DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Who is on " my lawn " with you ?.. lol.  You'll never " understand me any better", anyway it appears from your total mischaracterization of my remarks.. so sure, " get off my lawn " you indolent young cooties bearing smacktalker you... lol!

I would wager that DCI has very little to no NEED to go back to PBS, let alone interest in it. Why broadcast to a supposed 300,000 when you can broadcast to millions on YouTube? Why dick around with PBS pledges when you have FloMarching? Why mess with licensing for ANOTHER broadcasting opportunity when you don't need to? Just so the very few who still watch PBS can relive their glory days?

Newsflash: Nothing... NOTHING new, hip, and appealing to a new audience is being broadcast on PBS anymore.

I wrote in another thread... on my way home from Finals the Sunday morning after, I watched on YouTube the Top 12 shows FROM FINALS. Didn't have to deal with PBS, didn't have to crank my antenna, didn't have to wait until Thanksgiving.

Why would anyone want to fool with PBS?

I'm not even a young'un anymore... and I see absolutely 0 value in PBS for DCI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm personally not buying some of those 80's and 70's numbers - I was at those events and the crowds for paid seem pretty inflated

There were more "members" due to more competing units so maybe the unpaid attendance inflated the guesses... 

Yes, but we don't disqualify attendees of today because their kid, or boyfriend/ girlfriend, or favorite Corps is there, and they bought a ticket for that reason alone. Same as in any other year. Today, or in earlier decades.  Plus, If we are willing to accept the DCI  paid attendance numbers of today, I see no reason why would would not accept the DCI announced paid  numbers from any other year. If DCI does not " inflate " their paid attendance numbers now, I don't think they were in other years either. 

Edited by BRASSO

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, but we don't disqualify attendees of today because their kid, or boyfriend/ girlfriend, or favorite Corps is there, and they bought a ticket for that reason alone. Same as in any other year. Today, or in earlier decades.  Plus, If we are willing to accept the DCI  paid attendance numbers of today, I see no reason why would would not accept the DCI announced paid  numbers from any other year. If DCI does not " inflate " their attendance numbers now, I don't think they were in other years either.

So, the counting 'system' of attendance for 1990 was the same as the other two years? Really?

1990 31,994 Buffalo, NY

1995 19,100 Buffalo, NY

2001 16,406 Buffalo, NY

32 minutes ago, Lead said:

I would wager that DCI has very little to no NEED to go back to PBS, let alone interest in it. Why broadcast to a supposed 300,000 when you can broadcast to millions on YouTube? Why dick around with PBS pledges when you have FloMarching? Why mess with licensing for ANOTHER broadcasting opportunity when you don't need to? Just so the very few who still watch PBS can relive their glory days?

Newsflash: Nothing... NOTHING new, hip, and appealing to a new audience is being broadcast on PBS anymore.

I wrote in another thread... on my way home from Finals the Sunday morning after, I watched on YouTube the Top 12 shows FROM FINALS. Didn't have to deal with PBS, didn't have to crank my antenna, didn't have to wait until Thanksgiving.

Why would anyone want to fool with PBS?

I'm not even a young'un anymore... and I see absolutely 0 value in PBS for DCI.

