Inconsistent guard judging

Just now, xandandl said:

Chumley, Thompson,    Lentz does Onyx.  Gray certainly involved in WGI guards. Ditto on Kelly whose Skylarks even started the thing.

I take it you judge T&P

Nope. Director of world class finalist. 

Just now, DCI-86 said:

What week are you talking about? Because that is not true of this week. 

I was using last year's finals week panels above. Bear with me on a more comprehensive look. 

3 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Give me a few minutes and I will do a more comprehensive guard-only look at the official DCI 2016/17 season judge listings. 

Well from my brief 5 mins research these are judges over last week who currently judge DCi guard caption and not WGI 

• Sal Adamo
  • Helen Bassett
  • D Deems
  • Michael Gray
  • Michael Turner
  • Rich Kemp
  • M Bowers
  • I Jenkins
  • C Raichle
Edited by DCI-86

I would much rather have judges that call it as they see it on a given night than those that are stuck in know your territory mode.  To me, guards can be at very different performance levels from one night to the next - even during championships week.  I want judges that are not afraid to call it as they see it any given night.  And I don't believe any other performance caption is open to as much interpretation and preferences as is the Guard caption.  Field Brass & Field Percussion judging seems to be more concrete (though of course there are bias & variations there too, but to a lesser extent).  There are much more consistent interpretation of a well played brass instrument or snare, than there are of the enormous variety of types of work & movement in the guard.  Just my opinion... 

I DO love the idea of 2 guard judges for the July/August Regionals and Finals Week!!!

Harvey

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

Well from my brief 5 mins research these are judges over last week who currently judge DCi guard caption and not WGI 

• Sal Adamo
  • Helen Bassett
  • D Deems
  • Michael Gray
  • Michael Turner
  • Rich Kemp
  • M Bowers
  • I Jenkins
  • C Raichle

But that does not mean they have not judged WGI before. I have personally sat in critique with quite a few of those folks on the list at various WGI regionals over the years.

• Like 3

Just now, Lance said:

scores are dumb

people would complain if they were too consistent

just enjoy the show

They already complain if they're too consistent. Just check out the Cadets thread 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lance said:

scores are dumb

people would complain if they were too consistent

just enjoy the show

I think most people can enjoy the shows and not be unduly influenced by what the judges do, which is pretty much out of our control anyway.

• Like 1