Thanks W, my swag (simple wild ###ed guess) about number of As at shows come from looking at scores. And most of the multiple As at a show were non northeast shows that I noticed. Mainly MN and GA shows in the past.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yeah, you're right. Racine's contest was more or less the best look you'd get at A Class head to head before finals weekend. They're very dispersed geographically except for Govies and Chops. T-Birds and CT are in their own kind of outlier locations where they're equally far away from everyone else. Yeah, you may have less buses, but you're traveling a lot further to find opportunities to go at it.

Highland Regiment's at least close enough to a ton of shows should they get approved. Talking to them over the last couple of years, they're good people, hard working, and trying very hard to get things in shape. We'll see.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Yeah, you're right. Racine's contest was more or less the best look you'd get at A Class head to head before finals weekend. They're very dispersed geographically except for Govies and Chops. T-Birds and CT are in their own kind of outlier locations where they're equally far away from everyone else. Yeah, you may have less buses, but you're traveling a lot further to find opportunities to go at it.

Highland Regiment's at least close enough to a ton of shows should they get approved. Talking to them over the last couple of years, they're good people, hard working, and trying very hard to get things in shape. We'll see.

CT is in the Peckville, Pa show in July.  

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not looking at this the same way. If you are Class A you don’t care that much about how you compare (how many points behind) with the big corps but if you are ahead or behind other Class As. Thinking of the years WSM was rebuilding and competed against top 10 DCA corps. All we could do was try to beat out score from the week before and no idea how we stacked against the other lower corps. Competing against previous score sucks compared with competing against other corps.

gotcha. I'll be honest, i never got that into scores, especially as we did better...found it was the wrong motivator for me

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Where the hades did anyone get the idea that I want different sheets for the two Classes?

What I am saying is if you are in a Class A corps, during the regular season you probably get few chances to compare yourself to similar corps. And the ability to actually compete against other corps is a bigger recruiting point than saying you will probably come in last every show because you will be competing against bigger corps.

Note: when I first responded I thought this was the DCA thread burnettsky started and would go better there.

My last few posts were in response to someone saying corps can see how they stack up to others during the regular season. My thought is Class As do not get that much of a chance to do this until DCA.

ok...so....is your concern that only so many A class corps get invited to shows? I've long thought DCA needs to go to a system like DCI for show invites, not this negotiate your own fee mentality. Then, you may see more A class corps per show

• Thanks 2

Zackly... and what’s DCIs system? I know how DCA did it back on the day but....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

gotcha. I'll be honest, i never got that into scores, especially as we did better...found it was the wrong motivator for me

I think with Jim and I, the scores helped a lot back then. In '79, '80, and '81, we were kind of in a limbo, seeing pretty much Bucs, Crusaders, and T-Birds (with occasional Archie and Steel or rarely, someone from the East who somehow got roped into coming out West) all the ding dong time and it was pretty much known who was placing 1-2-3-4-5. At least we'd see numbers climb and have half a feel of where we half-related when we ran into the rest of DCA at the bigger shows like Bucknell or Scranton so we either got some hopes up or knew not to be unrealistic.

Later on, the staff really emphasized personal improvement and ensemble improvement regardless of numbers. Just know you're getting better personally and the corps as a whole is getting better, the numbers will happen. If they didn't go up, they'd go in and stick up for us if we held up our end. It was a healthier attitude. One of those things people take for granted now... but was very new back then.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking 1975 when We were at DCA shows with Cabs, Buccs, Rebs and Hanover. Almost all season it was last place and no real chance that would change (it didn’t). So the only thing to beat was our previous score. Much better when we could actually beat someone and improve position. Lights a MUCH bigger fire under the butt. 

PS last week of regular season we beat Interstatesmen and Blue Rock at Corning. Whadda kick

edit for everyone else benefit: corps was rebuilding so we were really looking for who could we next beat while we improved and we went from last at Prelims 1974 to 5th in 1980

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Zackly... and what’s DCIs system? I know how DCA did it back on the day but....

the host buys a package from dci, and corps get paid from there. theres tiers to the package based on number of corps, name corps etc....and tiers for pay for the corps based on placement ( 1-8, 9-17 etc). then at the end of the year, DCi distributes money from that collected set of payments plus DCI run shows ( regionals, finals week) out to the corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2