Controversial Shows

It took me a long time to figure out Boo = Sward. I always thought that Sward's commentary on the shows was just a simple bit of reading waaaaaaay too much into things.

I remember Mike's skewering of Suncoast 1988. It remains my favourite Suncoast show, however. Loved the chickie with the monster calves, loved the music, the drill was ok, loved the concept in general.

The difference was that Rosalie was completely serious ... Boo always took things to the extreme allowing the exaggeration to drive home what was humorous about the situation to begin with. It was like Jonathan Swift for the bucks and shako crowd.

I remember one of Rosalie's columns about a Cavies show with a Christian theme where she equated the double-sided butterfly nets the guard was using with the "twoness" of Christ. I pretty near soiled myself reading it, but she was being straight about it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast Sound '88: "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble"

From the Suncoast Web site: Pushing the envelope again in 1988, Suncoast produced another original show entitled "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - written for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble," composed by Robert Smith. It was a conceptual show, depicting how children imitate adults and later, as adults, play children's games. The musically and visually challenging show placed the corps in 10th place at finals.

Man...THAT SHOW WAS BRILLIANT...so different...Robert Smith Brass Arrangement.

One helluva talented guard they had that year...and that stuff with Rifle work, was Insane.

No, 1977, their 13th place Finals year.

Check again, there's a little bit of stars and stripes in the bottom right corner of the big flag.

Hmmmm...I;ll have to dig out my tapes...my eye was always drawn to teh yellow star.....

Yes, the year was 1971 and the Cadets ( called Garfield Cadets then ) had as their theme that year " No More War ! " that featured in the drill design visual a peace sign. As you can imagine, this did not go over too well with many in attendance at the VFW Nationals that year.

Ironically, it was the Cadets that did a very patriotic themed show a few years back that some fans thought was pandering in wake of the 911 attack earlier that year. 'Guess controversy is not something foreign to the Cadets.

The first year of the Peace Sign was 1970...during "White Rabbit". THAT is the year Tony Schlechta, the head VFW guy, publically said we did not deserve to be at VFW Nats in Miami.

1971 was the Revolutionary War show, complete with libretto we passed out in the stands. Did the Peace Sign to Battle Hymn. A controversial show as well due toi the total-show theme and libretto.

1972 was the No More War show. We passed out a placemat-sized poster that had, I think, 3 photos...the frist was two young kids, a boy and girl, playing together. The next showed the two of them saying goodbye as he went off to war (both in Cadet uni). The last was the gal looking sadly at a casket that had the guy's shako and gloves on top. Peace Sign formed to "A Mighty fortress is Our God" and moved to a theme from Mahler's 5th.

1971 Peace Sign to Battle Hymn...from the DVD video I purchased at drumcorpsvideos.com...

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

One could say 2004 Crown was controversial. Singing Was not too liked by anyone. We were hated by many on this forum.

'Doesn't fit the definition of this thread originator for " controversial " which the poster defined " controversial here" as " politically, socially, morally. etc controversial". The poster specifically asked us NOT to include" narration, amps and blah blah "( I presume singing )

Edited by X DM

93' Star is fondly looked at now, but at the time many where quite outspoken in their disdain for the show. They were not ready to have their preconceptions of what a 'drum corps show' should be challenged. It was interesting to see a show that explored concepts of music as a contrast of sound and silence, tension and release, end up creating audience reactions that contrasted from joyous rapture to booing. Even today on this very forum it is still debated, partly because it was the final notes from SoI as a drum corps, but that show still hits nerves with many.

And this '93 Star show THEME " Barber and Bartok " was politically, socially, or morally "contoversial " how again ?

Edited by X DM

Hmmmm...I;ll have to dig out my tapes...my eye was always drawn to teh yellow star.....

Yes, it is definitely there, and I believe just added for finals. I saw it all three nights, and it was just the red/yellow flag up until Saturday. The notion of some flack about a huge communist symbol does ring a bell...

I could see how 1988 Suncoast Sound was a controversial show .. but i ABSOLUTELY LOVE that show is so erie and creepy and cool,,, deffinetly ahead of its time and on the edge. One of the best shows in 88 or in the eighties in my opinion. I wish they were still around putting out products like that... AMAZING SHOW

Yes, it is definitely there, and I believe just added for finals. I saw it all three nights, and it was just the red/yellow flag up until Saturday. The notion of some flack about a huge communist symbol does ring a bell...

This seems to fit the definition of a Corps making a political statement that some might find " controversial ". The '71 Cadets " peace symbol " and a few years ago, the Cadets American Flag salute by the Corps members in a routine a few years ago are both political statements. As well as the Bridgemen doing the " War Between the States" theme and having the show changed at Finals in Birmingham. Ala.where the Confederate Soldier comes out ahead in the final battle scene against the Union Soldier. These are all political statements and whenever one injects a political statement into a show theme, there is bound to be some controversy with some people somewhere.

And this '93 Star show THEME " Barber and Bartok " was politically, socially, or morally "contoversial " how again ?

I think the only real controversy was whether or not the emperor was wearing any clothes. I still say not, but many disagree.

Edited by DCIHasBeen