Drum Corps Mythbusters!

Here's one that I don't know can be proved/debunked:

* Madison Scouts were intentionally "given" the top seed performance spot in 1988 (the year of the 'blind draw') for whatever reason. I know people who SWEAR they were on the field at the time of the draw (staff members of various corps) and saw a DCI official (can't remember names) place the No.1 seed paper slot into the hands of Madison's corps director.

This was before I was a drum corps fan, so I don't know much more than what I've heard from others, seen on video/DVD, and hear on tapes/CD's. I don't know why DCI would give Madison the top spot other than they were a sweet corps that year, and obviously a crowd favorite.

Can anyone say without a doubt either way? Can anyone else corroborate?

The Garfield Cadets went on last in 88. I do remember standing in the tunnel and hearing the crowd and thinking "oh man...."

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person that was gonna march Star in 1990 (I ended up marching with another corps), I can tell you first hand that I heard a lot of booing and negative comments regarding Star...both on and off the field. It always seemed to be more the case after Mid-America (Nikk, would you like to give the History lesson on that?).

The booing in 1993 was more prevalent and unabashed. I remember saying at a show after they booed Star, "they aren't blooing," to which some fans around me laughed.

Much of the angst that year dealt with the modern approach the corps was taking that year. It made many very uncomfortable--seeing the hornline incorporate body movement--heaven forbid...and those uniforms?!>!?

Prior to 1993, the booing might have stemmed from Bill Cook's flagrant display of money for the corps. New uniforms every couple of years seems commonplace now, but 20 years ago, it was a big thing--and many fans (and corps members) were jealous. This of course came on the heels of Cook's comment that "we have the best drum corps money can buy." Along that same line of thinking, many folks at the time (incorrectly) thought that Cook was doing some home cooking with judges. Up until Mid-America (yestereday's version of today's San Antonio), the new little corps (which had recently knocked 27th Lancers out of Finals in their first competitive season) was never really in the mix for a title. By the time Mid-America (held in Bloomington, their hometown) rolled around, it was a very different story, and Star seemed to find its way near the top. I heard many friends and colleagues at the time say "yeah, anybody could field a quality corps with the resources and money Star has."

Star's success is nothing but brillant. The debate of this will go on forever, sadly. They did what it took to win. Today's corps are just learning that lesson.

I was there. I heard the booing. It was not a one year event and it wasn't a myth. I marched, I know. Those that booed the loudest were the ones that did not want change at the top. They were the ones that had the most to lose.

Is it any different today?

Elmo Blatch

I didn't know there was so much emotional baggage in drum corps...especially with Star. It's a shame that people can apprecaite greatness when it's in front of them.

i was at finals in 93, star got a tremendous(positive!) crowd response on a night that had some of the great shows of all time, including all of the top 3

MYTH?

:: The ovation for VK was so loud in '92 that the side 1 mics blew

MYTH?

:: The ovation for VK was so loud in '92 that the side 1 mics blew

Euphoniumism.

MYTH?

The Fat Lady did her own singing :blink:

MYTH?

She was eaten by the "traditional crocodile" :sumo:

Euphoniumism.:blink:

MYTH?

The "Sex Cymbals" were the prettiest girls in VK b**bs

MYTH?

VK Never played and danced the bottle dance :sumo:

i was at finals in 93, star got a tremendous(positive!) crowd response on a night that had some of the great shows of all time, including all of the top 3

Very true. The audiences were throwing babies for Star in '03 and you can hear it on the audio. During announcement of scores, however, it was a different story.