DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

1. I'm 21 years old. Out of anyone on this forum, I'm probably the most in touch with what millenials do or do not participate in. So spare me the lecture 

2. I assure you most (let's say, 75%) of millenials would much rather have drum corps streamed live on YouTube to watch on their laptops or a smartTV with a YouTube app rather than on a TV channel. There is a noticeable stigma against TV in general

3. If DCI found a way to get competitions streamed on a free public channel such as PBS (which also happens to be dying, it barely survived budget cuts by Republicans 5-6 years ago and is now in risk again thanks to Mr. Blonde Combover), I could see millenials tuning in. But if it was streamed on a cable tv channel, you can forget it. 

In my experience with people of all ages, their ability to discern broadcast quality, the degree to which they care about it, and their ability to pay for it, all develop over time.

But if the entire world of television goes extinct, happily replaced by Internet streaming of the quality of FloMarching, then that will prove you know millenials better than me.

22 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If you are not watching PBS, how can you speak with such authority about the production quality or frequency of commercials there?

I jump in and out enough.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Do you really think like... 900,000 people watched the video from beginning to end?

Not any more than I think 25,000 went to Finals and stayed beginning to end without going pee or getting a hot dog, but that has nothing to do with the argument.

2 hours ago, Lead said:

This might be... but I would argue that NO ONE under the age of about 50 is ever tuning into PBS. NO ONE, ever. Period. 

I am a musician and teacher, and I highly understand the value of some of their programming. But there has NEVER ONCE been a time when I watched PBS randomly. Only to watch the DCI broadcast and the State Marching Band Finals... which as stated before, now everyone can watch on YouTube with infinitely better video and sound quality immediately after the event anyways, instead of waiting for Thanksgiving.

As a musician & teacher [like myself], you could learn something from viewing this performance. I know I did. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/vienna-philharmonic-summer-night-concert-2017full-episode/7081/

18 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

As a musician & teacher [like myself], you could learn something from viewing this performance. I know I did. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/vienna-philharmonic-summer-night-concert-2017full-episode/7081/

PBS could be worse too. It could be BRITTISH PBS... where the Brits show us Neanderthals Gourmet Dessert Cooking, Brit style

It seems to me that we need to accept that everything surrounding the drum corps activity is subjective, from tics, to GE, to demand, to attendance numbers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its not as complicated as you might think it is. I believe that the official DCI Finals night paid attendance figures that DCI releases to the public each and every season are the same figures they utilize in their filings with the IRS each and every season. I don't see why not... unless someone thinks DCI was cooking the paid attendance numbers numbers in any season. If they think that, then my response would be that I don't particularly share in that jaded and cynical view of DCI.

I have been in email contact with someone in the know; for obvious reasons and third party communication policy I cannot mention the person's name nor post the emails. But it was confirmed that the attendence figures posted here from at least the mid nineties on back were not necessarily just the 'paid' attendence, and there was no official set methodology to get an exact accurate count on butts in the seats numbers let alone those who had specifically  'paid' to enter the gate. Now there is a set methodology, but then nope.

Addendum: accurate receipt revenue and other revenue was reported on the 990's back then, but there was no cross-reference counting of actual butts in the seats.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have been in email contact with someone in the know; for obvious reasons and third party communication policy I cannot mention the person's name nor post the emails. But it was confirmed that the attendence figures posted here from at least the mid nineties on back were not necessarily just the 'paid' attendence, and there was no official set methodology to get an exact accurate count on butts in the seats numbers let alone those who had specifically  'paid' to enter the gate. Now there is a set methodology, but then nope.

You would think this would be self explanatory. Electronic records weren't exactly commonplace.

38 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Wonderful concert. But like DCI, this kind of programming is few and far between, not to mention also available online - which goes back to the crux of my argument which is that PBS is irrelevant.

Edited by Lead

40 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

That is all fine and well. And I am all for private donations and foundational support funding programs like this on PBS. But the U.S. Federal Government should not be utilizing our tax payer funds to subsidize anything other than what the Constitution allows for which is solely for the infrastructure of the government. Many will point to the 'General Welfare' clause and maintain there was no such thing as TV back then, but that clause also has to be placed in the context of what the original author's meant by 'general welfare' not what anyone wants it to mean today. And I guarantee their idea of 'general welfare' did not include musical entertainment. So the only thing applicable on the Federal level is the 10th Amendment, and thus I have no problems if various States want to subsidize PBS within the parameters of their own Constitutions, but the Feds, no way.