IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

If they did win, I would not boo. But they will not win so we will not have to worry about fan reaction, just to George's reaction about how another year will go by and his corps has been treated unfairly. How about the shows haven't been good enough to win and/or they haven't been performed as well as others? Is Hoppy ever to blame?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they did win, I would not boo. But they will not win so we will not have to worry about fan reaction, just to George's reaction about how another year will go by and his corps has been treated unfairly. How about the shows haven't been good enough to win and/or they haven't been performed as well as others? Is Hoppy ever to blame?

Coaches complain about refs, Directors complain about judges, its as simple as that. We can debate the merits of george posting these things in his blog, but the fact is that hop has always been very open about his feelings, for better or worse. Every director except for the one that wins will have some complaint. Also, if you have ever met the man, read his thoughts, or even just listenned to the commentary on the 06 dvd, you will see him take plenty of responsibility for things that dont go so well :huh2:

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

With their hearts and minds, hopefully. If they like it, they'll express it. If they don't, they'll express that too.

Although never a member, but many years a fan, I've noticed how many stress that drum corps teaches kids not only about music and teamwork, but also many lessons in life that they'll use during their own.

I wanted to thoroughly relish in the Cadets' rep. in Murfreesboro. The selections were well executed and exquisitely performed by the corps. But it was often difficult to even hear the performance for all of the narration. It's not a matter of what they're saying, it's simply a matter of distraction. Often times they would talk right through the pieces. Why spend so much time working on the show if you're just gonna talk through it?

If the Cadets get booed, it's another of life's lessons learned, hopefully. The audience paid money for tickets to a drum corps show to be entertained. If many choose to boo, or "sit on their hands", it's their right. Period.

Edited by Antoni30

With their hearts and minds, hopefully. If they like it, they'll express it. If they don't, they'll express that too.

Although never a member, but many years a fan, I've noticed how many stress that drum corps teaches kids not only about music and teamwork, but also many lessons in life that they'll use during their own.

I wanted to throughly relish in the Cadets' rep. in Murfreesboro. The selections were well executed and exquisitely performed by the corps. But it was often difficult to even hear the performance for all of the narration. It's not a matter of what they're saying, it's simply a matter of distraction. Often times they would talk right through the pieces. Why spend so much time working on the show if you're just gonna talk through it?

If the Cadets get booed, it's another of life's lessons learned, hopefully. The audience paid money for tickets to a drum corps show to be entertained. If many choose to boo, or "sit on their hands", it's their right. Period.

Well said.

I think it's because the activity falls into a very... awkward niche. On the one hand we're athletes and anyone that's ever been to a sporting event knows that booing is not only part of the experience, it's encouraged. Bad play calls, bad ref'ing, bad execution (fumbling on the goal line anyone?), among others. Then on the other hand we have the music side where, as we also know, you never boo. You never go to a symphony and boo when the soloist misses a note or when you don't appreciate the musical selection. It just doesn't work that way.

So we're kind of in a case of... can we have our cake and eat it, too? Hard to say.

I like Cake.....

but seriously...excellent posts you two. Keep it up, while i go eat some lobster (and maybe cake) :)

Well said.

I think it's because the activity falls into a very... awkward niche. On the one hand we're athletes and anyone that's ever been to a sporting event knows that booing is not only part of the experience, it's encouraged. Bad play calls, bad ref'ing, bad execution (fumbling on the goal line anyone?), among others. Then on the other hand we have the music side where, as we also know, you never boo. You never go to a symphony and boo when the soloist misses a note or when you don't appreciate the musical selection. It just doesn't work that way.

So we're kind of in a case of... can we have our cake and eat it, too? Hard to say.

Thanks! :)

As far as booing at music events go, that's true. I would never boo during a symphony performance, or drum corps for that matter. Although, on an ep. of 60 min. they did a segment on Pavarotti and showed where he was booed because of cracked notes. It was at an operahouse in Italy, so I guess that's an extreme case. They're HARDCORE over there. :)

I like Cake.....

but seriously...excellent posts you two. Keep it up, while i go eat some lobster (and maybe cake) :)

weekendcake.gif

I like Cake, too.

Anyway, back on topic. If the Cadets do, indeed, win, I don't think the reaction will too harsh. I think most fans realize that it's in very bad taste to do things like that.

You obviously don't know GH as well as you think you do. In 1999, he took PLENTY of blame, in fact too much in my opinion, for the show not going so well. I would expect him to complain if they weren't treated fairly, but he is also mature enough to take blame when he know he was the cause of it.

So / first off - it's still up in the air as to who will be crowned DCI's 2007 World Champion... but at this stage Cadets certainly look like a strong contender.

I decided to head to Pasadena to take in finals.

Frankly this year is "one of those years" it's *tough* being a Cadet fan. Tough to sit in the stands wanting to watch a corps you are a big fan of and having to listen to rude comments & (what I believe are) closed-minded attitudes

Cadets are my "favorite corps" over the years - always tend to put out the show which I enjoy the most.

This year they have my - probably - fourth favorite show. Behind a few others like SCV, Crown, Crossmen - etc... I prefer this year.

Anyway - other years they've won (and some they haven't) they've had my absolute favorite show - years like 89 (Les Miz) 96 (American West) 98 (Stonehenge) and back further (84,85,86,87,90, 91) - all years they were the show I couldn't get enough of.

This year I really admire the talent and determination of the corps - the difficulty of the program and the excellence of the corps. The show is not my favorite this year but I also don't "hate it" as some other do. There are moments I love / and some things about it which make me think "ehh"

But frankly I am more than a little worried - if Cadets roll into Pasadena and dominate like I think they might (probably 60/40 odds IMO - they are VERY good and still dirty) how the crowd might react

I would HATE it if these kids work so hard all summer and get booed as they are crowned Champions.

I remember Star being booed when they won shows.

It sucked big time / took a positive, tremendous youth activity and destroyed what should have been a great moment

Folks will say "oh - we are boing the judges or the scores - not the kids" blah blah.

I am worried. :(

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

Will folks boo this guy??? - who obviously believes in "This I believe"

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5...c7-cab4f55159d0

I think boo to any person that boos anyone of those kids from any corp. These kids have dedicated themselves this summer. I think it is going to be an unbelievable ride the next week. I think things will be closer than you think too. I can't wait for the 11th!

I think boo to any person that boos anyone of those kids from any corp. These kids have dedicated themselves this summer. I think it is going to be an unbelievable ride the next week. I think things will be closer than you think too. I can't wait for the 11th!

AGREED!!!!