Is the "Top 12" a self-fulfilling prophecy?

yuk ! Its a competition. The top 12 earned the right that every corps had the opportunity to achieve, to perform on fians night and become a finalist. No more PC, up with people jargin, this is a competition, not grade school....

~G~

I don't think you understand -- I'm not amending the competition. But I challenge you on Finals to count up all of the "dead air" that could be filled by non-competing, non-finalist corps. In other words, this has nothing to do with "up with people PC" anything. This is about using corps that *aren't* competing to make a more full, entertaining night.

Look, maybe my rough ideas sucked about qf and sf. I'm not sold either, frankly. But on Saturday, there are performance opportunities all over -- maybe it's on TV at the noon hour to help walk-up sales. Maybe it's in the lot. Maybe it's at a radio station. Maybe it's at the ticket line. Maybe it's anywhere inbetween shows, and at any point the finalists aren't playing.

Just put me down for thinking it sucks to have 10+ D1 corps out of uniform on Saturday when they could be making things better. I still think it's cool, and part of the experience to watch finals from the 5 yard line and all, but before the show, they should be doing something cool. Period.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about 1979?

I'm not suggesting that on Saturday night the top 12 have additional competitors. I just happen to think it's a waste to not have perfectly good drum corps playing for fans on Saturday. You wouldn't find it cool to have a corps like Pioneer play at the souvie booth, or do something in uniform on Saturday? We have 10 perfectly good D1 corps that will be sitting on their ##### on Saturday, and that's a shame.

why don't we not give out any scores and everyone gets a gold medal. We will make it like T-ball and everyone gets a trophy for participating.

I think you get into a sort of chicken and egg type argument here. Does DCI promote their top corps some much because they are popular, or are the corps popular because DCI promotes them?

WNBA honk believes that their league could be as popular as the NBA if it received the same amount of promotion.

My opinion is that the market prevails in most cases. If DCI had reason to believe they could squeeze more money out of the non-elite corps, they would be trying to.

Maybe we should have all the top scoring teams in the NFL play in the super bowl.

Just joking... :)

But I think it's the motivation factor in it. Everyone wants to be the top 12, but it takes a lot of work to get there...not to mention making the DVD at the end of the season.... :worthy:

It seems like the original poster's "real" idea got lost in the explanation but cleared in the subsequent posts. I think what (s)he is saying that if you take a normal top 12 show and do nothing to change the presentation and competition factor of top 12 and cram in the dead air spots exhibitions of the other corps (top 13-20) or put them out in the parking lot, that this would as a whole provide more entertainment for the paying customers. Judging on the merits of this, yeah it provides more value and if it could be done tastefully I would be happy to see 13th and 14th corps. Maybe during tabulation and retreat preparations an exhibition by #13 and then off the field to make way for the retreat.

It seems like the original poster's "real" idea got lost in the explanation but cleared in the subsequent posts. I think what (s)he is saying that if you take a normal top 12 show and do nothing to change the presentation and competition factor of top 12 and cram in the dead air spots exhibitions of the other corps (top 13-20) or put them out in the parking lot, that this would as a whole provide more entertainment for the paying customers. Judging on the merits of this, yeah it provides more value and if it could be done tastefully I would be happy to see 13th and 14th corps. Maybe during tabulation and retreat preparations an exhibition by #13 and then off the field to make way for the retreat.

Thanks... you summarized my ramblings well.

Hm...... My corps made finals my rookie year. Second and third year..... nope. And the thing was, after semifinals, I NEVER wanted to play those shows ever again. I didn't even want to do the "ageout run through" that BK does every year. I just wanted to chill out.

In 2002, I spent finals at Stadium Bar (I was 21, 2003 was my bonus year). :P

I don't think you understand -- I'm not amending the competition. But I challenge you on Finals to count up all of the "dead air" that could be filled by non-competing, non-finalist corps. In other words, this has nothing to do with "up with people PC" anything. This is about using corps that *aren't* competing to make a more full, entertaining night.

Look, maybe my rough ideas sucked about qf and sf. I'm not sold either, frankly. But on Saturday, there are performance opportunities all over -- maybe it's on TV at the noon hour to help walk-up sales. Maybe it's in the lot. Maybe it's at a radio station. Maybe it's at the ticket line. Maybe it's anywhere inbetween shows, and at any point the finalists aren't playing.

Just put me down for thinking it sucks to have 10+ D1 corps out of uniform on Saturday when they could be making things better. I still think it's cool, and part of the experience to watch finals from the 5 yard line and all, but before the show, they should be doing something cool. Period.

Not for nothing but no. Saturday, after the dust settles, the top 12 are the featured corps. They went the distance, battled the opponents and came out the elite 12, the day belongs to them. Dead air ?? No, electricity is in finals air, its an awesome experience, one of a kind experience. Sure its fun to see the div II champ, Div III champ, but all the pomp, pageantry and buildup is to showcase the achievements of the top 12.

I dont get the concept of "ten corps out of uniform" ?? They SHOULD be, they are done, eliminated, finished, retired for the year. Time to sit back and let the top 12 compete. It doesnt get any better than the final 12 in competition for the year.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

OK, here's a question: why have Quarterfinals at all? If the concept is "elimination tournament," why not have one huge prelims and then finals? This is how it used to be. Why the change? More $? Opportunity for five additional corps to feel accomplishment of "making it one more night?"