Is DCI the cause or solution

I read the story in the Modesto Bee, and I still don't believe it.  This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  $5,000 per show in fines?  DCI has never fined a corps $5,000 per show.

I believe the Cadets of NY were fined somewhere around $1000 per show missed on tour (that was 7 shows, including prelims) when they decided not to go on tour last year. Their fines had to paid this year before they declared their division size.

I could be wrong, but that is what I was told.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please read my response on page 1 of this thread, pasted below for your convenience.

As far as I know, no corps has ever been fined in this manner, but I've also never heard of a corps in this situation in the middle of the season. As I said above, the only two corps I can think of that were in a similar situation were Revolution 04 and MGC 05. They both were signed up for shows and then went inactive. But, they were pulled from the schedule before the season began and replacement corps were put in at least some of the shows.

From the Fever director's comments, it sounds like they have been in contact with the DCI office and been told the fines are real. My only question about the article is the number of shows they would be fined for missing. According to the schedule, they have 7 shows plus championships. I doubt they would be fined for not attending championships, since II/III corps pay an entry fee to enter the contest. If there is a fine for championships, I can't imagine it being more than one show as technically a corps is only guaranteed one performance during championship week (yes, I know that Fever would likely be in every show).

Finally, I don't know any details about Fever or any other corps referenced here. I'm simply speculating based on my years of experience in the II/III activity.

Brad

I believe Magic was in dire straits what...the last 2 years? Never heard of a fine

Sounds like DCI isn't HELPING solve the problem.  They know the the smaller corps work on smaller and tighter budgets, so instead of working with Fever to figure out a way to fix this problem, DCI is just penalizing the corps for being unprepared....but then how many corps were expecting fuel costs to just so high and so fast in the spring?

Does DCI do the same to the big corps?  Will Cadets be penalized the $5000 for not showing up at last night's show (because of the accident)?

Guys!!! once again it's NOT DCI'S fault and they don't have to DO anything

to my knowledge FEVER has not contacted them to say "we're in trouble we can't go" I know a discussion was had before the N.W. tour and I'm certain at that late notice DCI did make a stand of sorts. BUT HERE'S THE KEY,and this is crucial!!

FEVER IS HANDLING IT !! It 's taken some negotiation with bus companies and the added generosity of the townspeople of the city they represent BUT it will all be fine.DCI should not be held up as some giant "welfare system" to assist with the internal workings of individual corps.Indeed I hope it never comes to that,no offense meant but s--- happens and instead of talking about how "evil" DCI is or isn't we should be talking with each other about how to START,FUND AND GROW a drum corps in all areas of the country.All the experiences of each of us can be pooled,and maybe someday we will have more than enough drum corps to go around .I'm an old guy ,and I'd like to see a whole lot more "regional" or slow growth,type drum corps on the field. It seems the only real mistake here is growing really really fast .#### shame wish all drum corps could have similar paths .Note to all of you watch and learn that's what we can all do to prevent this from happening to others. I, for one, wouldn't wish that headache on anybody.

I don't anyone in this thread is bashing DCI at all.....We are all just curious as to whether DCI does fine corps for missing shows. The newspaper article on fever states that they will be fined. Whereas

Brad F and other longtime DCI Divison 2/3 management/directors think otherwise. Are Bob Jacobs and Tom Maiello reading these threads? I think they might be able to give us some insight into the issue of fines.

For the record AGAIN:

Fever will be going on tour and doing ALL the shows they are signed up for.

DCI can fine corps up to $5000 per show but has not done so EVER! The newspaper misdirected some of my uneducated comments and that is why it made DCI look bad. I am truly sorry for any negativity this may have given DCI.

For all of you who are critical of DCI, please note that FEVER and every corps is a part of DCI, WE ARE DCI! And please note that Dan A. was extremely helpful in expediting some funds that we had been waiting for to help us with our trip. (It's funny how we fear and hate what we may not understand in order to feel better about ourselves.)

For those wondering, we raised over $10,000 in 2 days.

Now, lets all get back to watching some drum corps shows.

Great news, Lewie. Keep taking no prisoners!

For the record AGAIN:

Fever will be going on tour and doing ALL the shows they are signed up for.

DCI can fine corps up to $5000 per show but has not done so EVER! The newspaper misdirected some of my uneducated comments and that is why it made DCI look bad. I am truly sorry for any negativity this may have given DCI.

For all of you who are critical of DCI, please note that FEVER and every corps is a part of DCI, WE ARE DCI! And please note that Dan A. was extremely helpful in expediting some funds that we had been waiting for to help us with our trip. (It's funny how we fear and hate what we may not understand in order to feel better about ourselves.)

For those wondering, we raised over $10,000 in 2 days.

Great news! And thanks to both you and BradF for the clarifications.

Well, I think the fees exist to protect DCI and the show sponsors by ensuring that corps will in good faith adhere to the schedule they agreed to do. If there were no penalties, any corps could say, for example "We're not going to San Antonio; don't want to spend the money and want to practice more. See you at finals!"

I know at the DCIP regioinal meetings, each year they discuss any assesments which DCI has placed on a corps for not participating in an event they contracted to do. Bear in mind the contracts are now signed in May, so by then most corps should how they are doing and if they need to pull out of any shows due to finances. So it doesn't happen TOO often.

Here's an example of fines that come across the table - in 2000, a corps in California was fined $1000 for pulling out of a show in southern CA. They appealed the fine to Acheson - their reasoning, that they had many members graduating from high school that day, and it was not known to them when they signed their contract. Acheson denied the appeal due to DCI's bylaws. The DCIP board could then vote to either accept or deny the appeal, or to decide on another solution (like a lower fee, for instance). In the end, the board voted to waive the fine.

Acheson denied the appeal due to DCI's bylaws.  The DCIP board could then vote to either accept or deny the appeal, or to decide on another solution (like a lower fee, for instance).  In the end, the board voted to waive the fine.

Thats because of the statutes that govern 501 C charities, which protect the organization from legal action taken against them, or ANYOTHER fines and penalties levied against them, due to organization defaults. ... You should know this... So tell me, is Rivercity going to be at DCA?...lotsa buzzin around about you guys.

Maybe I'll see you there.....that is if you come,...... were you going to compete in I&E?

Would be awesome, hope you make it.

Muz

B)