Academy...now that they've made top 12 at SA...

Nobody wants to take any glory away from Arizona. In fact, many folks predicted they would make the Top 12 this year. In fact, that is looking like the case. I think that the argument we are hearing is that the group is not as clean as the two or three below it--I am only basing this off of the comments that were posted during and after AA's performance today.

I think it is important to note that prior to today, I had never seen/heard Arizona. I was very impressed. Bowled over actually. However, did I think they were as clean as Colts, Blue Stars, or Glassmen, nope. Perhaps this plays well for Arizona, but the main issues I had were the horn soloists trying to do things it seemed they were not yet capable of doing. I hope I am proven wrong by the end of the year.

Elmo Blatch

Good luck Arizona!

Actually, after seeing the show live today, I'd say that Academy was cleaner than Colts, Glassmen, Blue Stars and Spirit. I'd be more worried about them maxing out their show and getting passed. They don't have that much more room to develop their show, but they certainly earned their place tonight.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

?????

Refute? Argument?

Their show doesn't have the same demand. As the judges get more looks, they will expect more - and it just won't be there.

This race isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Just ask the Blue Devils how many regionals they've won - only to end up 3rd or 4th at Finals.

It's all been said before, DC. Same, old, tired, argument. (Unless you call your flame bait rhetoric something else?)

The discussion about Academy has ALWAYS been "They are for real" and your argument has always been, NO WAY, Not real, not a REAL tour, NOT REAL scoring, haven't faced REAL competition blah, blah blah.

Now, the scoreboard is lit up and there is nothing you can say except (look into the crystal ball) well, now they won't make FINALS in Pasadena. Geez, man. Find some other cause and make it a positive one, for all of us, but mostly for yourself.

HONK

Nice points, Sam! (Lovefest continues)

Great job all corps tonight. One of the best top to bottom finals shows I can remember. #### SCV's placement. Thought they'd move up another spot. What's up with the V-guard?

I love what that corps has accomplished and the way they have done it as well (from a management perspective). They may very well make finals, but I doubt they will get higher than 10th and more than likely will be looking at 11th or 12th (assuming they hold on for Finals). Honestly, I don't think there is enough demand in the show to make finals, but that doesn't mean they won't. Even if they just came in 13th or 14th, that is a hell of an accomplishment for them anyway. I doubt management is hung up on placements and scores and so neither should anybody here.

I 100%, completely, totally, without question, woud tend to agree with your statement, sir!!!

Nicely put!

I hope you come back and honk when they end up 14th in Pasadena - which is where that nice band show is going to put them.

They have a nice, clean (at times) show, but it's about to hit its limit very soon. This race isn't a sprint, its a marathon.

Take it personally, why don't ya... :huh: Academy will be in Finals, I guarantee it.

I didn't intend to be defensive, I was just questioning the basis for your challenge to BK. If they are a threat to BK, some evidence of it should be in the recap. They are challenging BK in visual performance and GE vis rep. Nothing else, really, that I can see.

I gotta say, I really hope Academy does beat Blue Knights. No offense, I just don't care for BK's show at all.

I really wish there was a way to filter out the few people that just want to bash anyone's corp other than their own. As a parent; we see our children working hard. It is extremely unpleasant to see these comments.

Well, life is rough. Sorry, but that's how it is on DCP. There's always the "ignore" feature, however. Try it, (I did.) you'll like it.

This race isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Just ask the Blue Devils how many regionals they've won - only to end up 3rd or 4th at Finals.
If only they could break through and win a title some day.

I kind of think this thread goes against what the Academy concept is...to go out and not worry about anyone else except yourself.

Starting threads that begin "NYAH! NYAH!" is a sure fire way to start a flame war.

Anyway, Academy r0x0rs. Might as well let it play out and see what happens. :)

I kind of think this thread goes against what the Academy concept is...to go out and not worry about anyone else except yourself.

Starting threads that begin "NYAH! NYAH!" is a sure fire way to start a flame war.

Anyway, Academy r0x0rs. Might as well let it play out and see what happens. :)

can't have it both ways man - either we allow inflammatory threads or we don't

Re: Academy - they are VERY good - you can certainly tell who is commenting on the corps without seeing them live. Performance level is amazing with some obvious areas to improve on over the next couple weeks.

Finalist status is a certainty.

& if I were the corps parked in 12th I would be watching my back: Blue Stars are coming to get you. IMHO

(take note of what i'm about to say, it probably won't happen again, lol.)

i agree with george. there is a clear separation in the comments of people who have seen academy LIVE and people who have watched them on their laptops.

while it is nice to have these numbers to finally be able to say "see? i told you so", alums of academy (myself, chris, a few others who are anonymous on the boards) know that nothing taught in that corps focuses on placement. our first scored show ever we weren't even allowed to be in the stands for the scores. every summer as i follow academy's journey i am so proud of them, of my family that is out there, doing what medically and financially i couldn't continue. i've known for 6 years (since i first saw them when performing at the same show as them with jestercorps) what a special group academy was.

academy will go places, further than they already have, and they will do it with class, humility, dignity, and respect for their peers.

my biggest wish is that everyone respects them also. spend the day with them, get to know the members and the staff. it is truly an amazing group that i am so thankful to have been a part of. i "honk" for them not because of my blind faith, but because of what i know them (first hand) to be.

honk honk, and stroke the kitty. AAPA!

Edited by BariEuph

From the teeny tiny picture on my monitor and choppy feed, my impression of Academy's horn book was that it was retro in a good way. The tunes were not chopped up (not play the hook then march then play then march. . . .), there were plenty of notes for the leads and melodic resonsibilities were relatively brass-centric (see earlier parenthetical).

I had been thinking something like this, the feeling of being entertained in a way that drum corps rarely do these days, but had not put the whole picture together. I agree completely.