Louisville - July 11, 2007

Hello again, Drum Corps Planet readers, I'm here to bring you my impression of the Louisville, Kentucky drum corps show, just a few hours ago as of this writing on the 12th of July. If you're interested in my previous review of the season of Centerville, Ohio's Soaring Sounds 28, which I will reference in this review, please see that here.

It was another fine evening for drum corps and the stadium in Louisville the contest was at is an excellent facility for a mid-sized regional. The field is quite close to the stands, with no intervening track, and the horseshoe shape means that even when corps are playing backfield (which they do now more than ever) you can hear the effects quite clearly. My seats were just inside the 40, near the back of the lowest section, left side of the stands.

I regret to say I arrived later to the performance than I had intended, missing what I understood was the national anthem by the Derby City Knights and the first performance of the evening, Memphis Sound. I'm sorry, Sound fans and Knights members, I'd love to have given you a writeup but it was not meant to be.

I did manage to get my butt squarely in my seat for the Troopers, who I was excited to see again. Their performance in Centerville had really turned me on to them and I was looking forward to seeing how they'd improved, despite stagnant scores. I wasn't disappointed. The Troopers still have some rough edges on their production, with the drill demand currently exceeding the members' performance of it. I agree with what another member said on the forums, that the new uniforms need something to break up the middle of the uni. My other big gripe with Troop was the inclusion of body movement--sorry, but even with my somewhat limited familiarity with the Troopers, they just don't seem like the body movement kind of corps. That said, I still love a lot of stuff the Troopers are doing--some great brass moments, the high stepping simply tickles me, and the overall look and feel of the group is excellent. But I have to say the moment of the night for me--the entire evening--was the sunburst. They must have changed it slightly since Centerville, it felt like the buildup took another second or two--which means that my entire body was covered in goosebumps, I felt a huge adrenaline rush, and I couldn't stop myself from yelling "YEAH!!" so loudly that the high school colorguard girls two rows in front of me jumped. I have never felt that way before watching a drum corps performance, taped or live, and I didn't realize until after Troop had left the field my hands hurt from clapping. Thank you, Troopers. Thank you so much for being back and sharing your history with me.

There were, of course, other fine performing ensembles at this contest, which I will get to now.

Southwind was up next, and I must say I had some trouble understanding what they were getting at with their performance. The "InTheLoop" theme was conveyed very well through their drill, not entirely unlike Cavies 2003 Spin Cycle, but the one guard girl being left "out of the loop" seemed less well integrated. Loved the cymbals section, and was very pleased with the ending Southwind "S" that splits apart and reforms but with a new loop in the very middle. Southwind's new uniform also works spectacularly well, it does a bang up job hiding visual dirt, of which there was a fair bit (I think this might have been the group where I saw a member of the snares out of step...yikes!). At this point, however, Southwind's definitely a strong contender for semifinals--some strong writing in brass and drill means if they can clean up more, they can make it in.

The Glassmen took the field and my impressions were more or less on par with those from my Centerville review--G-dub's guard is one of the most spectacularly costumed and most in-character of the season, and is also extremely well integrated. As I said in my other review, this show has the complete package and does a great job moving along from start to finish. A very well rounded show that at this point looks like a shoe-in for finals and could give Boston and BK some trouble.

Speaking of Boston, the Crusaders were up next, performing what sounded suspiciously like a greatest hits show wrapped up in a package that I was frankly bamboozled by. What does Picasso have to do with this production? Aside from the easels on the field and the guard references through costuming and flag design, Picasso has nothing to do with this show, which has some BAC standards, a big brass sound, and a strong drumline. The horns did a fine job and I was humming along with much of the music, especially La Fiesta, although they did seem to have the problem of playing great when they're loud but then being unable to find a softer volume. The drums had an excellent groove in their feature, which I ate up. The drill relied fairly heavily on maneuvers where two members were paired, but you can see the style isn't that different from 2000 or 2003. I felt this was a strong performance that just suffers from confusing branding--it will be great to listen to, but watching it just leaves me scratching my ear as to why a dead artist is being involved in what's otherwise a firey romp through Crusaders classics.

