IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by euponitone

So / first off - it's still up in the air as to who will be crowned DCI's 2007 World Champion... but at this stage Cadets certainly look like a strong contender.

I decided to head to Pasadena to take in finals.

Frankly this year is "one of those years" it's *tough* being a Cadet fan. Tough to sit in the stands wanting to watch a corps you are a big fan of and having to listen to rude comments & (what I believe are) closed-minded attitudes

Cadets are my "favorite corps" over the years - always tend to put out the show which I enjoy the most.

This year they have my - probably - fourth favorite show. Behind a few others like SCV, Crown, Crossmen - etc... I prefer this year.

Anyway - other years they've won (and some they haven't) they've had my absolute favorite show - years like 89 (Les Miz) 96 (American West) 98 (Stonehenge) and back further (84,85,86,87,90, 91) - all years they were the show I couldn't get enough of.

This year I really admire the talent and determination of the corps - the difficulty of the program and the excellence of the corps. The show is not my favorite this year but I also don't "hate it" as some other do. There are moments I love / and some things about it which make me think "ehh"

But frankly I am more than a little worried - if Cadets roll into Pasadena and dominate like I think they might (probably 60/40 odds IMO - they are VERY good and still dirty) how the crowd might react

I would HATE it if these kids work so hard all summer and get booed as they are crowned Champions.

I remember Star being booed when they won shows.

It sucked big time / took a positive, tremendous youth activity and destroyed what should have been a great moment

Folks will say "oh - we are boing the judges or the scores - not the kids" blah blah.

I am worried. :(

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

Will folks boo this guy??? - who obviously believes in "This I believe"

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5...c7-cab4f55159d0

I think what would happen, in the event of a Cadets victory, is twofold:

First, the crowd would cheer LOUDLY, VERY LOUDLY for the second place corps. Thus showing who their preference would really be.

Second, there would be tepid, polite applause for the Cadets, as there has been at every show I have attended this year (9 of them), except from the Cadets die-hards, of course.

This would be a refutation of the approach the Cadets have chosen this year, nothing more. And no reflection on what they feel about the effort of the members. It is just what I intend to do in Pasadena, if this unfortunate result occurs, by the way.

AJMHO

Thanks for the biased and inflammatory post, he (she?) who recently moved into the forum's newest condo.

(for the record, ive only been active during the season :) )

I don't understand why my post is biased or inflammatory. I'm not a Cadets fan, I'm a drum corps fan. I know showing some class and realizing how ridiculous booing a bunch of kids is is hard for people to do when following the activity is the primary focus of their lives. Regardless, I have my opinion and you have your's. Best of luck.

Never have been at DCI Finals but have seen Cadets 2005/2006 at exhibition shows with mixed Junior/All Age/Alumni fans. The "Door" and "Drum Speak" shows were not what a lot of people liked but the corps was greeted with applause to show respect for their effort. Also the crowd stood as the Cadets trooped the stands. Any comments of "This isn't Drum Corps" and the like was said quietly in private conversations so people who enjoyed the show would not be disturbed.

Only saying this because it would be ironic if Cadets were treated with less respect by people who took the $$$$ and effort to go to DCI Finals. :blink:

I actually predict more boos if Crown finishes in 6th place than I do if the Cadets win.

Crown's placement will get boos unless they win the Championship... which would probably get like the biggest pop ever if they do.

I think what would happen, in the event of a Cadets victory, is twofold:

First, the crowd would cheer LOUDLY, VERY LOUDLY for the second place corps. Thus showing who their preference would really be.

Second, there would be tepid, polite applause for the Cadets, as there has been at every show I have attended this year (9 of them), except from the Cadets die-hards, of course.

This would be a refutation of the approach the Cadets have chosen this year, nothing more. And no reflection on what they feel about the effort of the members. It is just what I intend to do in Pasadena, if this unfortunate result occurs, by the way.

AJMHO

I think this view is a little simplistic.

First of all - everyone cheers extremely loudly for the 2nd place corps. As anyone who has ever been to a band / corps show knows, the suspense is in knowing who got second, not first. The fans of the 2nd place corps (whoever they are) will go nuts for their corps, while the fans of the first place corps go even more nuts, knowing that they won. Thats just how it is...

Second, I find it amusing that most people are saying the cadets are receiving great appluase, yet they received tepid reactions at all the shows you are at. I'd hate to accuse you of lying, but sometimes, we see what we want to see. Judging by all the different accounts and reactions to the cadets show this year, you'd think dci shows were more frequent in number than MLB games.... :P

Crown's placement will get boos unless they win the Championship... which would probably get like the biggest pop ever if they do.

Sooo true :P ....It was like that for xmen too back in the early 2000's.

A true fan of the activity will applaude whoever the winner will be. Like you said, it certainly looks like the Cadets are strong contenders. Color-guard woos are all taken care of and they are looking pretty scary coming into Pasadena. Everyone has griped about the narration this whole season. A friend of mine called me [last night] as the Cadets were about to perform out in Oregon. I LISTENed to the show [no visuals mind you] with music and narration from start to finish. It makes sense people and the Cadets are getting tons of crowd response from their show. I have said it since week three, the Cadets will win their 10th World championships and they will have their GUARD to thank. Congratulations Cadet guard for stepping up!!! I can't say enough about the staff: Jonathan, Amy, Matt, April -- CLASS ACT!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

The Cadets have gotten tremendous response in all the shows in the NW. Last night here in Portland was absolutely the best night of drum corps probably ever here. The Cadets are reaching their typical end-of-season level of execution...and the crowd last night felt it immediatley. The difference between the execution by the Cadets and SCV was very discernable...I would have put 5 pts between them. You could almost feel the crowd sense a difference in what they were watching. If you haven't seen the show since San Antonio it is different now. Less narrative in the middle and closer...drill for closer is different too. Guard is catching up with the hornline and drumline. Is the narrative still too much....probably...even as a parent I am a minimalist with narration but I need to support the home team. The kids are tough and will roll with whatever the crowd reaction is. The will probably get a feel for it tomorrow night at Stanford. I don't know who will win next week...but we are all going to be in for a great week of competition as this shakes out.