Loudest Drum Corps -- 2011 Atlanta Edition

Hi All,

Well, it looks like TicketMaster decided that good seats for NFL would be good seats for DCI. In Atlanta, I've got front row seats, lower section, on/near the 50. I guess I won't be watching much drill. Anyway, this looks like a good opportunity to break out the sound meter again and see which Corps is putting out the sound power this season.

I did this last year at Quarterfinals (and hope to repeat the experiment at Prelims this year). http://www.drumcorps...orps-is-loudest

Here's where I need some assistance: I've heard almost all of the WC Corps this season via the Fan Network webcasts and the movie events. But, I certainly don't have all the shows memorized to know ahead of time when to get ready to measure a peak moment. Allow me to defer that to you with favorite corps or shows. For each performance, what would be a good loud moment? Any audio or visual cues that lets me know to get ready would be appreciated. For starters, I have 2 already in mind: Troopers -- the "infinity" chord and Crown -- "Bohemian Rhapsody" entrance after the pre-show. Please let me know of your suggestions.

I hope to be able to see (and measure) all the Corps in Atlanta, but right now no promises. I'll do my best.

Thanks much!

• Like 2

Here's where I need some assistance: I've heard almost all of the WC Corps this season via the Fan Network For each performance, what would be a good loud moment? Any audio or visual cues that lets me know to get ready would be appreciated.

The opening brass movement of the Boston Crusaders standing front and center certainly fits the bill for a " good, loud moment ", imo. I had to quickly dial back the volume on my computer speakers on Sat. as it almost scared the beejesus out of my wife that was in the other room. I apologized to her, and told her that I would dial the volume dial down several notches.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavaliers - The big brass arc towards the end, after the baritone/mello duet

Cadets- held chord at the end of the introduction of Angels in the Architecture (this is the hit after the first eighth note motif)

BD - the shout chorus in the middle with the micd soloists, the horn line is a blob on side 1

PR - First full ensemble hit in the Verdi Dias Irae (after the trumpet fanfare)

Madison - where the brass move into a company front after a chaotic section/drum break (starts with high brass)

Blue Stars - hit after the triplets in the last movement

Blue Knights - Isolated hit after drum break

excited to see how these match up!

i hope the corps dont read this......then all the amps will be turned up to "11". That would be fun to meter inside horn arcs :worthy:

Inside the horn arcs: I would LOVE to be able to do that! Definitely on my "bucket" list.

Academy: Right after the piccolo trumpet solo. Definitely pushed me back in my seat!

Pacific Crest: The opening impact. I don't remember any audio/visual cues that can help, but you can TOTALLY tell when it's about to happen.

BD: After the trumpet soli and multi-tonguing section. BIGGGGG sound.

PR: Elsa's. I believe the make a chevron when they play it? (someone please check me on that :D!)

I hope you have a great time!

Thanks for all the input! Keep 'em coming!

If you're down that low, whoever has their amps cranked highest wins, even if you can't hear the rest of the corps

• Like 1