Final Rule Proposal Voting Results

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=c...92-9342d7ecd486

Age change - failed 4-18

Tony DiCarlo's pre show change - passed

George Hopkin's pre show change - passed with modifications 20-2

Field visual judge change - passed 20-2

Clarification on the GH pre show change

The George Hopkins “pre-show” proposal received much discussion. Concern was expressed that if most corps decided to perform a pre-show, all corps would feel pressured to do the same. A number of variables were thrown out for additional discussion prior to the vote. The final proposal voted on was as written, with the exception that the proposed 18 minutes between corps was modified to 17 minutes. In short, the corps will be able to utilize that pre-show time however they may wish. Additionally, corps that do not wish to utilize the allotted pre-show time may choose to stay off the field until they are ready to begin their performance. The proposal passed, 20 for and 2 against.
Edited by dbc03

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=c...92-9342d7ecd486

Age change - failed 4-18

Tony DiCarlo's pre show change - passed

George Hopkin's pre show change - passed with modifications 20-2

Field visual judge change - passed 20-2

Clarification on the GH pre show change

Today's results are NOT the final voting results, they are recommendations passed on from the instructor's caucus to the DCI voting members. Tomorrow the membership will hold the final vote on proposals.

Today's results are NOT the final voting results, they are recommendations passed on from the instructor's caucus to the DCI voting members. Tomorrow the membership will hold the final vote on proposals.

Not according to DCI

Here is a quote from the link:

Saturday evening, the voting membership of Drum Corps International gathered to pass final judgment on each of the 2010 rules proposals that were forwarded from the earlier instructors caucus session.

Whoops, I stand corrected. Seems they did indeed vote tonight.

Two interesting tid-bits that are easy to miss if you don't read the whole article:

"Post-show critiques, when corps staff members used to discuss their productions with the judging community on a periodic basis, have been replaced by more informal pre-show discussion opportunities with the judges."

-- It's going to be interesting to hear what the reasoning and intent is behind this change.

and...

"corps are now encouraged to send in synopses of their productions prior to the season. They will be shared with adjudicators so they can research the show concepts and listen to source music, allowing them to become familiar with the shows prior to the competitive season"

-- This is a long overdue change, and I welcome it.

Edited by Kamarag

Whoops, I stand corrected. Seems they did indeed vote tonight.

Two interesting tid-bits that are easy to miss if you don't read the whole article:

"Post-show critiques, when corps staff members used to discuss their productions with the judging community on a periodic basis, have been replaced by more informal pre-show discussion opportunities with the judges."

-- It's going to be interesting to hear what the reasoning and intent is behind this change.

probably so the staff can't complain about the numbers the judges give them.

and...

"corps are now encouraged to send in synopses of their productions prior to the season. They will be shared with adjudicators so they can research the show concepts and listen to source music, allowing them to become familiar with the shows prior to the competitive season"

-- This is a long overdue change, and I welcome it.

I see the positives in this. On the other side, the production is supposed to stand alone. 2008 Phantom Regiment did not require the judges to read about Spartacus prior to judging. I'm not really a fan of trying to explain your way to more points (which is how some critiques probably went)

Yikes. Having to explain your show prior to the season will not assist in translating things easier to casual audiences.

Mike

It already happens now, during the season. They've even held meetings outside of the shows for that purpose, and I'm fine with it. I like shows to be accessable on the surface too, but there's nothing wrong with having some deeper meaning that may not be perceived at first viewing....in fact I bet most of us love those little nuggets that we see on dvd 5 years later...

Yikes. Having to explain your show prior to the season will not assist in translating things easier to casual audiences.

Mike

Ok, I can see as an instructor where this could be both a good thing and a bad thing. Here's how it's good...

For any corps playing anything outside the envelope, or outside established corps-played idioms. Most of our music judges are band directors. They know classical, jazz and wind band music. But very few are really familiar with other styles of music...like pop and modern rock. Allowing them to see your "set list" ahead of time allows them to hear the original source material and research it accordingly. If the corps isn't doing a literal interpretation, they can note that on the synopses.

Of course, the bad side is that it can go too far in the wrong direction if the show requires a libretto...