*Cough* *Cough*

They segregated the poor guy? Bummer. And probably unnecessary--you typically spread the love, so to speak, before your body has a nasty outward reaction to a viral infection. (Drove me crazy that our daycare would send kids home, no matter what, with a flu-induced fever--even a very mild one-- "to prevent spreading." Too late. They did their spreading about a week prior...)

Absolutely, he and I sat across the aisle from each other that summer and shared drinks etc as is usually the case when marching and I never got mono.

The guard felt sorry for him because he wasn't even allowed to rehearse to save his strength so someone in the guard went and bought him a kids toy plastic recorder/ flute type thing and a little plastic guitar and he would play the show for us (guard) to practice to during sectionals. It was so cute. He'd sit just a little ways away from us and play his heart out. I spoke to him in the winter about it and he still has the toys.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer of 1988....

Between everydays and the start of first tour, I go home for Father's day. Nice lunch, me, my brothers and sister, mom and dad... good times.

Start tour the next day, and talk to mom from the first show site (second night of tour). She tells me that my brother came down with Chicken Pox (which I, like him, had never had as a child).

Fast forward a couple of weeks... the corps pulls into Meredith College outside of Cary, NC. We get DORM ROOMS to sleep in (w00t!) I wake up the next day for practice feeling like I had been run over by a paver. In the shower, I notice one, just one, little red bump on my chest. Mention it to the drum major, and one of the support staff takes me to the campus infirmary. Yep... I gots chicken pox. Sooooo... the corps sends me up to some Flowers in the Attic type room on the top floor of the dorm (to keep me away from the corps) and I promptly pass out. Hours later I wake up with that weird "Wha?" feeling that you get when you wake up and the light is just not right for the time you think it is.... sunset through the windows. I walk downstairs and notice that ALL of the dorm rooms are empty. No horns... no beeping slags.... no nothing. Now I start to panic... run outside.... no buses, no semi, NO CORPS!

I start to REALLY freak now... call the corps hall... start yelling on the pay phone THEY LEFT ME BEHIND! I QUIT! YOU NEED TO FLY MY ### HOME!!!! (It was the pox talking)

Soooo... a couple of girls walk by, ask if I am in the corps that was practicing at the school... offer to give me a ride to the show site. So I go back in, get my suitcase, sleeping bag, etc. and get a ride to the show. Now I have to prove to the folks at the gate that I am in fact a member of one of the competing corps....

Walk into the show with my suitcase, bag, everything... finally find the DM... and I RAILED INTO HIM. Here he is, big as day in full Uniform and I am yelling at him beside, then behind the stands at the show. Good times.

Then, as I still couldn't be around the corps, I got to ride in the Souvie van (no ac, foam mattresses on wooden planks, very loud) for the 10 hour drive to somewhere in VA that night. Ever had chicken pox at the age of 18, in a hot van, travelling with no ac for 10 hours? It was not fun.

Anyway, for the rest of tour members of the corps contracted the pox from time to time. The worst was when a guy and both of his twin sisters (sop, mello solosit, and guard) got the pox just before we went to Canada. They could not go with since they had an infectious disease, and I felt horrible about it. They ended up spending several days with a corps parent who was traveling with us in an RV. By the end of the summer, just about everyone who had never had the pox got it... and 2 guys were down for finals week. One of them marched the big show, one sat out.

And a new term, "poxer" was born in Suncoast (kinda replaced tickbox)

Summer of 1988....

Between everydays and the start of first tour, I go home for Father's day. Nice lunch, me, my brothers and sister, mom and dad... good times.

Start tour the next day, and talk to mom from the first show site (second night of tour). She tells me that my brother came down with Chicken Pox (which I, like him, had never had as a child).

Fast forward a couple of weeks... the corps pulls into Meredith College outside of Cary, NC. We get DORM ROOMS to sleep in (w00t!) I wake up the next day for practice feeling like I had been run over by a paver. In the shower, I notice one, just one, little red bump on my chest. Mention it to the drum major, and one of the support staff takes me to the campus infirmary. Yep... I gots chicken pox. Sooooo... the corps sends me up to some Flowers in the Attic type room on the top floor of the dorm (to keep me away from the corps) and I promptly pass out. Hours later I wake up with that weird "Wha?" feeling that you get when you wake up and the light is just not right for the time you think it is.... sunset through the windows. I walk downstairs and notice that ALL of the dorm rooms are empty. No horns... no beeping slags.... no nothing. Now I start to panic... run outside.... no buses, no semi, NO CORPS!

I start to REALLY freak now... call the corps hall... start yelling on the pay phone THEY LEFT ME BEHIND! I QUIT! YOU NEED TO FLY MY ### HOME!!!! (It was the pox talking)

Soooo... a couple of girls walk by, ask if I am in the corps that was practicing at the school... offer to give me a ride to the show site. So I go back in, get my suitcase, sleeping bag, etc. and get a ride to the show. Now I have to prove to the folks at the gate that I am in fact a member of one of the competing corps....