DCI certainly appreciated the potential benefit to exposure to new audiences by going to ESPN after being off TV for several years. DCI would not have done so, unless they valued the benefits that only TV national exposure can provide. Flo Marching is a benefit to CURRENT fans. FloMarching is not going to expand DCI to new audiences to any large degree. Youtube clicks does not expand the activity. If so, advertisers would not be willing to pay such high costs tyo advertise on TV. Nothing beats TV exposure for an activity. Social media is fragmented. it serves its purpose, but it can't compete with national TV exposure to perhaps millions of households. Nobody says PBS is the answer once again to DCI's mostly flat lined growth the last decade( or ever so small uptick ). But likewise, nobody should attemt to make the case that being on TV every year from coast to coast is not better than Flo Marching subscriptions to a few thousand, and multiple clicks on youtube as a comparable means to expose an activity to potential new marchers, fans. Thats just silly. Anyone involved in national advertising will tell you how coveted natIonal TV exposure is to reaching NEW potential buyers. Plus, take a poll... ask every DCI TOP12 marcher, " do you want your Finals Night on national TV, or not".? Tell me how " the young "  will poll. I think I know what that poll result would be.  Besides, its " the young" that are primarily paying for the DCI experience, not you...,......nor me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I think you might be surprised how little regard millennials, especially the younger set, have for Television.  They might find it cool to be able to say they were on TV. But the amount of them that get their screen-based entertainment from other sources is significant. You might use a phrase like "National Broadcast" and they would probably think that it means, or at least should include, internet. And that number is only shifting further in that direction. Elementary and Junior High kids today struggle to tell you any channel lineups. What station is what number on the dial, or even what shows are on what station at what scheduled time. There will likely always be a little place, a niche, for broadcast television. But basically, if you haven't been waving goodbye, might as well go ahead and start now. 

latest-bye-gif-466.gif

A freely accessible broadcast, especially internet based, would be awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, the counting 'system' of attendance for 1990 was the same as the other two years? Really?

1990 31,994 Buffalo, NY

1995 19,100 Buffalo, NY

2001 16,406 Buffalo, NY

Well I don't think they did any favors with the Pasadena numbers. Wonder if those were massaged as cover to stay in Indy. Either there were 15,000 freebies, or their numbers are totally wrong. That was a huge crowd.

And I just contributed to yet another famed classic thread derail. 

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Edited by mingusmonk

DCPADD

1 hour ago, Stu said:

1990 31,994 Buffalo, NY

1995 19,100 Buffalo, NY

2001 16,406 Buffalo, NY

Yes. There is no evidence that DCI changed what their paid gross receipts were in any years. The IRS does not like it when an organization changes its methods for calculating its gross paid receipts. And Tax attorneys/ CPA's do not like to sign IRS filings where an organization has systematically changed its methods of calculating paid receipts from one season to another. So No, I do not subscribe to any suggestion that DCI has altered their methods of calculating paid receipts numbers over the years. Enough with any such conspiracy charges that DCI somehow has " real " numbers today, but " inflated " numbers or whatever in other years. Its ridiculous, and DCI does not engage in such" fraudulent cooking of the books", which really is what people are suggesting, even if they have not really thought it through perhaps. I accept DCI announced paid attendance today, every bit as much as I have in every other DCI season. if a few misguided DCP posters want to suggest that DCI cooked the numbers before, but they don't now, thats not my belief, anyway. But people are certainly entitled to adopt all sorts of things regarding how DCI operates. Lord Knows, we've heard it all before in some misguided quarters re DCI if we've been around DCI for any length of time.

Edited by BRASSO

36 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I think you might be surprised how little regard millennials, especially the younger set, have for Television.  They might find it cool to be able to say they were on TV. But the amount of them that get their screen-based entertainment from other sources is significant. You might use a phrase like "National Broadcast" and they would probably think that it means, or at least should include, internet. And that number is only shifting further in that direction. Elementary and Junior High kids today struggle to tell you any channel lineups. What station is what number on the dial, or even what shows are on what station at what scheduled time. There will likely always be a little place, a niche, for broadcast television. But basically, if you haven't been waving goodbye, might as well go ahead and start now. 

latest-bye-gif-466.gif

A freely accessible broadcast, especially internet based, would be awesome. 

If we asked the Top 12 Corps marchers of today a most simple question... " would you want your Finals performance on TV, or not ?" I believe I know what the overwhelming answer would be with both the marchers and their friends that follow them but don't march. If you ( or anyone else on DCP for that matter ) think the majority would say " no", you probably don't know " the young " anywhere near as well as you think you do regarding DCI Finals and TV.. I think I know " the young " about as well as anyone else on here too .  I bought and paid for their internet devices, cell phone accounts, social media gabs, etc..  I don't live in an isolated cave all alone out in remote Idaho or some place.. lol!

Edited by BRASSO