Long Beach, CA

Something that's happened the last few years, esp. regarding PC and Mandarins, is that they tend to score very well when they're out west but always find their scores dropping a couple points when they head "east" (ie towards TX and the midwest). It'll be interesting to see whether that happens or not this year. Guess we'll find out in a week.

But what's majorly different this year is that PC already had a long outing out east/midwest to compete head-to-head with a lot of the other corps. Since PC was consistently in the thick of it (with regard to Madison, Seattle, Southwind and Troopers), and Mandarins are relatively close behind PC, it's reasonable to predict that both corps are in a pretty good placement range for semi's right now.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, PC seemed to hold there own last week. Within a point of Spirit and beating Madison, Southwind and Troopers.

I can see the thought on BK/BC looking good for finals, but not so sure about the Colts. I have loved the direction they have been going and this year seems like a great step up for them, if the top wasn't so strong this year and looking at what is right behind them.

Having the chance to stop by and watch The Academy every now and then at practice, they just seem to have something special happening. Cant put it into words, and I know that is why they put their product on the field to be judged, but there is something there.

Hopefully everyone will go into finals week and perform their show of shows and leave it all on the field. Then the cards will fall where they may.

Congrats ACADEMY on its first Gold Medal in Division I Competition.

Having the chance to stop by and watch The Academy every now and then at practice, they just seem to have something special happening. Cant put it into words, and I know that is why they put their product on the field to be judged, but there is something there.

I would now agree. I wasn't so sure, about 2 weeks ago. I saw academy today at practice and at the show. I was pleasantly surprised with the tremendous improvement in the show over the last couple of weeks. Their weak link, the color guard, is no longer a weak link. The work is finished and is actually pretty clean. Doesn't even look like the same guard. Nice job Peter Gomez. The drill is much more interesting with all the leg and horn moves they have added. The show is really starting to jell. It really keeps your interest all the way thru. I would like to see a stronger ending for the last 15 to 30 seconds of the show. Other than that, it's pretty complete. I was worried about the lack of judges input for the last 3 weeks, when they stayed at home. I think that that may still be a question, but it looks like they are going to pull it off. They got 2 legitimate standing ovations tonite. The drum line execution is still a question mark. But, they have now added Ralph Hardimon in addition to the Percussion Head who followed him at Santa Clara. They couldn't be doing much more with the staff at this point. With this staff, I would have to give them an edge for a 10 thru 12 spot. I overhead one of their souvie truck guys after the show talking to someone. He said that they will just see what happens this year. I didn't say anything but I think they may just a little too laid back. They may not realize how close they are to making finals. How many people in present and past corps would have given anything to be their position now. In my opinion, they need to work the kids a little harder for the next 3 and a half weeks. You can sleep when your dead.

I didn't say anything but I think they may just a little too laid back. They may not realize how close they are to making finals. How many people in present and past corps would have given anything to be their position now. In my opinion, they need to work the kids a little harder for the next 3 and a half weeks. You can sleep when your dead.

Ahhhh....but consider the effects on your performance in not worrying about making top 12 or not! Just do your show and let the scores fall where they may.

If there's one thing Academy has shown, it's the patience of a saint re their competitive program and improvement....by not pressuring themselves, they may pressure themselves of a better quality performance.

Ahhhh....but consider the effects on your performance in not worrying about making top 12 or not! Just do your show and let the scores fall where they may.

If there's one thing Academy has shown, it's the patience of a saint re their competitive program and improvement....by not pressuring themselves, they may pressure themselves of a better quality performance.

Ok, let's see. Will the other 7 corps trying for the last 2 finals spots be working their butts off or be "not pressuring themselves"? Seems like the answer is obvious.

Something that's happened the last few years, esp. regarding PC and Mandarins, is that they tend to score very well when they're out west but always find their scores dropping a couple points when they head "east" (ie towards TX and the midwest). It'll be interesting to see whether that happens or not this year. Guess we'll find out in a week.

True for past years but not 2007. Did you not know that PC just got back from 2 full weeks in the Midwest/East Coast, beating head-to-head southwind, madison, troopers, pioneer, and cascades. and at the allentown regional they beat crossmen (different nights, same judging panel) and were in 14th place. (and at that just .95 out of the top 12 that weekend). just some food for thought in regards to you comment about the matter. Good luck to PC and Mandarins as they head out to see their competition soon!

There is a LOT of drum corps left between now and Pasadena.

You don't win a finals spot in July, you win it in August. The big question will be, whose show has the "legs" to take them there - i.e. difficulty, complexity and sophistcation on all levels. Too many times I have seen a "great" show lose its luster and drop in the rankings because it was done too early and had no where else to go. San Antonio is going to be verrry interesting this year.

One thing to consider with Academy. IF they make finals, then the pressure will be on to run a FULL tour next year. No way will DCI let a finalist sit at home - you need to get out there and defend your spot. We. as fans, want our corps out on tour. Will Academy have the financial resources to sustain... or will the burden of their own success produce yet another one-hit wonder?

bump

Academy, PCrest and Mandarins ... if you "believe" (which I do) the scores from the Left Coast last night, they have certainly put Madison back on the semifinals bubble.

How strange it is to currently see the Madison Scouts and the Crossmen being the ones on that bubble. I find it very sad that two corps I also liked seeing and listening to have fallen so far ...