Question for Music Education Majors

I can only offer advice on what I know:

I checked out a few schools in NC where I live (University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Western Carolina University were the standouts for music ed.) before choosing WCU for music ed.

We are up in the mountains of North Carolina, and we are a pretty small school (just over 9000 students). I believe the School of Music has about 300-400 enrolled, and the marching band is around 350 this year. The school is pretty legendary for education in this state, which is saying something since NC has some really great schools.

Our marching band has a bit of corps inspiration in our drill and music, but we do fairly high-tech shows with a lot of electronics. The director, Bob Buckner, is extremely connected in the HS marching band world and BOA (hall of famer) so you'll see us marching in exhibition at the Atlanta super regional most years and nationals every few (last was in 2002). <b>We are also marching in BOA Nationals in 2008</b>! We also have a few kids marching corps at any given time. We usually have people in Crown, a couple kids march Blue Stars, and I think we've had kids in Spirit.

Bob Buckner wrote drill for Spirit and Crown years ago, and he is a consultant for the company that makes the Pyware drill writing software. The guy runs a fantastic band and will definitely teach you how to run a marching band.

The trumpet professor at WCU is pretty great, and our trumpet studio is probably the most competitive. We are definitely worth checking out!

Marching band website: http://www.prideofthemountains.com

School of music site: http://music.wcu.edu/

Because we are such a small school, our marching band isn't as well known as some others named here, but we have been nominated and were finalists (top 3, I believe) for the Sudler Trophy the last 2 or 3 years, putting us up there among the best college bands in the country. If you want, you can see a list of schools who have won the award in the past (1 per year) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudler_Trophy#The_Sudler_Trophy

Edited by JazzmanSA80

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get a little out of the area, consider Colorado State University. They have the finest marching and music ed program in the Mountain West Conference, are in a smaller city in Fort Collins, CO, are in great proximity to the mountains, and right between the Trooper north in Wyoming and Blue Knight south in Denver.

Great proximity, hell....Fort Collins and Loveland pretty much back right into those things

Well, technically the foothills

I also know that some of the best bands in the Cincinnati area are directed by graduates of CCM.

As far as the best band in Cincinnati, Greg Snyder did not graduate from CCM, rather he expanded himself with graduate work there and at Miami.

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Shameless plug for one of my alma maters: Northwestern University. The university itself and its School of Music are consitently ranked among the top 10 in the country. You get the best of both worlds -- conservatory level training and a rigorous academic program.

My undergrad degree is from a very small, private liveral arts institution without the name recognition and national reputation of NU. However, I still received a fine education and was very happy with my college experience there. In the end, I think it boils down to where you find your niche; where you're comfortable and happy. For some, that's at an enormous state school with football games, tailgates and frat parties. For others, it may be a church-affiliated institution with a small enrollment and mandatory chapel attendance.

Education is largely what you make it. Large or small institution, public or private, national reputation or virtually unknown -- they all have something to offer and a good student will draw what he/she needs from whatever possibilities/situations are presented.

I think the biggest thing to consider when looking at a school for music is the private instruction. Spending four years with that teacher makes for the most consistent instruction you will receive at a college. My relationship with my trumpet teacher at George Mason University was extremely positive.

I chose George Mason because I wanted to study at a school that was in a big town, with lots of great schools to observe and work. During my time at GMU, I worked with multiple high school bands, student taught at a school with Sudler awards for Middle and High School that also performed at the Mid-West Clinic, and learned from some of the finest educators and musicians. Because the school was smaller, I played in every ensemble during my time there, and had a chance to perform around Washington, DC while attending school. Most of those things were not part of the program of study at my school, but I could venture out and work for different programs to "back up" what I was learning in the classroom.

I did not participate in a college marching band, as Mason doesn't have one (yet), but my drum corps experience kept me going.

I had a chance to work with schools in Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria while there...I met Wynton Marsalis, Maynard Ferguson, The Boston Brass, The Canadian Brass, Tim Morrison, and a host of others. I could drive into the city and watch the National Symphony, or head out to see any of the Service Bands (Pershing's Own, the Marine Band, the Air Force Band, and the Navy Band). I even had a chance to play with the Moscow Radio Symphony, in John Philip Sousa's church, and compete in the National Trumpet Competition, all of which are in my backyard. If my roommates and I could swing it, we'd take the five hour drive up to NYC too. I also ended up with the Crossmen because at the time, they were a nice 2 hour drive from my dorm, where I worked with some fabulous instructors as well.

Most importantly, the connections I made helped me obtain a job in Fairfax County Public Schools, where I have worked for a few years now.

Bottom line: chose a school where your child knows the bond with the private instructor will be strong and positive over the four years they will be there, and take every opportunity you have to get out there and teach / play!

I accept your challenge!

The University of Texas at Arlington:

No football team = corps style shows:

http://www.uta.edu/music/band/mbsounds.html

we've got your old director, and he's definitely helping turn the band of the hour into a respected musical ensemble. thanks for letting us have him. :P

I accept your challenge!

The University of Texas at Arlington:

No football team = corps style shows:

http://www.uta.edu/music/band/mbsounds.html

Now that's a fine sounding band! :worthy: In case you've never heard the Southerners, I will do my duty as a proud JSU student to spread the organization I am proud to call my family.

http://www.marchingsoutherners.org/media

This has every show from the Bodiford years (1995-present) as well as a few traditional things. The only thing could find on youtube was the 2006 show and a bunch of 20-J hi-jinks.

Edited by scalenesofar

West Chester University of Pennsylvannia

Great new music school. All the practice rooms have Steinway mini-Grand Pianos.

Dr. Robert Maggio is my hero. Samuel Barber also lived in West Chester. In many ways, he is the mascot of the WCU Music School.

I'm in no way partial though. :P

If you want to get a little out of the area, consider Colorado State University. They have the finest marching and music ed program in the Mountain West Conference, are in a smaller city in Fort Collins, CO, are in great proximity to the mountains, and right between the Trooper north in Wyoming and Blue Knight south in Denver.

The best in MWC? I'll put a vote out there for TCU. It's where I go, but I have a bit of objectivity being a Blue Knight alum.

http://www.band.tcu.edu/multimedia/2006%20FIREBIRD1.mov

Nationally recognized wind symphony, jazz band, orchestra, choirs, and piano program(Steinway grands in all of the classrooms).

Small class sizes(15 in my beginning theory class)

Div. 1 school with only 8,000 stduents

Small campus 5 minutes from downtown Fort Worth

over 1 Billion dollar endowment

Extremely drum corps friendly(tons of drum corps members)

Placement of graduates is near 100%.