Pittsburg, KS Review

then dont bother writing the review
Sorry man, but I'm a drummer and I go to DCI shows not only to see great performance on the field, but also in the lot by the drumlines. I realize that means I many times have to miss the first 2 or 3 performances, but its worth it to me to be able to see lines like the Blue Devils, Cavies, Bluecoats, etc. up close and personal.

Again, sorry for writing a partial review, but I see people do it on here all the time, for the same reasons I have given.

Man, you shouldn't have to apologize because somebody gets on here and throws a hissy-fit because you didn't include all corps...SO WHAT? Watch only ONE corps if you want, I don't care, and neither should anyone else. It's your money, you paid for the ticket, use it however you see fit, AND write a review on it...or not, if that is your choice. Some people have no gratitude. You didn't have to take the time to write what you did, but you decided to anyway...Thank you for that.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardman has it. Totally - there is no need to apologize. Please don't let the whiners keep you from writing reviews - it's a pleasure to read them, especially for someone as far away physically as I am to the actual shows. Much appreciated!

Make no mistake, Bluecoats are very enjoyable to me, but their use of voice (with the exception of the silent drill portion) has the same general effect on my enjoyment of their show as The Cadets. At San Antonio, they tried talking while the corps was playing, which made me unable to fully hear one or the other. And to me, their show sounds very disjointed in its musical development. It's good, but not great to me.

I'm sorry but if you are catagorizing the BC show w/ it's "narration" the same as the cadets then we are obviously watching different shows B) . I have spoken with many, many, many people who have seent eh Cadets show and have commented on how distracting the vocals are. I've seen them a couple of times and the general comment from the crowd around me has been "shut up and play already." Granted, not everyone is going to appreciate the narration (if you call it that) in the BC's show but pretty well across the board, the comments have been positive about it's use in their show. I find that it actually enhances their show and not detracts from it. But, then everyone is entiteld to their opinion :) .

Steve

I'm sorry but if you are catagorizing the BC show w/ it's "narration" the same as the cadets then we are obviously watching different shows B) . I have spoken with many, many, many people who have seent eh Cadets show and have commented on how distracting the vocals are. I've seen them a couple of times and the general comment from the crowd around me has been "shut up and play already." Granted, not everyone is going to appreciate the narration (if you call it that) in the BC's show but pretty well across the board, the comments have been positive about it's use in their show. I find that it actually enhances their show and not detracts from it. But, then everyone is entiteld to their opinion :) .

Steve

I smell a honk.

I smell a honk.

Well that is a possibility given that my son is in BC's front ensemble :) . But, the comments I made are true, based on comments by a lot of "non-honks" b**bs

BTW - both my daughters auditioned for Xmen. The oldest would be marching if she wasn't only 15 :P

Steve

This thread is pretty funny. One guy made some stupid comments, and every single person felt compelled to call him out on it in exactly the same way....

Ohh DCP..... :)

I understand people have the right to see as much or little of a show as they want. I also understand alums wanting to watch their corps and that people sometimes can't get from work to the show etc.

But you have to admit it can be frustrating when the stands aren't full for your corps, or people don't seem to appreciate the hard work and effort your corps has put in. It often seems that certain corps get little respect or appreciation both at shows and on the forums.

And PLEASE don't come crawling over me at the last minute. Make your entrance in a timely manner as soon as the last corps is finished. :)

Edited by shawn craig

Steve

Nope, we're not watching different shows. Remember, I wrote that it has the same "general" effect on me. Specifically, The Cadets have far more narration and it bugs me in a lot more places. However, Bluecoats also have moments of trying to speak with the corps is playing, which I think is a big no-no. It does one of two things to the general audience member (myself): 1) I try to divide my attention between the speaker and the musicians so that I can understand what both are saying/playing and end up hearing neither, or 2) I focus on one to the detriment of the other.

Thankfully, they try to do this far fewer times that The Cadets so it not nearly as distracting to me, but they do it some nevertheless, thus leading to my "general" dislike of their use of it...

Nope, we're not watching different shows. Remember, I wrote that it has the same "general" effect on me. Specifically, The Cadets have far more narration and it bugs me in a lot more places. However, Bluecoats also have moments of trying to speak with the corps is playing, which I think is a big no-no. It does one of two things to the general audience member (myself): 1) I try to divide my attention between the speaker and the musicians so that I can understand what both are saying/playing and end up hearing neither, or 2) I focus on one to the detriment of the other.

Thankfully, they try to do this far fewer times that The Cadets so it not nearly as distracting to me, but they do it some nevertheless, thus leading to my "general" dislike of their use of it...

Bluecoats have two moments where they speak over music. During the first moment, the only thing going on is beatbox and some very minor drum parts. The second moment is during the "alarm" with random brake drums. Is that where you're distracted and you can't follow the show?

I wish only one section of the hornline would play at a time. Then I could hear all the parts clearly.

I understand people have the right to see as much or little of a show as they want. I also understand alums wanting to watch their corps and that people sometimes can't get from work to the show etc.

But you have to admit it can be frustrating when the stands aren't full for your corps, or people don't seem to appreciate the hard work and effort your corps has put in. It often seems that certain corps get little respect or appreciation both at shows and on the forums.

And PLEASE don't come crawling over me at the last minute. Make your entrance in a timely manner as soon as the last corps is finished. :)

THANK YOU!! Most Definitely True.