I disagree. What you are saying is nice and noble, and it sounds so positive and heart-warming for the Scouts that they should have such a chance. However, it is not the job of DCI to worry about whether a corps can carry on their tradition. That job belongs to the Scouts organization ONLY.

Quoted for truth.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me since I've been out of the loop for many years.... but wouldn't pulling out of shows for 2 weeks (which I think is a bad idea to begin with) effect their seeding during finals week?

What does this mean, exactly? Is Madison in danger of folding? Are they having financial issues? Are their major staff problems that are causing the kids to have a miserable summer?

I don't think so. All thats happening is that they are scoring lower than we're used to seeing. What in the world does "doing the right thing" have to do with anything? Its not DCI's job to make sure Madison is a top 12 corps...its Madison's job. Is that Madison "tradition" somehow in jeopardy because they have a low scoring season? I'd like to think their "tradition" is built on something a teeny bit more than that.

From what I hear, those kids are having a good time this summer. THAT seems like a more important tradition to me.

Nicely put. I take SCV 2005 for instance. Many said and still say today that they weren't the same Vanguard, and in the last couple years people have been saying "Welcome Back, Vanguard!". Vanguard was never gone. 2005 was as much Vanguard as it gets, and the members that year absolutely LOVED it. In fact, some of the members of the drumline that year are on their way to being big names in the music and percussion world. A tradition of making people great at what they do and to love what they do is a much bigger one than a tradition of making the top 3, 6, 12, 17, whatever.

I disagree. What you are saying is nice and noble, and it sounds so positive and heart-warming for the Scouts that they should have such a chance. However, it is not the job of DCI to worry about whether a corps can carry on their tradition. That job belongs to the Scouts organization ONLY.

And by all means I believe Madison is carrying on their tradition. Perhaps they are younger than they usually are, and we all know of the director changes and staff changes, yet the organization is still intact, and they may well have a plan in place to not only continue their amazing tradition, but to get out of debt, bring back all their fine members for next year, and to put a very competitive show on the field. But all of these things will be done by the Scouts...not DCI.

As for leaving tour and not appearing at perhaps 8 to 10 shows in order to re-write their show (all of it or part of it), there are difficulties that present themselves today that did not years ago. So many people make plans to attend shows based on who is going to be there, and in this Internet-age these people have that information well ahead of time. They commit major dollars on gas, tickets, hotels, food, souvies, and more, all to see these corps. And we all know that costs are unbelievable today. DCI has a revenue sharing plan when it comes to appearance fees, APDs, VODs, and Webcasts, and much more, and losing a corps like Madison for a long time would not be welcome and not very professional. Unless we are talking about some major break down, like a major bus accident, severe sickness, financial problems that lead to taking the corps off the road, and things of that nature, then it is unlikely we would see a corps leave the competitive field just to fix their show.

The bottom line is they had plenty of time to fix their show. It's called winter camps and spring training. Now it is time to perform and get in what changes you can while cleaning. For DCI and the other corps to take a blind eye while one of it's corps goes home to save itself because they don't like their show is akin to asking all the corps that Madison usually beats if they don't mind the absence, so that once Madison returns they can go back to beating the "usual suspects" who we don't mind seeing in 17th to 22nd place. And did anyone bother to ask one of those corps if they would like a reprieve?

It worked in 1976...welcome to 2007. No way!

JW

Never said it was a good idea .. nor that it should be done. I was just responding to the question of what would/could happen should that situation take place. The best thing to do is to suck it up and grind it out. They'll be fine.

A note on DCI "stomping their foot" on the notion of pulling out of shows- I recall that Cadets had to pull out of a show either last year or in 2005 because of a bus break-down en route to the show, and I don't think that DCI handed out any kind of repercussions or penalties.

Whether or not that would be the case if a corps voluntarily "left tour" for an extended period, you'd have to ask Dan Acheson. But I do know this- pulling out of 2 weeks' worth of shows means that you lose a considerable amount of MONEY in performance payouts- and let's not forget that they'll have to find housing for that time as well, which also costs money.

For all those who have been wanting to see Madison to be more fiscally responsible, this doesn't seem the best way to go. Better to tough this season out, put on the best show they can in Pasadena and let the results fall where they may, and then figure out a plan to ensure the LONG-TERM financial and competitive viability instead of caving into the external pressure to knee-jerk and recreate themselves- again.

Just for clarity, it was a collision of two busses in Wichita Kansas in 2005. There were several injuries and both busses were out of commission for 3 days until new windshields were shipped and one of the motors repaired on the fly. This was about 4 days before SA regional.

The "stomping their foot" comment was lighthearted. I posted that on not much sleep and 2 parades under my belt this morning .... was kinda tired. Now that my catnap is over with .... I would have worded that post much differently. I've never seen a corps voluntarily leave tour. I have seen food poisoning, bus crashes and mother nature cripple a corps travel ability ... but that's about it.

As I said in the last post, they should and will stick it out. They'll be fine by Pasadena. If anything, the men are getting one of the most (long term and life changing) rewarding experiences of any Scout who has come before them. They will learn perseverance and fortitude like none other. Keep it up men ... you're showing great character during difficult circumstances!!!! Don't forget a second of this summer ... it will shape the rest of your life.

For crying out loud - there's 4 weeks left of the season. Why are we writing them off already.

Scoring is a matter of execution in performance. Give the Men from Madison a chance to perform - perhaps they've come out slower than the DCP crowds have expected, but if they stick to making the changes to the show that every corps makes from May through August, they will have stuck to what is important to the corps and doing the best they could.

Not every corps can be a top corps year after year. Give them a chance perfect what they've been working on for six months!

That just shows how wonderfully deep your appreciation is for this board - all you could offer in this great thread was to point out a spelling error? Sad.....

You can make that shallow inference from just 7 letters?

It...was...a....joke...

sheesh

Edited by dciguy01

You can determine all of that just 7 letters?

It...was...a....joke...

sheesh

I think it's time for some...SERIOUS CAT

44v8itg.jpg