IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

So / first off - it's still up in the air as to who will be crowned DCI's 2007 World Champion... but at this stage Cadets certainly look like a strong contender.

I decided to head to Pasadena to take in finals.

Frankly this year is "one of those years" it's *tough* being a Cadet fan. Tough to sit in the stands wanting to watch a corps you are a big fan of and having to listen to rude comments & (what I believe are) closed-minded attitudes

Cadets are my "favorite corps" over the years - always tend to put out the show which I enjoy the most.

This year they have my - probably - fourth favorite show. Behind a few others like SCV, Crown, Crossmen - etc... I prefer this year.

Anyway - other years they've won (and some they haven't) they've had my absolute favorite show - years like 89 (Les Miz) 96 (American West) 98 (Stonehenge) and back further (84,85,86,87,90, 91) - all years they were the show I couldn't get enough of.

This year I really admire the talent and determination of the corps - the difficulty of the program and the excellence of the corps. The show is not my favorite this year but I also don't "hate it" as some other do. There are moments I love / and some things about it which make me think "ehh"

But frankly I am more than a little worried - if Cadets roll into Pasadena and dominate like I think they might (probably 60/40 odds IMO - they are VERY good and still dirty) how the crowd might react

I would HATE it if these kids work so hard all summer and get booed as they are crowned Champions.

I remember Star being booed when they won shows.

It sucked big time / took a positive, tremendous youth activity and destroyed what should have been a great moment

Folks will say "oh - we are boing the judges or the scores - not the kids" blah blah.

I am worried. :(

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

Will folks boo this guy??? - who obviously believes in "This I believe"

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5...c7-cab4f55159d0

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the comments on that story were in poor taste...we know what they think but ruining his moment just stinks...

bash on

I'll cheer for the kids, but I'll really wonder what direction the design for the activity is going.

Folks will say "oh - we are boing the judges or the scores - not the kids" blah blah.

I am worried.

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

Will folks boo this guy??? - who obviously believes in "This I believe"

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5...c7-cab4f55159d0

Thats a little manipulative George. It IS actually possible to not like the show and not hate the kids in it.

Will people boo? Simple answer is, I hope not. I feel much as you do George, that I enjoy the music of this Cadets show, even if it isn't my favorite. I enjoy some of the narration, probably about half of it, though the other half is disappointing. If the Cadets are named championships, I'll cheer as hard as I did last year for the Cavaliers (well, maybe a little less, but we all have our favorites :P)

With that said, I'd honestly be disappointed if this show wins. Certainly the performance is stellar, even on the preseason CD I was highly impressed with what I was hearing from the corps. However, I don't feel this show should be scoring so high in GE. And I'm not one to talk about GE as though it means "entertainment".

I just dont' feel that this show is as well put together as its competitors. There's no real flow, it's a tale of two halves. There's vocals, some music, more vocals, different music. When you listen to the show without any vocals at all, you can really feel how disjointed a production it is. And when you listen to the vocals by themselves, you realize how unfocused the entire narration is.

I don't have any problem with this show philosophically, but I feel it could have been done better. The idea, the concept that the show is based on, is never refined or defined to my satisfaction. I like that the Cadets are pushing buttons with their show, and I truly appreciate that they're reaching out... I just don't think they grasped their target well enough to be scoring where they are.

I'll be cheering along with the people that come with me. So that's 3 of us and you so that makes 4 people in all.

Personally I don't think the kids will mind. A champion is a champion.

It's similar to my situation as a Barry Bonds and HUGE Giants fan sitting at Dodger Stadium. I root for the Giants no matter what. I root for Barry no matter what. When I do so at Chavez Ravine, I'm not gonna care what those around me say. It's going to be enough just to dodge all the M&Ms and unshelled peanuts bouncing off my Giants cap.

As a Cadets fan, you have to suck it up. Consider what Barry's going through. Can't be worse than that.

I do suspect that the Cadets are on steroids with that show they've got there. B)

Don't expect much more than polite applause if the Cadets do take it, however.

I'm rootin' for SCV and Phantom, but I won't boo the Cadets, I'll just politely clap.

Go Barry! ^0^

Edited by scv guy

I personally dont think any corps with "lame" narrations......deserves to win....especially narrations through out the intire show~!

But frankly I am more than a little worried - if Cadets roll into Pasadena and dominate like I think they might (probably 60/40 odds IMO - they are VERY good and still dirty) how the crowd might react.
Well then, maybe Hopkins should've taken the fan reaction into account, yes? Who knows, maybe he did.

But, I need to ask... disagreeing with narration is being close minded? Maybe you're being a bit closed minded as well, George.

Now having said that, I would NEVER boo a show or wear some lame-### anti-whatever shirt in regards to a show I disagreed with. I may get up and leave before they enter the field, but I'd never boo. Pure classlessness

About Cadets? I absolutley love their show this year except for the narration. The horn book is off the charts! Color me closed minded, I guess.

Edited by skajerk

They will win. I will not boo. Then again, after being booed in Murfreesboro in 2000, I promised myself I would never stoop so low. Any corps with a guy I marched with 6 years ago in it deserves to win. Go Chuz, go Cadets!