Should they pull a 1976 and cancel appearences for the next two weeks, and completely redo the show?

For you newer fans, in 76 they had a disco/funk show that did not score well. The pulled out of 2 weeks of shows, learned a new show based largely on the previous years show, and came in 2nd at DCI.

YES PLEASE! I can't stand to se what's happening to them.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in defense of the Madison show....

yes...it was dirty dirty....

yes the ending is kind of a baffler..

but those boys can play...and it is a VERY enjoyable show

a traditionalist will enjoy this show more than a "new age" fan will...it's recognizable songs that the horns wail on...

Please report your findings here is this post.

(Off Topic here)Sorry, but one of your signature entries inspired me to ask if anyone has started a "Missed the bus" thread? Every corps out there has to have a least one member that could contribute! :)

The separation anxiety along with the climax of finally finding your mobile summer family would be very entertaining!

Should they pull a 1976 and cancel appearences for the next two weeks, and completely redo the show?

For you newer fans, in 76 they had a disco/funk show that did not score well. The pulled out of 2 weeks of shows, learned a new show based largely on the previous years show, and came in 2nd at DCI.

That presumes that the reason Madison isn't scoring well is because the judges hate the show design that is otherwise well performed. From what I've read (I'll see tomorrow), that's not the case this year, they're just dirty. They have a young corps and a new staff. So, no. The corps should take its lumps, come back next year with a year under their belts, and gradually improve.

Madison is not imploding. We're not hearing stories about members being mistreated. Because of the management and staff turnover, they will have a rebuilding year or two to regain stability and experience. If the Board throws this management team overboard after a few years, it will be cause for concern.

Can we instead focus on the bright side? Who will we welcome to the Top 12 this year?

Edited by Phillygwm

idk how well that would work. I think that it would work quite well considering that these kids would have a motivation to bring it up. Part of madison low scores this year is some changing in staff....and quite a few people aged out last year....

It'd be interesting to know what some of the biggest jumps from one year to the next year in placement have been over the last 4 or 5 years - this ain't the 70's, so I don't see anybody jumping from 20th this year to 4th next year.

The Magic was 20th last year, they are not performing this year; Pacific Crest was 21st, so it would be sort of like them coming in 4th or 5th. Not impossible, but unlikely. Back in the 70s there were 50+ Div 1 corps, and corps moved up and down easier.

Shame on the program coordinator for letting this happen in the first place. After weeks of move-in SOMEONE should have realized the drill was a disaster. Chest thumping over "demading drill for 17 year olds" is misguided. Given the talent level the corps had to work with a smart drill would serve better than a difficlut one.

Fans should be demanding the head of the program coordinator & original visual designer. Their work has put the membership in a bad position. I am sure they are eating well and getting down the road OK. What they are not doing is enjoying the material they have to perform. I've read posts that alluded to the fact the members are sleeping less than desired but are working hard. Not what I would call a good experience. Once again adults making a mess of the kids situation.

I think it's very unfair to go after the staff like that. They haven't been given much to work with, and I'm talking about precious TIME. Remember, that early last fall while other corps were coming up with show concepts, putting early arrangements together, and doing recruiting, the Scouts were trying to figure out who was going to run the corps. Once the staff was put in place they had alot of work to do that normally would have been done by then.

in defense of the Madison show....

yes...it was dirty dirty....

yes the ending is kind of a baffler..

but those boys can play...and it is a VERY enjoyable show

a traditionalist will enjoy this show more than a "new age" fan will...it's recognizable songs that the horns wail on...

The only problem is that I have to wait until July 22nd to see them! I just can't wait! I'm taking my Mother to the San Antonio show - We'll both be wearing their awesome tour t-shirts!

Go Scouts!