Second Impressions...

You didn't like 2001? They were great that year!

I have yet to see the video. Strictly music, it took a little bit for me to grow to like it. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

91 BD

Hated it almost all year, then loved it at Finals and on the CD.

Cadets 2005, didn't like it live, didn't like it at finals, but listening to the recording of it a few times, I fell in love with it, and it is now one of my favorite shows.

I'll add myself to the Star 93 list.

I was on tour that year performing (in a god-awful guard uniform) to some fun jazz with Freelancers and I hated... HATED Star's 93 show. I was like Tom Hanks in "Big" with the hand up in the air going... "I don't get it!" I'll speak for just myself, but I know many people marching at the time (not just in Freelancers) thought the same as me that it was some esoteric, artsy crap.

Lo and behold, one of the best friends I made in Blue Knights in 95 actually played that show and helped explain some of it to me. And eventually Blast! came out and I got used to the whole Medea sound and show concept.

So now almost 15 years later, I'm in complete love with the show. Ranks easily in my top 5. It'll never be first on my all-time favorite list (that will always be held by 92 Cadets), but I sure do appreciate that show now.

It always boggles my mind how much of a risk that show had to be and then having to sell the concept to the kids. I would like to have been there for that speech. Regardless, that staff, IMO, were visionaries.

That is all.

Carry on.

:)

Okay, time for a less controversial topic here on the Planet.

Any shows that you've seen over the years you've hated at first blush... but have come around to after the season/later on through the years?

99 Madison Scouts...." Jesus Christ Superstar"

97 Blue Devils....." Casablanca, Night in Tunisia"

96 Magic..........12 Seconds to the Moon"

74 SCV...".Die Gotterdammerung, Young Person's Guide "

93 Cadets...." in the Spring when Kings go off to War"

90 Blue Devils...." Theme from the Opera Tommy"

78 SCV......." Overture to the New Era"

Edited by X DM

The correct answer is Star 93.

I was a punk high school senior and probably saw that show 5 times that summer. I was in LOVE with the Cadets and Phantom's shows and just didn't understand why Star was beating them. It wasn't like "by the end of the year, it had really grown on me". No, I still hated it at the end of the year. It wasn't until years later that I listened to it REALLY for the first time...and then again...and then again and started to appreciate it and recognize it for the show that it is.

Almost 15 years later, it's one of the most played shows on my ipod. 93 is by FAR my favorite top 3 shows. No year even comes close to those top 3. Like someone else said, I'm embarassed to admit I didn't like it or get it back then. I was really fortunate to see it live so many times that summer.

Three shows immediately spring to mind: SCV '99, Cadets '00 and '01. Now, those are three of the great shows of the last ten years, arguably ever, so why did I hate them? Well, I didn't become a fan until 1999; the Blue Devils were the corps that I was first introduced to and so naturally I wanted them to win that year. I watched the PBS broadcast and hated that SCV pulled off the tie. The following year my high school band director began writing for a much closer corps, and that show ended up tieing for a championship as well. The Cadets became the corps I loved to hate for a few years there, and I didn't appreciate seeing them live in 2001 as much as I should have because of it.

The Cadets 2005 show also makes this list, but that's because they really improved over the course of the season. Same with Phantom 2006; I hated the APD at first but loved the finished product. I'm sure there's more, but I'm in the office on a Saturday and can't think straight :worthy:

Star 93 definately so innovative ahead of it's time with incredible music, precision and unique colorguard movement and

technique. This was my older brothers age out year so we had to spend finals in Jackson Mississippi. It's a shame more people did

not witness finals that year sanse the crap location. As good as Cadets were on Finals night I still think they were not better than Star of Indiana that night in performance (just my opinion)I too was someone that thought how boring was that Madea show at least the three times I had witnessed it earlier in the season. By finals weekend my attitude towards the show had completely changed(putting aside preconceived notions and just enojoying the performences that night). I was in pure awe of just how well Star of Indiana was performing that show on the field that night. As happy as I was for Cadets that they pulled off the upset I was disappointed for Star that they did not get the finish I thought they deserved. Watch the DVD from 93 and you to will see how much that 93 Star show was a lot more like what Drum Corps is today then it was then. I remember yelling boring out in Dekalb after Stars performence but I was definately being the snot nosed high school punk that did not know what the heck I was talking about. Jim Mason his staff and all of the Star Alumns deserve a lot of credit for being about as clean as a drum corps can be that night. They performed there butts off that is for sure.

Edited by gopherdude2