Winston-Salem Scores!

It absolutely poured down rain for about an hour or so last night before the show. So the field was soaked, but wasn't really "muddy." It was more or less like marching on a sponge. There wasn't much traction when you needed it (like halting), but it felt like marching on suction cups at a fast tempo. You could see the water splash up on the heels of the person in front of you on each step. The field was grass. But with the lack of mud, it seemed like some sort of perscription athletic turf.

I totally agree with Brian... Being a fat guy, I felt like I was walking in quick sand, especially going backwards. One of our Tubas went down (With her butt on her dot as she claimed), but other then almost falling in the same set she went down in, it wasn't the worst I've ever marched on. The field was beautiful though, the best grass field i've ever marched on. The field held up very nicely (no mud) but there was about a 1/4 inch of water underneath the grass that sprayed up when you marched on it. Oh yea, and when we did the Buccaneers Tuba Clap, I think our horns sank 6 inches into the ground :)

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it is going to be really close DCA this year is going to be fun.

I thought last year was great this year looks lik it is going to be better. And the fans are going to have a great weekend. Will the Buck win it all? Will the Statesmen gain on them in the end? Who will be new to the top 6 Bush, Renegades?And from what I have seen in the one show I went to this year It was a verry entertaing show now triple the number of corps and prelims and finals should be great shows. Good luck to all the corps the rest of the year and see you in September.

Edited by lp1955

Crowd was spread out, large stadium. Guess of attendance close to 2000 maybe more.

Crowd reaction was great! Lots of standing O's. Performing corps were able to sit amongst the paying patrons and the reaction was even louder.

Great show.

Friday night LMS was awesome too! Renegades coordinated a great evening!

Considering the rain, I thought the crowd was great. The stadium was amazing. What a great place for a DC show. The fact that it poured rain until an hour before the show attests to what a good field it was.

I'm terrible at guessing this sort of thing but I'd guess crowd size at 2,000 to 2,500 with at least 1,000 no shows (lots of empty seats in some prime real estate and an announcement from Fran saying you could move in to the middle due to no shows).

One other thing...

Winston-Salem had the red carpet out for this show. Everywhere I went, I heard things like "Welcome to Winston-Salem" and "You must be here for the drum corps show" and "We're glad to have drum corps here again."

The stands were pretty big so it's hard for me to estimate the crowd size. (750-1,000) If it wasn't for the rain I think the numbers would have been much bigger. The stadium was great for a drum corps show. Without a track it seemed the crowd was right on top of you.

The field did get soggy but the grass was great. (I would love to hit a golf ball off of it. You wouldn't even have to use a tee. It was firm dense grass. The kind that leaves a great divot.)

The crowd response was great! Everyone got a standing O. They didn't wait for the show to end before they applauded. If they saw or heard something they liked they got on their feet and let you know. Not quite a Northeast crowd but not nearly as reserved as some of the other shows I've been to in the South.

I had a great time this weekend with the Loud Music Symposium and the show. Between the drum clinic and the LMS there was a lot of good publicity for drum corps. Our activity was really sold and showcased.

See y'all in Kingston!

No disrespect was intended and I did not intend to "take" any victory away from Bush. I've got buddies marching Bush this year and I'm glad to see that they're doing well.

I haven't had a chance to look at a recap yet, but the way that I've always looked at scores as far as "comparing" groups is this: If Group X is separated from Group Y by tenths of a point, it means that they are of equal standing and that the placement could very well be reversed the next night.

It's not like we're talking about a 10 point separation between groups, where that gap could be made up (you never say never), but it's not something you'd want to put money on happening.

My opinion that Bush vs Renegades was a "draw" last night was not intended to be a dis on either corps. It was based on how, since the scores were so close, you could run the same show, same performances, and it could've turned out the opposite way, with just as tight a spread. Those two corps are of the same standing right now. A month from now, things could be quite different.

That's all. Please don't go looking for animosity from me where there is none.

Not sure why you would take that little victory away from the Bushwackers.  I was at the show and liked both corps.  I thought it was just as tight as the scores showed it was.  But the bottom line is that Bucs were the clear winners and Bush beat the Renegades.  Not by a lot mind you, but a "W" is still a "W".

Factor in the upstate NY corps and of course the Minnesota team, and we're gonna have a very interesteing DCA in Scranton.

Oh by the way ... The Cabs should watch out.  I know they're getting better, but the Corpsvets and the Carolina Gold are strong.  Hurcs are coming along nicely and there's always the CRU- (yes we know ... THEY GO ON).  Could the Cabs drop out of finals?  I hope not!

As I said, its gonna make Scranton VERY interesting.

Sounds very much like South Milwaukee last week! Rained up until 30 minutes before the show and was peppered with marchers going down.