Inconsistent guard judging

I would have thought that the caption (Guard) would have been renamed by now. Perhaps use Cast or Company instead. I'm surprised both rifles and sabers are still used. 

Anyway yes there appears to be allot of inconsistencies in this caption. Without two adjudicators the caption is susceptible to personal biases such as equipment use vs dance or staff affiliations.

One brings to judging what one knows or has experienced. I would hope those judging this caption understand all elements of equipment use, dance and acting. But I wouldn't bet on that. 

IMO many members are better educated in areas of music, dance, voice and acting than those evaluating them. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I would have thought that the caption (Guard) would have been renamed by now. Perhaps use Cast or Company instead. I'm surprised both rifles and sabers are still used. 

Anyway yes there appears to be allot of inconsistencies in this caption. Without two adjudicators the caption is susceptible to personal biases such as equipment use vs dance.

One brings to judging what one knows or has experienced. I would hope those judging this caption understand all elements of equipment use, dance and acting. But I wouldn't bet on that. 

IMO many members are better educated in areas of music, dance, voice and acting than those evaluating them. 

Built into the sheets in content. Doesn't matter what you do but they judge on the difficulty of it. 

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

" " " " " " " " " " " " " 

"Because we don't have enough quotations used in the last couple posts."

What I'm intrigued by is the spacing of the quotations lol. Who the heck spaces them like that 

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Built into the sheets in content. Doesn't matter what you do but they judge on the difficulty of it. 

And if you haven't done it or can't do what is being done, how would you know how difficult it is? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What I'm intrigued by is the spacing of the quotations lol. Who the heck spaces them like that 

" etc.

Gotcha both. Those are the tiny little rabbit's feet from Academy '17. i know. Looney toons.

3 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

And if you haven't done it or can't do what is being done, how would you know how difficult it is? 

Jim, your logic would go like this: One couldn't coach in the NBA if one were 5'7 because you wouldn't know the experience of blind dunking the ball because you are not 7'4".

I understand what you are trying to say, but like most things it's a three sided box with one side left open for fresh air otherwise we all die.

Yes, particularly guard has changed from the posting of the colors at VFW contests to what we have today. But people are not stupid. If the fans can appreciate it, the judges can learn it. Some of the judges' clinics and instructors' clinics are actually equipment learning sessions. I am thinking of all the Orlando sessions WGI held a dozen years back. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Jim, your logic would go like this: One couldn't coach in the NBA if one were 5'7 because you wouldn't know the experience of blind dunking the ball because you are not 7'4".

I understand what you are trying to say, but like most things it's a three sided box with one side left open for fresh air otherwise we all die.

Yes, particularly guard has changed from the posting of the colors at VFW contests to what we have today. But people are not stupid. If the fans can appreciate it, the judges can learn it. Some of the judges' clinics and instructors' clinics are actually equipment learning sessions. I am thinking of all the Orlando sessions WGI held a dozen years back. 

Yeah I understand, kinda like if you can't play the trumpet solo sing it instead. 

• Like 2