Cavalier Show Design

I would hardly call travis emaciated...he still had plenty of meat on him :P

The rest of your post is a little outside the realm of this thread for me to debate, so ill let it die (Shocker i know :) )

That's fine. I'm just not sure the weight of twin members is a relevant metric, as there are way too many factors to take into account.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Points here.

1. No matter how hard a drill move looks if you are not playing a brass part while doing the move it is NOT hard.

2. Difficulty and demand on the members should play a part in the score and then the ability to make it look much easier than it really is should be rewarded even higher.

So corps should have assigned point values to every second that they play while moving, how many sets there are, what the step size is, how many bpm it is, how many notes there are, how high the notes are, etc.? B/c then everyone would just jazz run around the perimeter of the field at 200 bpm play 16th note runs for 11 minutes b/c they can only get so many points doing anything less...

Wow, I think you just made the Cadets' alums here do this.... :worthy:

The argument is, and whether pro-Cavalier style fans respond to it or not is obviously a lost cause, that The Cavaliers do not play difficult music while marching difficult drill, for the most part. They are unlike the majority of the top 12, and I believe that the reason why this technique is not catching on isnt due to that fact that it is smarter, but that it is believed to be a cop-out technique that happens to melt the judges hearts.

Show designers are not stupid or ignorant people, and if the rest of the top 12 wanted to march this technique they would have already begun to do so. To achieve a wholeheartedly challenging show with extreme excellence, ala Cadets 2005, impresses me much more than completing a less challenging show with extreme excellence, like Cavaliers 2002.

These examples stand out as the clearest argument, though there are plenty more corps who have done this (I haven't forgotten about BD, Regiment, SCV, etc).

"Looks the most difficult.... YES!

... Is the most difficult.... NO!"

IMHO. :)

edit: not a member/affiliated with either corps.

Edited by yabetterbelieveit

2 Points here.

1. No matter how hard a drill move looks if you are not playing a brass part while doing the move it is NOT hard.

2. Difficulty and demand on the members should play a part in the score and then the ability to make it look much easier than it really is should be rewarded even higher.

Please stop twisting our words. I have already agreed with another poster who said the cavaliers show is difficult, and my body aches thinking about marching any drill, let alone what they do. All we have said, is that playing while doing said move is MORE hard. Obviously every corps has some times when the do their hardest moves, horns down, drum solo, etc.., but the cavaliers make this their rule, while to others, it is the exception. Im not even sure what you were saying with your second point...

My question to the OP is:

Do you really have that much malcontent for a corps that you'd spend that much time berating their program?

I just don't understand why people would rather berate the groups they dislike, then celebrate the ones they love.

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

All we have said, is that playing while doing said move is MORE hard.

We all need to stop speaking in absolute truths. Some drill moves can't be performed while playing...period. Some horns down moves are harder then the limited amount of horns up moves. Because lets face it, you can only play so well, so fast, at so large a step. The body is not limited to just that.

We all need to stop speaking in absolute truths. Some drill moves can't be performed while playing...period. Some horns down moves are harder then the limited amount of horns up moves. Because lets face it, you can only play so well, so fast, at so large a step. The body is not limited to just that.

Please read my previous post. I admitted that all groups take some time off for very good reasons. Nobody is asking them to play for 11.5 minutes, but the disparity i expect to see between them and the other top corps begs some interesting questions. And to those suggesting we just support the corps we love, please...This forum would not exist if we all did that. Threads thanking corps for existing or praising one corps are either met with critique, and if they are not, they fall of the front page of this particular forum within a few hours, whereas we have hundreds of pages worth of controversy..