The Cavaliers went on after BAC, and I must open by saying that this year's Cavaliers show has surprised me as to how much enjoyment I've gotten out of it. The audience really was eating out of the Cavies hand, as someone in the Louisville Lounge thread put it, because it sounded like the upper deck was nothing but 15 year old female Cavies fans. That said, they really do have an impressive package this season and probably shouldn't be counted out for the title. "Pressure" is one of my favorite pieces from the season, and the entire show has a very classical slant that reminds me a lot of 1999, but with the attitude of 2005. The new ending really needs to get in there sooner rather than later--you can truly tell that something's missing, and I hope whatever the Cavies have come up with, it's equally impressive and entertaining as the rest of their performance this year.

Cadets fans who'd rather hear something upbeat might want to skip this next section because I've got some rather disillusioned words about the Cadets show, leaning almost entirely on the narrative aspects. I will be completely civil about it, however, and I represent no one with these opinions but myself. There will be no mention of George Hopkins or bashing thereof, and no corny puns about "This I Believe," so please read with an open mind, as I've tried to listen and write with one.

[sTART RANT]

The Cadets this season have a talent level that is, frankly, off the charts. If I were to pick who I think's going to take it all in Pasadena, the Cadets would be my easy choice, and I wouldn't bet their score will be any lower than a mid 98. The horns smoke, the drums pound, the drill amazes. The Cadets have deserved to win in the past and will deserve to continue winning in the future. Unrelated to this, I confess I have a problem, and a big one, with the narration.

Because of the narration, I will never enjoy this show, and that destroys me. I'm not anti-narration, by a long shot. I enjoy the 2005 Blue Devils show greatly, love the announcer's voice and mannerism, and think the narration is integral to the concept (I honestly think he gets undue hate, he did a great job playing his character). When I listen to 2005 and 2006 Cadets, I speak the lines along with the characters and narrators. I think this year's Bluecoats narration is a great addition to the show, and I think the Crossmen's radio-tuning from last year was truly innovative.

My own checklist for narration/amped vocals goes something like:

1. Does the narration/vocals purely add ambiance? (Cadets '05, Bluecoats '07 are examples of this)

2. Does the narration/vocals explain the story on the field in ways that are helpful to the audience? ('06 Cadets, '05 Blue Devils are the obvious choices)

3. Does the narration/vocals allow the group to incorporate some kind of unique effect? (Crossmen '06, Cadets '06 ballad and '05 drumspeak feature, and perhaps more grudgingly, both sections of Crown '04)

If your vocals aren't adding ambiance, explaining the story, or adding a unique effect, I probably have a problem with them. I feel this year's Cadets vocals fall into that category. There's no story being told beyond the narration, the ambiance of the pieces is disconnected, and the effect is just talking. Sentimental, perhaps, but not unique. All of this, is, of course, my humble opinion.

I'm sorry, but I can't tune out the vocals any more than I can unhear "KRYSTAL!" or "FRANK IS AN AMERICAN BAD***!" I feel like I'm being deprived the enjoyment of one of the most talented corps I will have the chance to hear for a long time, and I honestly sat through the Cadets performance in a depressed stupor because of it. And you can judge me if you like, and perhaps I'm overreacting a little, but the feeling the Cadets leave me with is not anger but sadness. The narration in their program is the difference between me enjoying their show immensely and never wanting to see it again. And I'm sorry to report this.

[END RANT]

Phantom Regiment closed out the evening, with their "On Air" themed production, and I was left with the impression that Phantom still has a long way to go before finals. I was never grabbed and shaken like their performance from last season, which I probably shouldn't expect to be as the style of show is quite different, but I was somewhat disappointed nonetheless. The opener of Vespertine Formations is breathtaking, especially the pit parts--and holy cow, the pit never seems to slow down, playing some really difficult sounding stuff for the entire performance. The drumline is excellent, easily a rival for both the Cadets and Blue Devils (and Bluecoats, perhaps?). The brass sounds a little blatty at times, especially the tubas, a problem that will hopefully be addressed before they start to build up the signature Regiment volume at the end of the season. The guard could probably sell the show better, but word is there's more costuming and conveyance of the birdlike nature on the way. I'm constantly stuck thinking that Firebird is a poor choice of a closer, because there's not a lot of variance in the music (it's sort of the same notes over and over) and Phantom's arranger really seems to have stretched to put in some technically demanding twists. Could this show medal? Definitely. But I don't see it winning, which disappoints me. Still, Phantom has a solid corps in a season that's already proved to have the difficulty level off the charts.

I didn't stay for the encore, sorry if you were looking for a report on that.

