Keyboards and Vocalists and Bass Guitars ? Oh my !

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

Hello all,

I am a newbie to DCI, since 2014, so be patient please.

Why is a Drum and Bugle Corps allowed to use Electric Keyboards, organ pedal tones specifically, Vocalists, Bass Guitars, or Drum Traps Sets when performing ?

It seems to me that this begins an alarming trend of replacing marching instruments on the field entirely, which appears to counter the concept of the brass ensemble, which I dearly love to hear on the field.

For example, Carolina Crown was wowing me again this year but then ended it for me when the "fat lady sang" for the last half of their performance.  Bluecoats were likewise "wowing" but the overuse of the Electric Keyboards overshadowed their amazing brass line.  Other Corps crossed the "Brass (only) Line" as well.

And on to another issue, Religion. Why on earth does a stellar Corps like The Cadets put a Catholic Mass on the field ?  When I was a performer, we intentionally avoided issues of Race, Religion, and Politics.  I was personally offended and am likely not the only one.  I left the room.

Is there a movement to remove these electronic, vocal, and religious nuisances from the rules of performance ?

Welcome to DCP! 

I am an oldtimer...or just plain old! Saw my first show in 63 and marched from 64-72 (last three in the Cadets).

Electronics, vocals, etc...were long overdue in drum corps (IMO), and they have been a net positive in the productions we are seeing today. So I doubt you will see any movement within DCI to remove them. After all, the corps themselves are DCI, and they decide at the Rules Congress what is and is not legal. 

Carolina Crown's show was amazing this year, including the ballad from Wicked with the vocalist as the lead, and the closer "No One to Know One", where the volcaist was one part among many, not the featured performer. My appreciation for that number grew after I watched a Youtube video of the original work, and saw how Crown translated it to the field. 

Cadets doing Bernstein's "Mass" was nothing new...they did it in the 80's. It is not really a "Catholic Mass" if you recall the original work...far from it. I loved their show this year...very elegant and creative, and the choir was a huge plus, IMO.

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

It's me again...

Is there a Rule Making group at DCI where I can send my comments ?

if you wish to submit a proposal for the annual rules congress, you have to get a corps director to agree to propose it. this did happen several years when amplification first passed...I believe Blue Stars allowed an alumnus to speak and present the petition circulated at shows and online, as well as a rationale for why it was opposed.

As you can see it didnt pass.

3 hours ago, StunnedMonkey said:

It's going to me more vocals and electronics in the future. In 20 years it'll be 140 dancers, ten vocalists, and a sound man, though it's possible a dancer might occasionally clip a wireless mic onto his/her saxophone and blow a solo. 

Yikes.  This is just far too post-apocalyptic dystopian.  

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Cadets doing Bernstein's "Mass" was nothing new...they did it in the 80's. It is not really a "Catholic Mass" if you recall the original work...far from it. I loved their show this year...very elegant and creative, and the choir was a huge plus, IMO.

100% agree.  This was one of my favorite shows - starting with the splendid source material, coming from Bernstein who was jewish as we all know.  The ensemble got tighter and tighter until finals week when it all gelled.  Beautiful job.

IMO the Cadets had the BEST USE of vocals in a show - if that could be an award.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, c mor said:

..one synth to rule them all...

40 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

100% agree.  This was one of my favorite shows - starting with the splendid source material, coming from Bernstein who was jewish as we all know.  The ensemble got tighter and tighter until finals week when it all gelled.  Beautiful job.

IMO the Cadets had the BEST USE of vocals in a show - if that could be an award.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

adets doing Bernstein's "Mass" was nothing new...they did it in the 80's. It is not really a "Catholic Mass" if you recall the original work...far from it. I loved their show this year...very elegant and creative, and the choir was a huge plus, IMO.

16 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The Cadets put on a caricature of the Mass.  Leonard Bernstein's Mass would never be celebrated in church for real.

If this was a great use of source material reflecting the vibe of Bernstein's Mass, Cadets missed out on singing, "God Said... It was God D### Good!"  That is a prominent song in the Bernstein Mass, and maybe injecting that language into the show would not have offended Natasha as much.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

If this was a great use of source material reflecting the vibe of Bernstein's Mass, Cadets missed out on singing, "God Said... It was God D### Good!"  That is a prominent song in the Bernstein Mass, and maybe injecting that language into the show would not have offended Natasha as much.

The whole first verse of "God Said" was in the choir during the opening "Chaos" section.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

The whole first verse of "God Said" was in the choir during the opening "Chaos" section.

Notice that I stated that they did 'not' use the actual lyrics of, "It's God D### Good!"  They left that out; and it is an extremely important part to understand the parody Bernstein was getting at in the song and the entire musical itself.  And my supposition is that since Natasha found the 'positive religious aspect' of the Cadets show so offensive it deserved to be walked out on, if the Cadets had belted out, 'It's God D### Good!" multiple times, loudly, with force, just like the actual song, that might not have been as offensive to Natasha.

Edited by Stu