Lowest Score

So, like...were they really that bad?

I don't know about the Northmen, but for the 72 finals scores, I'd love to see what the '72 panel with tick sheets would do to today's corps. I can guarantee there would be no 99's.....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But are we talking Div I or all divisions. I thought the original post was Div I.

The corps I posted were all open class or DI, according to their placement and classification at nationals. I remember scoring 30's with the '83 corps that I marched with, which went on to make top 25, which was a big deal back then.

July 2, 1993 Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 7th place 12.500

I could be wrong, but I think I remember a guy from the Northmen in that era winning Contra at I&E. You'd think he'd be worth 10 points by himself...

I could be wrong, but I think I remember a guy from the Northmen in that era winning Contra at I&E. You'd think he'd be worth 10 points by himself...

Two other things to keep in mind from the early 80's in DCM:

1. All corps were on Div1 sheets

2. Some shows had partial judge panels so the highest score possible was an 83

I have been mistaken in the past, but I seem to remember a Div. II/III corps called Prairie Fire at a competition in 1993. Don't remember where they hailed from. I remember three guys running around for 10 minutes. One played soprano one played baritone, and the third had a bass drum/cymbal contraption. It was hi-freakin-larious. I don't remember if they even received a score.

Patrick

You also have to keep in mind that the sheer number of corps in the 70s-80s meant that there was a greater spread in the numbers.

Let's use Florida Vanguard an example. They placed 43rd in 1980 with a score of 44.40 (very low by today's standards). If I remember correctly, there were about 50 corps competing in DCI finals that year. If you give your first corps up at 8:00am a 65.00 (about what our lowest scoring DI corps will typically earn by finals), by day's end -- 50 corps later -- you're going to have an awful lot of corps bunched together with very little point spread separating them. So, whileFlorida Vanguard may not have been THAT bad, their score of 44.40 showed how they fared relative to the other 50 corps they competed against.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Top 21?

Or any D-1 corps you can look down your nose at?

Not to mention that DCI Associate Membership used to be Top 25! There were, if I recall, over 60 corps in Open Class (now Div.1) prelims spread over two days in the mid to late 70's!

When I started marching in 1972, there were over 50 corps in Wisconsin alone - most competing - in all classes. In 1977, I believe there were seven left.

The corps should be more competitive right now...unlike pro sports there are fewer corps to take the talented players!

I knew the tick system was rough, but GEEZ!

During the era of the tick system, there are actually a few corps that achieved negative scores!

I wont embarass the corps by naming them here, though. :music:

When I started marching in 1972, there were over 50 corps in Wisconsin alone - most competing - in all classes. In 1977, I believe there were seven left.

Like I posted elsewhere, we had around 65 corps in 1972 in Ontario..... now there are 2 Div 3 corps. There has been a resurgence of Alumni corps, though, so maybe they will take an initiative to get another corps going.... it would be nice!