Question for Music Education Majors

Indiana is hard to beat. Great school all around, fabulous for performance majors (not all noted music ed schools are known for that, resulting in limited exposure of music ed majors to a lot of GREAT music making IMO), and a beautiful campus. Not too small, but B'ton is a great college town.

CCM is a great performance school. They have wonderful new state of the art facilities there, but be warned that it is an urban campus near one of the not-so-great areas in Cincinnati.

Edited by hughesmr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your child doesnt want a big campus, Youngstown State University in Youngstown Oh if a pretty good music school. The Dana school of music there and the education programs are some of the top schools at the university. I used to study music ed here, but now I study theater. The marching band is pretty good, we went through some rough staff changes but everything seems to be working out, the football team is very exciting to watch, they are div 1-AA and made it all the way to the semi-final game in the ncaa playoffs, they also have a basketball band where the peformers get paid, something like 10 or 20 bucks a game. And YSU is pretty inexpensive.

http://fpa.ysu.edu/index.shtml

http://www.ysu.edu/

Edited by leadsopranoman

CCM is a great performance school. They have wonderful new state of the art facilities there, but be warned that it is an urban campus near one of the not-so-great areas in Cincinnati.

I can assure you that UC is in a safe neighborhood. Perception does not always= reality...

It really doesn't matter where he goes, as long as he takes his education into his own hands. Tell him that being a GOOD music educator is very difficult, and requires all of your outside time that you can afford to spare. Tell him to be active with OCMEA and to pursue as many opportunities to observe, help, and interact with students as possible. Tell him that there are plenty of schools out there who hand out music ed degrees like they're candy, and plenty of music educators who just aren't up to scratch as a result of it. (Pardon my pessimism on this, but I live in a part of Ohio that could use more highly qualified music teachers, and I don't mean that in the NCLB way.)

I've met and worked with hundreds of great music teachers, and as many poor ones. Find a school with great resources, and then milk it for all it's worth.

For the area, University of Indiana is great. However, if he wants to move away Central Washington is great as well :P

While CCM may be one of the top programs in the country for Music Performance, it isnt in the top ten in Ohio for Music Education. Indiana on the other hand has a tremendous record of both.

Elmo Blatch

I agree that CCM's reputation for music education is not the highest, but after investigating a few years ago, CCM was my second choice behind IU. The Mus Ed program is small there compared to everything else, but the faculty is caring and the students are motivated, plus you get to study with a great performance teacher and be in an outstanding musical environment. CCM also seems to have connections with some decent schools in the area such as the Lakotas, Mason, and Fairfield.

I have a friend who switched from the jazz studies program to music ed and is very happy with his experience so far.

My son kept me guessing. Auditioned all over creation, signed up for the University of Maryland, got a gig playing for a broadway touring company instead and skipped a year of college, came back and auditioned again, went to James Madison for a year, auditioned again in the Summer and ended up at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music. All through this he played for Santa Clara Vanguard and aged out the same year he graduated. My head is still spinning! Lesson learned = expect the unexpected.