Thanks for reading, comments and criticism are helpful as always!

Edited by Gentleman Marcher

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

o hai. i wuz at louisville 2.

lawlz

Thanks for the review. Enjoyed how you presented your take on The Cadets as well.

Edited to remove the extremely long review quote.

Edited by Fincis

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time.

I tend to agree with your take on the Cadets more than others. From what I hear this corps is incredibly good and will certainly be one of the corps to beat come Pasadena. Anyone who thinks differently is frankly lying to themselves or they are just not dealing in reality. It's funny to me how everyone can count certain corps out of it, especially after an off-season, and then here we are...the usual suspects in the running once again (Cavs, BD, Cadets).

But...I agree with your assessment that more people are going to walk away from this show sad and puzzled because they could not make out much of the show or allow themselves to really get into the show, all because of narration, which, by the way, is being poorly used and the technology is crappy - especially for Cadets.

I am also upset to read about the delay before their show. Now, if this was a stadium issue, then no problem, but if this was a Cadets issue, I say start penalizing them and now, DCI! I get so tired of hearing about the problems, the time for setup, the "well, we need to work the bugs out" for Finals. For FINALS? Are you kidding me, how about all the people that want to hear a good show NOW? How about people that will only see the Cadets once, maybe twice?

This is a good corps, and I am sure many enjoyed them last night, but I agree with you. I think GH has decided he has to make this work, no matter what, and I already can't stand the stupid, pop-psychologist message in the narration. "We are the same, we're human beings, we're one family." Yeah, we're all just a bunch of protoplasm walking around sniffing glue and giving each other backrubs. And all the people that march drum corps were HS rejects and needed band and corps to save them. NOT. The message in their narration promotes the weakest image possible about the toughness, the mindset, and desire for hard work (not "we hate basics") that is really found in drum corps. I could go on and on, but I am just so tired of them having problems with technology.

For someone who seems to promote "Magnificent Human Beings" it seems that GH has a long way to go with promoting and actually following through with Magnificent Technology used by...well, you get the point.

JW

"Speaking of Boston, the Crusaders were up next, performing what sounded suspiciously like a greatest hits show wrapped up in a package that I was frankly bamboozled by. What does Picasso have to do with this production? " ( above review question )

Pablo Picasso was a Spanish artist. I'd imagine that's why Boston went with the spanish motif music in a show theme regarding him.

What " greatest hits show " did they play ? La Fiesta was the only song I recognized as one played by a couple of other Corps in previous decades. ( BD played the arrangement in the 70's identical to that way Woody Herman's band played it in the early 70's ) But when I heard Boston's rendition in a show this year, their arrangement was unlike others ie, battery and percussion lead in, and a much shortened version ( wish it was a little more lengthy ), and with an arrangement different than others I've heard played. In addition, unless I 'm mistaken, Boston's never played any of these songs in this year's show before.

I enjoyed reading your comprehensive review. Thanks for taking the time to share with us !

Edited by X DM

This is a good corps, and I am sure many enjoyed them last night, but I agree with you. I think GH has decided he has to make this work, no matter what, and I already can't stand the stupid, pop-psychologist message in the narration. "We are the same, we're human beings, we're one family." Yeah, we're all just a bunch of protoplasm walking around sniffing glue and giving each other backrubs. And all the people that march drum corps were HS rejects and needed band and corps to save them. NOT. The message in their narration promotes the weakest image possible about the toughness, the mindset, and desire for hard work (not "we hate basics") that is really found in drum corps. I could go on and on, but I am just so tired of them having problems with technology.

I agree with most of what you have to say about the technology issues, although from what I know, last night is the first time they've had any sort of major problems. As far as penalizing them, Im not sure why they should get any extra penalties, while corps with incomplete programs did not. We beat this issue to death a month ago, but if dci is NOT going to enforce timing penalties until san antonio (which is a whole diff. debate), then they sure as heck better keep that approach for everyone.

