DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I'm really out of the loop now on what PBS / DCI might need to make it work again. Maybe its no longer feasible, maybe it is. But I'm of the opinion, that if DCI can find a way to get its Championships back on TV in some manner that would be a good thing. But I'm really not privy to what the costs on both parties might entail to know whether or not it makes financial sense for DCI to do it.. Is FUSE Netwok, by the way, going to do their programming of the DCI " reality show " format it piloted last winter, do we know ? I havn't heard  anything yet on this front if DCI and FUSE have decided to do it again. I think that show at least had SOME potential for increased exposure for DCI if  programmed correctly.

They are not doing a Season 2.  There has been no official announcement; just word from people who worked with the production company.

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

They are not doing a Season 2.  There has been no official announcement; just word from people who worked with the production company.

Mike

I didn't think it showed cadets in a positive light..so probably good there is not going to be a season 2...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Thanks for that update, MikeD.

12 hours ago, Chris Rohn said:

I was trying to find a definitive archive of finals attendance figures but had a hard time with it. It's a common enough topic I figured there would be a wikipedia page or something. After a little sleuthing here, on dci.org, and ramd archives I came up with the following. Does anyone (DCI, even?) have figures from the 70's and 80's to fill in the gaps?  1990-present is reliable. Everything with a ~ is an estimate I found.

DCI Finals Attendance

1972 Whitewater, WI
1973 Whitewater, WI
1974 Ithaca, NY
1975 Philadelphia, PA 
1976 ~24,000 Philadelphia, PA
1977 ~30,000 Denver, CO
1978 ~30,000 Denver, CO
1979 Birmingham, AL
1980 Birmingham, AL
1981 35,947 Montreal, QUE
1982 Montreal, QUE
1983 ~13,000 Miami, FL
1984 Atlanta, GA
1985 ~36,000 Madison, WI
1986 ~34,000 Madison, WI
1987 ~32,000 Madison, WI
1988 ~30,000 Kansas City, MO
1989 ~28,000 Kansas City, MO
1990 31,994 Buffalo, NY
1991 24,832 Dallas, TX
1992 27,915 Madison, WI
1993 16,484 Jackson, MS
1994 24,513 Boston, MA
1995 19,100 Buffalo, NY
1996 13,771 Orlando, FL
1997 13,773 Orlando, FL
1998 12,693 Orlando, FL
1999 19,928 Madison, WI
2000 18,423 College Park, MD
2001 16,406 Buffalo, NY
2002 20,230 Madison, WI
2003 18,865 Orlando, FL
2004 22,047 Denver, CO
2005 20,542 Boston, MA
2006 21,232 Madison, WI
2007 24,309 Pasadena, CA
2008 20,534 Bloomington, IN
2009 17,865 Indianapolis, IN
2010 15,765 Indianapolis, IN
2011 17,363 Indianapolis, IN
2012 17,820 Indianapolis, IN
2013 20,381 Indianapolis, IN
2014 21,378 Indianapolis, IN
2015 22,085 Indianapolis, IN
2016 22,200 Indianapolis, IN
2017 23,342 Indianapolis, IN

I'm told any number before 1997 does not reflect just paid. it reflects everyone who got in through whatever means

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

No. The local neighborhood/ Church Parish Drum Corps began to expand beyond these neighborhoods in the early to late 60's, and thus predates the formation of DCI in 1972. The DCI national touring model however perhaps might had a negative effect on the loss of so many Corps in the 70's/ 80's, as the costs of travel were beyond the ability of many Corps that folded to raise sufficient funds for them to incur such all summer long national travel costs. The sheer numbers of Corps that folded in the DCI years of the 70's/80's also perhaps negatively effected attendance as a goodly percentage of family, friends of marchers decided to no longer follow DCI once their family/ friends were no longer in their favorite Corps, once that favorite Corps ceased to exist. Finally, the enormous changes in the activity no doubt turned off thousands who once followed the activity, and they left. To some degree, newer fans that enjoyed the newer offerings replaced them. But not in sufficient in numbers to replace the lost fans numbers. DCI Drum Corps today now has less shows, less Corps, less attendance, no TV exposure now compared to ( for example ) the 70's/ 80's. However, on a brighter note, DCI Regionals and Championships week's attendance the last few years is up compared to the the earlier 2000's years attendance.

a good chunk of alumni in the 80's and 90's seems to have not stayed as connected as they once did, which also hurt numbers

4 hours ago, Tony L. said:

I feel like I am over Indy.  Nice enough venue, but there, but I have run out of things to do.  I can't be the only person who feels that way.   That might keep that Finals attendance number static as long as it remains in Indy. 

actually the size of the building I think is the biggest issue. it only seats so many people on the front side.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I worked the PBS phones one year in Boston's WGBH studios for pledges, and so had access to the stations numbers. PBS told me they had approx. 300,000 viewers watch their broadcast nationally. If accurate, " 300,000 " is far more " eyeballs " than DCI has had on off site programming via combinations of theatre and pay per view combined formats. There is no format that tops national exposure than TV. Thats why advertisers spend lots of advertising dollars still there... unparalleled national exposure. By the way, on the PBS Broadcasts of DCI Championships : . For approx 15 years, DCI and PBS had a great relationship. The pledges came in at a healthy clip for PBS and DCI to continue their Championships telecast. But its true, fans did keep the pledge levels up, but the promises by pledges really began to start to wane considerably, and people began to renege on those pledges promised, and the pledged money from viewers began to dramatically fall off... for whatever reason. PBS then decided not to renew its broadcast. DCI in 2007 tried a 2 year partnership with ESPN, to broadcast a modified ( shortened version of each Corps performance ) broadcast. But DCI and ESPN mutually agreeed to part ways, as ESPN wanted more financial payments from DCI to broadcast its Finals Championships, and DCI decided such payments was not something they wanted to do. DCI has since decided to go to its fans itself to foot the bill for the broadcast, thru a payed subcription service at the moment. My sense. the Pay for View format will be great for current fans, but its not a format to grow a fan base to any large degree. TV exposure expands DCI to the unitiated. That exposure can't be beat, if the product you are offering tends to have popular appeal to begin with. If not, TV will never deliver fan growth. As such then, DCI's decision to diminish TV exposure in hopes of expanding its broader appeal does seem to make pragmatic and financial sense to me at the moment

DCi sees more clicks on YOutube than what watched the annual telecast. Far more band kids know about DCI now than they did in the PBS years, and they can go to youtube, facebook, reddit, twitter, you name it and find far more content of corps top to bottom than PBS ever showed. 

and to DCi's benefit, it's free for them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Only if you enjoy watching the corps learn drill...because (all together now)...the only thing more boring than learning drill, is watching someone else learn drill. 

edit....learning ballad drill

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Today PBS tends to buy material already made rather than produce it on its own specials such as Yanni, Celtic Women, In Volo, etc., and broadcast it at pledge time. Where PBS would no longer have to film or produce finals as they did in the early WGBH days, a rebroadcast could be a possibility. Not a live broadcast perhaps, but showing it either in December, or during membership month, could potentially be successful. 

no because drum corps people didn't own up to their pledges. and now with licensing costs, no way.

• Like 1