The Forgotten years...

Have you seen the guard uniforms? :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

It was a pretty cool show, very challenging, and IMO only lost to BD because it wasn't in-your-face the entire time. I'd like to see BD try the sitdown-spin-standup-play wave of OMG MY EYES SENSORY OVERLOAD thing.

Yes, the guard unis did make me cringe a bit. That aside, I think this show may even beat out frameworks as far as visual/musical synergy. In my opinion, the show concept is also amazingly entertaining. At first I was like, "Wtf? Washing machines?" but after a while it really grew on me. I still get chills at several points throughout the show and I'll admit I'm not even a very big Cavaliers fan.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's okay for Bluecoats to do a striptease on the center X this summer? I'm just sayin'. :)

Absolutely! That is perfectly A-OK! In fact, they should do that every year, regardless of the theme. I could never get tired of that :P

My take is that a lot of people must have aged out from '90.

Also, Garfield was on a major American compser kick at that time. I remember hearing George Hopkins say that THAT is what music they play in 1992...

In 1991, they wanted to educate the students on modern, 20th century, American composers, which happens to be a lot of minimalistic music....

I don't think it went over well with the judges or the crowds, but I do know that I thought they still rocked!

It went over well with this fan! But I'm one of those "music major snobs." :P

I absolutely adore Short Ride in a Fast Machine - minimalism with great emotional reach and soaring brass. I use it all the time when I do my minimalist segment for high school music lit blocks.

Copland was the topic of many of my papers in undergrad and grad school, including my masters thesis, so hearing a Copland tune that was rarely (or never before?) played by a drum corps was nice change of pace.

And Prelude, Fugue and Riffs just rocks.

Star 89 I thought was underrated. It had that wonderful British music.

Devils 93 - I thought one of their top brass lines ever.

Phantom 92 - I know it got dogged as one of their worst shows, but I always

disagreed. It had such great melodic developement and the horses to pull it off.

Drums were a little dirty, but no more than 5 of the 7 corps above them.

BK 99 - Fantastic version of Trittico, better than 94 even. They could have been

top 6 and maybe they should have been, but Scouts were pretty hot that night too.

Scouts 2000 it was dirty as sin visually, but WOW what an exciting and ballsy show.

one of my all time favs from them.

Devils 2005 - The voices were a little distracting, but the show was stellar.

Crossmen 2000, 2002, 2003

Phantom 1994, 2004, 2005

Cavaliers 1999, 2005

There are still many others

Edited by Carl306