionals and all contests (p/s/f) of Championship week. Add both scores together and divide by 2 for the guard score. Guards today compromise as much of 1/3 of the membership of some corps. This is too much for just one person's responsibilities, particularly persons with biases, preferred approaches, and occasionally an off night

I concur completely. Two judges would level out the current peaks and valleys... and cause less of an unexpected swing in overall corps scores. 

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

off the top of my head I count at least a dozen on the WGI list who judge both, 3 who judge WGI but are DCI guard faculty/caption supervisors, etc. Only D. Torchia's notable name is missing from the WGI list. Who are the others currently judging DCI? Names, not presumptions.

Here you go:

• Sal Adamo
  • Helen Bassett
  • D Deems
  • Michael Gray
  • Michael Turner
  • Rich Kemp
  • M Bowers
  • I Jenkins
  • C Raichle

Shall i keep going?

Edited by DCI-86