Walk into the show with my suitcase, bag, everything... finally find the DM... and I RAILED INTO HIM. Here he is, big as day in full Uniform and I am yelling at him beside, then behind the stands at the show. Good times.

Then, as I still couldn't be around the corps, I got to ride in the Souvie van (no ac, foam mattresses on wooden planks, very loud) for the 10 hour drive to somewhere in VA that night. Ever had chicken pox at the age of 18, in a hot van, travelling with no ac for 10 hours? It was not fun.

Anyway, for the rest of tour members of the corps contracted the pox from time to time. The worst was when a guy and both of his twin sisters (sop, mello solosit, and guard) got the pox just before we went to Canada. They could not go with since they had an infectious disease, and I felt horrible about it. They ended up spending several days with a corps parent who was traveling with us in an RV. By the end of the summer, just about everyone who had never had the pox got it... and 2 guys were down for finals week. One of them marched the big show, one sat out.

And a new term, "poxer" was born in Suncoast (kinda replaced tickbox)

Again, too bad they separated you like that (and drove off!) because it didn't really help. It has around a 2 week incubation period (many common viruses do)--by the time you show symptoms, you've already done all the spreading. The puss pockets [never thought I'd that on the forum!] are evidence that your body is finally turning back the viral horde. By the time you were laid up in the room of no return, you weren't very likely to spread it any more. (You, or others, had already done that...)

Edited by year1buick

We had a bit of a scare in 92--one of our snares came down with what was described as "non-specific" hepatitis. Which, translated, means they had no idea what virus caused it. Just that the person had a fever, swollen liver and all the fun that can involve. (I'll spare the bathroom details...) We went into lock-down mode: new cups for every trip to the drink spigots, wash your hands 28.5 times a day, and so on... Very grim for a few days but things relaxed a bit when no one else seemed to develop symptoms.

2002, Phantom Regiment, Quarterfinals(I think). We had to be at the stadium early that night so the corps ended up having dinner @ the stadium, the food truck wasn't brought to the show so they put everything in coolers and such. Well, one of the items on the menu that night was chicken salad, and apparently it went bad. Lots of hornline and drumline kids sick the next day, all day. I'm soooo glad the pit decided to do a speed load of the truck and went out for pizza after the show while we waited for the ageout ceremony to end. The next day, members were seen running to and from the bathrooms in the gym to the field and back, there was actually a video on the Vic firth website of a PR member playing their I&E piece, and you could see some of the members running in the foreground. We also ended up in a tie with Boston that year at Finals out of nowhere. Oddly enough, Boston had a bunch of kids in the hospital the following year in spring training I believe that got sick.

So I'd say that at least a quarter of our corps was sick on any given day last season. I was sick for most of the season a cold from hell. There were nights I was coughing so much from phlegm in my throat that I didn't think I would ever sleep. Our caption head was not happy that someone was always coughing in warmup, or someone was always bagging out of rehearsal.

I read on this forum somewhere that 2 kids from Crown got bronchitis and were separated from the entire corps for a couple of weeks. So my question to you guys is.... has any corps had most of their members sick of something? Any stories of yourself getting sick on tour and how you managed? :D

Yup, that was my story ... terrible couple of days.

There was that bronchitis scare in 06 spring training, and further into the season many members of the guard started to get the gastro-intestinal bug. It was bad. It knocked out people for days, some had to go to the hospital it was so bad. I got it towards the end of the season, after I was made an alternate after hurting my foot. We were at Nightbeat, and the corps was rehearsing on the field and there was no housing site, so I slept in the handicapped bathroom. I couldnt move it hurt so much. I dont think I got the full stint of the bug cause I was okay to do encore with the corps that night, but it was terrible. I remember getting my marchng band music and just staring at that for hours, trying to take my mind off the pain. Some people got it real bad ...you know, the people who would NEVER sit out rehearsal EVER. Yeah, they got it and the staff made them go inside and drink gatorade, problem was that you couldnt keep a #### thing down. I seem to remember having around 10 holes at one show from that bug alone.

Again, too bad they separated you like that (and drove off!) because it didn't really help. It has around a 2 week incubation period (many common viruses do)--by the time you show symptoms, you've already done all the spreading. The puss pockets [never thought I'd that on the forum!] are evidence that your body is finally turning back the viral horde. By the time you were laid up in the room of no return, you weren't very likely to spread it any more. (You, or others, had already done that...)

Yeah, I know. However, people freaked, and that's what happened. The best was that one of the poxer's boyfriends accosted me on the bus (while we were in Canada) accusing me of "diseasing" the corps. He was just ###### b/c his girl was out for a few days... most everyone busted his chops the rest of the summer ('cause yeah, I WANTED to have the Pox... what can you say, he was a sop player)

Raise your hand if you had to get a measles vaccination shot at Whitewater in '83!

Edited by skajerk