Controversial Shows

Nnnnnnope....it was a gigantic North Vietnam flag that got pulled out at the end of te show (to the fantastic last-chopper-leaving-Siagon sound effects from the battery)....all red and yellow....not a bit of white or blue in there,

I wasnt sure about the year of Cadets,,,Amen, I was either really young or I wasnt born I just knew it happened.. BUt I KNOW at the end when SCV brings out the flag in the one corner it does have the American stripes... Its one of my favorite SCV shows.. if you have the finals tape watch it it is there, In the bottom right/left hand corner. Oh and I never said I was completly acurate..

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't hear anyone say it, but i wouldn't doubt that some closed-minded people somewhere were offended by Phantom forming into a huge pentagram in 2006.

SO apparently it was 79 That Cadets "Amen" happened.. the reason why I think i had the date wrong was because a) i was born in the middle of the 79 season... and B) as someone stated vocals were finally allowed come 1984 so that must be my confusion... but I was right that it happened!!!!

What's really odd about that is Boo's column was ALWAYS a satire ... You should have read the one on Phantom's "Dreams of Desire" show, entitled "Dreams of Perspire". Totally hilarious stuff, which he longer does. Too bad, it was great to have that sharp an eye skewering the foibles of the activity so adroitly.

Either you guys didn't read DCW regularly, or were just humor-impaired.

It does explain the Suncoast mob with the torches and pitch forks following Boo at of the stadium after quarterfinals the following year ... b**bs

It took me a long time to figure out Boo = Sward. I always thought that Sward's commentary on the shows was just a simple bit of reading waaaaaaay too much into things.

I remember Mike's skewering of Suncoast 1988. It remains my favourite Suncoast show, however. Loved the chickie with the monster calves, loved the music, the drill was ok, loved the concept in general.

Check again, there's a little bit of stars and stripes in the bottom right corner of the big flag.

Yup. I remember hearing something about the interpretation of that, too. But I don't remember what it was.

Still very impressed by the chopper effect.

93' Star is fondly looked at now, but at the time many where quite outspoken in their disdain for the show. They were not ready to have their preconceptions of what a 'drum corps show' should be challenged. It was interesting to see a show that explored concepts of music as a contrast of sound and silence, tension and release, end up creating audience reactions that contrasted from joyous rapture to booing. Even today on this very forum it is still debated, partly because it was the final notes from SoI as a drum corps, but that show still hits nerves with many.

nevermind...

Edited by chris ncsu

'77 Garfield, while not placing all that well competitively, had a really entertaining show and some great brass players ... "Pieces of Dreams" was my favorite song from that show.

Seems like an interesting show...Star Trek, Pieces of Dreams, Jesus Christ Superstar...

Actually 77. In 78 they had the sign that said 'no vocal amen due to 1 pt penalty'

Yeah, yeah, I know. They got me already :D

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

Beautiful.