Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's Jon Gifford who I marched with in 2004 (his age out year) who marched Carolina Gold the past few years, and when I talked to him a few weeks ago said he was going to march Rochester Crusaders (don't know if that all worked out).

Interesting since I was surprised to hear a loud G to C range note during their on field warm ups at DCA Prelims. I wonder if that could have been the fellow to whom you are referring (small world). I rehearsed with them at one winter rehearsal and heard no screamers then.

Edited by Geneva

It's threads like this that kind of make me glad I'm done with drum corps.

I mean...are you guys serious?

If your main goal as a musician is the "play higher than everyone else", well I'm sorry but you're probably a pretty ###### musician. Case closed. I mean of course it all depends on context, if you got a guy who does cruise gigs, and jazz bands, and musicals, whatever, #### that asks for that, fine whatever I'm cool with that if you need to have a double-Bb in your little bag. But honestly, after doing I&E the past 2 years, or whenever I'm at a show warm up, and I hear these TERRIBLE trumpet just hacking, gacking and vomiting through their horns trying to prove some kind of point to show everyone how high they can play with a bad tone...I mean...is that seriously what you want? Listen, I know drum corps is all about HIGHER FAST LOUDER YEAH WOOOOH REAL DRUM COOOOOOORPS!!! but give me a ####### break.

The point of my ranting anyway is that there are plenty of kids in drum corps hornlines that like playing high, but chances are they're probably also even more concerned with sounding good and not like an appliance which kind of takes away from the ######## trumpet jock pissing contest for high notes.

In the 60's and 70's almost every corps had a screamer, now a days it is rare to hear a high note. I'm just asking for opinions as to why that is. This isn't a dig on musicianship or whatever style of music you play but just a questionable topic to discuss.

In other words, chill, if you don't like it don't respond. :worthy:

In the 60's and 70's almost every corps had a screamer, now a days it is rare to hear a high note. I'm just asking for opinions as to why that is. This isn't a dig on musicianship or whatever style of music you play but just a questionable topic to discuss.

In other words, chill, if you don't like it don't respond. :huh:

And what is it with all of these Solos on the move in drum corps?Since when has a soloist had to march while playing a solo.I think that idea is as stupid and Bb trumpets in drum corps.

And what is it with all of these Solos on the move in drum corps?Since when has a soloist had to march while playing a solo.I think that idea is as stupid and Bb trumpets in drum corps.

It's better than playing with disgusting tone quality with zero control just for the sake of "sounding loud". But hey, who gives a #### about that? DRUM COOOOOOOORPS!!!!!

When I was young, I wanted to be Maynard.

When I was old, I wanted to be Snooky.

Never got close to being either one...

Heck,,I am old and I still want to be like Maynard. :P

sadly I don't think I will ever be close to playing like him. :(

In middle school and the first two years of High School all i wanted to be able to do is scream out a high note! Lol....then I learned from a fellow clarinet turned "screamer" that it is about being able to play them with accuracy and in a musical phrase, rather than playing a single note at the end of a phrase or on top of a loud chord.

Secondly, even though I don't think Donny was pleased with me this summer....I really tried to play as a better player rather than playing high notes....its still fun, but I have a long ways to go I realize....I'm so glad that I got to have Donny as a teacher.....I know this was off topic.....but I wanted to add the props to Donny, cause I never got to say anything to him over the summer.......

• 2 weeks later...