2007 DVDs - Request for Blu-ray/HD-DVD

For our marketing/recruiting materials, I shot our own (Kilties) performance on 1080i HDV (Canon HV10) - "full field" in Lisle, from the sideline in Racine, plus practice shots. It's really stunning to watch. Even when converted down to standard DVD, it still looks far better than if acquired on normal DV. I did the same for the winter guard my wife instructs - shot in 1080 wide, then res-down to DVD. Sweet.

I agree that from this point on, DCI should at least be published in 16x9 wide DVD. The cost, editing, and workflow is the same assuming the cameras are 16x9. It's just a different display ratio. We're getting used to black bars, right? I am.

But I also think they should at least SHOOT DCI in HD (if that is not already the production company's plan?) while they continue to deliver on DVD -- and then down the road, it could be re-released in HD when the economics make sense to sell it that way.

Here's my frustration: my ability to shoot and edit 1080i and at work burn to Blue-ray -- but don't have a 1080i TV to enjoy it at it's fullest, other than the conference room's 60-inch. For me personally- trapped on the PC monitor!

Doesn't DCI have to rent the video/sound equipment?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI needs to upgrade their cameras to HD without a doubt. I don't believe Bluray or HD-DVD is practical right now because such a tiny percentage of americans even have a hi-def tv. DCI should definitely do some research into what their consumers own, since obviously a high-def version would catch more eyes then the standard definition version we're stuck with now.

Also, eventually all physical distribution of movies, etc will be replaced with digital downloads (we've seen this already with music).

But obviously for dci, their goal is to turn a profit. If there is only a small number of people interested in high definition video then that will be money poorly spent.

I give it 5-10 years.

I agree that DCI/Tom Blair should shoot in HD, if for no other reason than archival purposes. Even though it's cost prohibitive to release on HD-DVD/Blue-ray right now, eventually it won't be, and it would be useful for DCI to start having this footage available for re-release and pojects like the Classic Countdown.

Either way, I agree... widescreen is the way to go. It's the perfect format for drum corps, and it's definitely going to be the standard in a few years' time.

I just thought of something. I've never been to one of these showings at movie theaters. Do they show these performance in 4:3 on the bigscreen too? If so....what a buzzkill!!! If they do utilize the entire screen, is the source image stretched to make it fit (making everything look fatter than natural)?? Can someone who has been to one of these showings comment? Thanks...

I just thought of something. I've never been to one of these showings at movie theaters. Do they show these performance in 4:3 on the bigscreen too? If so....what a buzzkill!!! If they do utilize the entire screen, is the source image stretched to make it fit (making everything look fatter than natural)?? Can someone who has been to one of these showings comment? Thanks...

4:3 on the big screen.

And video compression artifacts are life size.

4:3 on the big screen.

And video compression artifacts are life size.

That's a bummer. I'm glad I've never gone. I would have been disappointed.

I've been pushing for all DCI DVDs to be available in IMAX. Some day, IMAX might be available for home theaters and I want that option in case I ever end up with a living room five stories tall. Are you with me on this?

Okay, I wasn't even aware of this 16:9 thing, but I wasn't aware of 4:3, either. (I am not putting you on...I guess I never needed to be aware of it and I don't pay attention to technology.) I'm grateful to have any record of DCI performances and suspect that when consumer demand reaches a certain stage, things will be done to accomodate demand.

Might those that are responsible for such decisions know enough about what's coming down the pike to be waiting for whatever replaces 16:9?

I've been pushing for all DCI DVDs to be available in IMAX. Some day, IMAX might be available for home theaters and I want that option in case I ever end up with a living room five stories tall. Are you with me on this?

Ohhh yay......let's add some sarcasm to the discussion to make things interesting. :worthy:

Seriously, you are comparing something that will never happen to things that are already implemented in peoples homes. Yes, Blu-ray and HD-DVD aren't in many homes, but each has already been around for over a year and sales continue to rise. In the case of 16:9 and anamorphic widescreen DVDs.....those and been around for what....8-10 years now. We're not talking about future proofing DCI videos, we're just asking them to get with the times.

Okay, I wasn't even aware of this 16:9 thing, but I wasn't aware of 4:3, either. (I am not putting you on...I guess I never needed to be aware of it and I don't pay attention to technology.)

16:9 is better known as widescreen and represents the display ratio in width to height. 4:3 is the shape of your old-fashioned standard definition television. Here is a link to help you understand - Anamorphic DVD Explained

Might those that are responsible for such decisions know enough about what's coming down the pike to be waiting for whatever replaces 16:9?

To continue the sarcasm....yeah, let's get those people started on some holographic images so it can really be like we are right there are the show. :laugh:

Which is exactly why they should use record using the appropriate lenses instead of shooting in 4:3. This way, people with current technology TVs could enjoy the product more, and people that are behind the times can watch a squished image (unless they want to release both a widescreen and fullscreen version like they used to on DVDs). Do they even still sell fullscreen DVD versions of movies?? Take the hint DCI. B)

I realize that widescreen would look better (hi-def or not) on 16:9 TVs (like what I own), I was only pointing out that 16:9, in of itself, doesn't offer anything "more" in terms of available image. I was more refering to the common misconception (that I've seen on this forum) that widescreen=wide angle-- in other words, that you're getting to see "more" of the field with widescreen. That's simply not true-- you're just cropping the top and bottom of available image. Since many TVs (again, mine included) have this wider aspect ratio, an anamorphic DVD would great. It would allow me to avoid having to watch it with a smaller image, surrounded by black bars on the top and bottom. (Or rescaling it to fill my screen, which looks crappy, as someone has already mentioned, I believe.) However, a non-high def, non-anamorphic broadcast doesn't really do anything for anyone--both groups are going to be stuck with black bars and cropping. So, if they're going to go widescreen, it only makes sense if there's going to be some verson available available for purchase later on in either hi-def or anamorphic DVD. Otherwise, it's a waste of space.