As far as your dislike for the narration, I'm not sure where you were going with the 'we hate basics' comment. For one, its one kid saying "i hate basics", just to counter someone else who likes it. There are plenty of people who hate basics in corps, and there are plenty of people that enjoy different parts of their day in a rehearsal. I think the message being conveyed here is perfectly normal, and about 10 times better than the crap they started the year with (we got in at 6am and blahblahblah). Also, how is the image portrayed in the closer the 'weakest' image. I think some people are uncomfortable with it because frankly it's true to more people in more ways than we admit. How many people that march drum corps will ever do something else in their life that they can be the best in the world at? How many people say they march corps because they get to feel like rock stars night after night, a feeling that they would never get in the real world because they lack the talent, looks, or social abilities to do so? While daniel's story may not fit everybody, there is no reason to demand that it should. I'd be curious to hear how you would go about better designing this section to accomodate the same idea. People feel like theyre being talked down to in this section, but guess what....we're a bunch of people that sit on a message board arguing about people that wear silly uniforms running around the field making pictures and playing music at the same time for some reason. If thats not the definition of dork, then I dont know what is.

No show is supposed to reach everyone in the same possible way. I dont think anyone is trying to say that everyone that's ever marched corps was a reject before, but im willing to bet we all either know someone like that, or we are someone like that. People on this board have already shared their stories, and im willing to bet a lot more could.

BTW...i think they are changing some of that cheesy/ponitificating narration in the openner, and perhaps the mics were an issue because of new timing, etc...

But...I agree with your assessment that more people are going to walk away from this show sad and puzzled because they could not make out much of the show or allow themselves to really get into the show, all because of narration, which, by the way, is being poorly used and the technology is crappy - especially for Cadets.

Actually, their audio technology when I saw them at Giant's Stadium is way better than it was in 05 and 06 at that point in the season.

I think they have been tweaking the text and reducing it constantly to get the right pacing of the show. Not sure some of what you are concerned about is even in the show anymore.

There were no tech problems when I saw them.

I agree with most of what you have to say about the technology issues, although from what I know, last night is the first time they've had any sort of major problems. As far as penalizing them, Im not sure why they should get any extra penalties, while corps with incomplete programs did not. We beat this issue to death a month ago, but if dci is NOT going to enforce timing penalties until san antonio (which is a whole diff. debate), then they sure as heck better keep that approach for everyone.

As far as your dislike for the narration, I'm not sure where you were going with the 'we hate basics' comment. For one, its one kid saying "i hate basics", just to counter someone else who likes it. There are plenty of people who hate basics in corps, and there are plenty of people that enjoy different parts of their day in a rehearsal. I think the message being conveyed here is perfectly normal, and about 10 times better than the crap they started the year with (we got in at 6am and blahblahblah). Also, how is the image portrayed in the closer the 'weakest' image. I think some people are uncomfortable with it because frankly it's true to more people in more ways than we admit. How many people that march drum corps will ever do something else in their life that they can be the best in the world at? How many people say they march corps because they get to feel like rock stars night after night, a feeling that they would never get in the real world because they lack the talent, looks, or social abilities to do so? While daniel's story may not fit everybody, there is no reason to demand that it should. I'd be curious to hear how you would go about better designing this section to accomodate the same idea. People feel like theyre being talked down to in this section, but guess what....we're a bunch of people that sit on a message board arguing about people that wear silly uniforms running around the field making pictures and playing music at the same time for some reason. If thats not the definition of dork, then I dont know what is.

No show is supposed to reach everyone in the same possible way. I dont think anyone is trying to say that everyone that's ever marched corps was a reject before, but im willing to bet we all either know someone like that, or we are someone like that. People on this board have already shared their stories, and im willing to bet a lot more could.

BTW...i think they are changing some of that cheesy/ponitificating narration in the openner, and perhaps the mics were an issue because of new timing, etc...

I had a great feeling performing with my class A corps. But you could never say I "felt like a rock star." This is an example of the Cadets promoting the top corps and certainly not speaking for evryones experience. It means many things to many people and I don't like the way they try to quatify it and say this is what drum corps is for everyone.

Drum corps was one of the best experiences in my life. However you cannot say it was my last great accomplishment; I don't lack talent to do other great things. I've performed with many other outstanding groups and musicians over the years. Each experience is different. Not all are as great as drum corps but some are and some have been even more so but for different reasons. Many corps members go on to be VERY successful as professional musicians.

I know an former Trooper who gigs in Nashville and tours with country bands.

Please don't tell me what MY drum corps experience WAS or SHOULD HAVE been.

Please don't tell me what MY drum corps experience WAS or SHOULD HAVE been.

To be fair, I dont think I was, I dont think the cadets are either. Everyone is different, not one person is the same :P