1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

plus with starting so early, many schools are done earlier, providing weather doesnt screw it up. I never remember being done with school til like the 10th of June, and never started before Labor Day, and i'm only 31 years out. My 5 year old started 8/22 and is out 6/1.

Anyone have idea about Finger Lakes NY schools. Swear they were still in session second half of June and it was not due to weather.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Said my mom, about a lot of things. :tongue:

Where I got one of my many cliches lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dbriggs said:

here in WNY, schools start in the days following Labor Day; end mid-June. those are the el-hi, colleges start end of Aug

Thank you, we saw the buses in Ithaca and asked if they had a bad winter cuz schools still in session. Got a blank look and no always this way. Cornell was empty....

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thank you, we saw the buses in Ithaca and asked if they had a bad winter cuz schools still in session. Got a blank look and no always this way. Cornell was empty....

New York has 190 school days versus PA's 180. They also have a spring break week off. So, they run till about June 20. From my experience there, most actual teaching is done by the first weekend of of June or a little after. The rest of the year is basically kids watching movies and fluff stuff while the teachers get the administrative work for shut down done. You try and actually do anything, woe betide you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking of Class A corps because usually not more than 2 at a regular show. Having been there in pre Class A days trying to compare your 60 score against big corps 80 does not really help that much.

same sheets and criteria, so it doesn't matter. DCA uses such a small pool of judges...the only time to consider if numbers are off is if DCI guys that don't also do DCA judge a DCA corps

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

same sheets and criteria, so it doesn't matter. DCA uses such a small pool of judges...the only time to consider if numbers are off is if DCI guys that don't also do DCA judge a DCA corps

Not looking at this the same way. If you are Class A you don’t care that much about how you compare (how many points behind) with the big corps but if you are ahead or behind other Class As. Thinking of the years WSM was rebuilding and competed against top 10 DCA corps. All we could do was try to beat out score from the week before and no idea how we stacked against the other lower corps. Competing against previous score sucks compared with competing against other corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I know what you mean, Jim- BUT-- one of the things for DCA membership is that they take the top 10 scores at prelims regardless of class and those top 10 comprise the voting DCA membership regardless of class. IIRC, I think at least  the Govies and White Sabres when they were in A have been voting members off and on for that reason.

If you want to some different classes judged on different sheets, it would create a ball of wax that would need to be worked out as to who the voting members are if there ended up being less than 10 Open/top corps competing. I think the solutions are there, but there would be a lot more political wrangling than necessary for sure.

Edited by BigW
fact checking a bit

Where the hades did anyone get the idea that I want different sheets for the two Classes?

What I am saying is if you are in a Class A corps, during the regular season you probably get few chances to compare yourself to similar corps. And the ability to actually compete against other corps is a bigger recruiting point than saying you will probably come in last every show because you will be competing against bigger corps.

Note: when I first responded I thought this was the DCA thread burnettsky started and would go better there.

My last few posts were in response to someone saying corps can see how they stack up to others during the regular season. My thought is Class As do not get that much of a chance to do this until DCA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Ah, misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification, man.

The Class A situation isn't easy. I think they may run into each other once maybe twice in a season counting DCI shows that host them. The only time they come together's prelims.

• Thanks 1