"An Athlete of God"

Too many people are getting the quote wrong. It's "an athlete, a God," using God as a metaphor for someone that can be, and often is, worshiped by people. And, of course, athletes are worshiped and praised here in America and around the world in a big way.

That part of their narration doesn't bother me at all. There are other aspects that bother me more.

JW

John, check out the link in the first post, it takes you to the original essay on NPR. The exact words of the Martha Graham quote are "One becomes, in some area, an athlete of God."

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She also says it too quickly for it to be 'an athlete, a god' she says it straight through so that 'an athlete of god' is the only thing that makes sense.

She also says it too quickly for it to be 'an athlete, a god' she says it straight through so that 'an athlete of god' is the only thing that makes sense.

Its 'an athlete of God'. I was there on the first day of spring training when they were trying to fit it in (and failing quite miserably I might add). I actually was asleep, and i woke up to the sounds of them doing that in ensemble directly into my window :P

Its one of the best moments in their program - a fantastic quote well interpreted by the visual on the field. The guards kneeling down and turning the flags into a different color. Great effect!

Drum corps do things which look quite "impossible" these days - "an athlete of god" is a fitting statement imo

Too many people are getting the quote wrong. It's "an athlete, a God," using God as a metaphor for someone that can be, and often is, worshiped by people. And, of course, athletes are worshiped and praised here in America and around the world in a big way.

That part of their narration doesn't bother me at all. There are other aspects that bother me more.

JW

No. It's "an athlete of God." The quote is from Martha Graham as they say in their show. Want to know where the quote is from? Her "This I Believe" essay which is also titled "An Athlete of God."

Edited by Darth_Vader

No. It's "an athlete of God." The quote is from Martha Graham as they say in their show. Want to know where the quote is from? Her "This I Believe" essay which is also titled "An Athlete of God."

Here's the essay (it's been around since 1953) - An Athlete of God.

Edited by sburstall

I think the "athlete of God"/"an athlete, a god" misunderstanding may have resulted from early performances. In Annapolis, it sounded like the latter. Now that more attention has gone to the delivery of lines, all of the words are heard more clearly.

Edited by Legalhack

If one looks at the extended quote taken from the Martha Graham essay that originally aired on NPR entitled "An Athlete of God"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5065006

Thanks for that info, actually. I misheard them on the field and assumed that "an athlete of God was" an original line from whoever wrote their script. Can't remember their exact words tonight...while I do remember something about Martha Graham and "an athlete of God," somehow I didn't connect the two. For me at least, it's all about context.