"An Athlete of God"

If one looks at the extended quote taken from the Martha Graham essay that originally aired on NPR entitled "An Athlete of God"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5065006

It appears that the Cadets are getting a bit too much criticism. I think the Cadets' show is not at all about hubris; instead, I think it celebrates the proceess that ALL corps go through to achieve what we (the fans) have the privilege to witness at contests every night. In fact, I think all drum corps performers (just like dancers) are truely an "athlete of God". They practice, practice and practice, in order to put a performance out there for the world to enjoy, consider and judge. Sure it falls flat some times, but it is always sublime, regardless of the overall quality.

I don't care which drum corps show one talks about, all of the corps put out fantstic shows that demonstrate why each and every member is truly "An Athlete of God." And for celebrating that (albeit with Martha Graham'a slightly hyperbolic quote), I say "Thank you" to the Cadets. We celebrate all of the performances by all of the corps! I just wish that as we go into San Antonio that we could all enjoy what we have -- young adults out there giving everything they have for their corps, their art, and us, the fans.

Let's all enjoy the "Athletes of God" regardless of what uniform they happen to wear!

Edited by Tony L.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If one looks at the extended quote taken from the Martha Graham essay that originally aired on NPR entitled "An Athlete of God"

It appears that the Cadets are getting a bit too much criticism. I think the Cadets' show is not at all about humeris; instead, I think it celebrates the proceess that ALL corps go through to achieve what we (the fans) have the privilege to witness at contests every night. In fact, I think all drum corps performers (just like dancers) are truely an "athlete of God". They practice, practice and practice, in order to put a performance out there for the world to enjoy, consider and judge. Sure it falls flat some times, but it is always sublime, regardless of the overall quality.

I don't care which drum corps show one talks about, all of the corps put out fantstic shows that demonstrate why each and every member is truly "An Athlete of God." And for celebrating that (albeit with Martha Graham'a slightly hyperbolic quote), I say "Thank you" to the Cadets. We celebrate all of the performances by all of the corps! I just wish that as we go into San Antonio that we could all enjoy what we have -- young adults out there giving everything they have for their corps, their art, and us, the fans.

Let's all enjoy the "Athletes of God" regardless of what uniform they happen to wear!

But what about the members that are atheists? :worthy:

I thought they were saying "An athelete, A god" (using god as a metaphor for the athelete)

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg

An athlete of FSM?

I think it is just a drum and bugle corps show.

We are all Gods children

I am fully prepared to be flamed

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Too many people are getting the quote wrong. It's "an athlete, a God," using God as a metaphor for someone that can be, and often is, worshiped by people. And, of course, athletes are worshiped and praised here in America and around the world in a big way.

That part of their narration doesn't bother me at all. There are other aspects that bother me more.

JW

It appears that the Cadets are getting a bit too much criticism. I think the Cadets' show is not at all about hubris; instead, I think it celebrates the proceess that ALL corps go through to achieve what we (the fans) have the privilege to witness at contests every night. In fact, I think all drum corps performers (just like dancers) are truely an "athlete of God". They practice, practice and practice, in order to put a performance out there for the world to enjoy, consider and judge. Sure it falls flat some times, but it is always sublime, regardless of the overall quality.

Thank you Tony! -

The one constant through all the changes has been those young adults who give it their all every season. Rules change, music comes and goes, and a new crop of kids comes together every season. No corp is ever the same two years in a row. The legacy we pass on is a committment to quality, to excellence, work ethic, family, and something larger than the individual. I will go into San Antonio enjoying what we have - I will stand and cheer and applaud EVERY young person on the field who tries to bring their personal best to the show each and every day.