1993 season with Brigadiers:  Get in my van and drive to Pittsburgh and pick up Sandy , Dave and Irv, then drive to Syracuse. That's the first part of the trip @ 14 hours. Arrive in Syracuse and get on the bus to Boston. I didn't know how long that took. I wasn't doing the driving, so I didn't care. Do the rehearsal and the show, then back to Syracuse. Members that lived in Syracuse got in their cars and drove home, went to bed, got up in the morning and read the Sunday paper, had cornflakes and muffins or whatever. In the meantime, I'm still driving back home (through Pittsburgh) and on to Cincinnati.  I didn't go home. I drove to the parking lot of the factory I worked at and slept in my van. When my wind up alarm clock rang, I got out of the van and clocked in and did my 8 hour shift. I don't remember Monday night, but I felt okay by Tuesday morning.  :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Peckville to Michigan? Holy bus trip!

Edited by Jim Schehr
No respect

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... and to think that one reason that  I made 1982 my last season marching was that I couldn't stand being on a bus for more than two hours!!! :tongue:

2 hours was a short run for Westshore, Fran. The only local shows where we didn't ride a bus...Hershey, Bucknell, Lewistown, PA (NOT Lewisburg, that's where Bucknell is), and I think there might have been a DCA show in Mechanicsburg in the late 70's-early 80's for a year or 2. Everything else was at least somewhat of a ride. The big one was to Montreal/Verdun, which you also did but from the NYC Metro area.

Jim did the suicide run to New Orleans for '78 AL Nats- and the stories I've heard about that were more or less insanity took hold with several corps members somewhere in the deep south going down, and that everyone was too burned out coming back so it wasn't as bad.

• Thanks 1

Ah yeah I was burned out coming back from New Orleans. I had just hit 21 and don’t remember any of VA (almost a quarter of the trip on I-81). Thank goodness my hangover oops burnout was better when we go home.

54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ah yeah I was burned out coming back from New Orleans. I had just hit 21 and don’t remember any of VA (almost a quarter of the trip on I-81). Thank goodness my hangover oops burnout was better when we go home.

I know I've shared this before... but I remember seeing you guys getting off your buses at the Bridgeport CT show, the weekend after New Orleans. A lot of folks looked like the Walking Dead.  LOL.

My last couple of years with Sunrisers, I volunteered to drive the corps truck on a number of occasions, because... for me at least... it was a better alternative than being on one of the buses. I rarely could get comfortable on a bus.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I know I've shared this before... but I remember seeing you guys getting off your buses at the Bridgeport CT show, the weekend after New Orleans. A lot of folks looked like the Walking Dead.  LOL.

My last couple of years with Sunrisers, I volunteered to drive the corps truck on a number of occasions, because... for me at least... it was a better alternative than being on one of the buses. I rarely could get comfortable on a bus.

I still don’t remember Bridgeport... DCA records say we received no score and heard it was a timing problem.... you think I could remember that but.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, BigW said:

2 hours was a short run for Westshore, Fran. The only local shows where we didn't ride a bus...Hershey, Bucknell, Lewistown, PA (NOT Lewisburg, that's where Bucknell is), and I think there might have been a DCA show in Mechanicsburg in the late 70's-early 80's for a year or 2. Everything else was at least somewhat of a ride. The big one was to Montreal/Verdun, which you also did but from the NYC Metro area.

Jim did the suicide run to New Orleans for '78 AL Nats- and the stories I've heard about that were more or less insanity took hold with several corps members somewhere in the deep south going down, and that everyone was too burned out coming back so it wasn't as bad.

96 to and from Orlando

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... and to think that one reason that  I made 1982 my last season marching was that I couldn't stand being on a bus for more than two hours!!! :tongue:

Two years ago in July, I took a Greyhound overnight to NYC from Cleveland and back for a one-day Tolkien conference. Didn't sleep well going there. Slept even worse coming back because a bunch of "never Trump" Republicans coming to Cleveland for the RNC were seated right behind me strategizing aloud all night long (and obviously without success).