Cymbal line poll

Do you enjoy cymbal lines  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching the cymbal lines on the field?

• yes, more corps should have them.
    • no cymbals should be in the pit.
    • i never noticed cymbal lines

I would actually venture to say that there are far more sounds to make with a pair of cymbals in a given drum corps show than on really any other instrument. You just have to know how to manipulate them correctly. Add in the visual aspect, and what you have is one of the most fun instruments to play. Add in the difficulty factor, and you have one of the most rewarding.

Cymbals in drum corps are a good thing.

I don't think I'd say that, but I agree Cymbals in drum corps are a good thing. They do add effect and stuff like that, but I like them in the pit I guess.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally find plate lines only add value sometimes to some shows and can often appear to be forced into the design; even appearing a bit cheesy or gimmicky. So, if the music, show concept, drill design, etc. call for a plate line, all the power to you. But I do not feel that every corps should have one or any corps should use one every year or throughout every show.

Has any corps done a "part time" plate line where members of the pit came out and marched an entire song with plates? I'd find mixing it up like that very interesting and think it would add more effect than trying to find things to do with the plates throughout the entire show (wherein they become distracting, at times, to other more important visual effects).

Glassmen did this in 03, the last year they had a cymbal line. The cymbal line joined the pit for the ballad (possibly more--I don't remember).

Okay, I see your point, but bass lines have more difficult parts from what I've seen. I guess I need to check out the lines from before I marched to see what you are talking about though.

Some of them are a lot of fun. SCV is the first to come to mind. Madison has had some good plates through the years. I remember Glassmen when they did the church music about a decade ago. I think a cymbal line helps to add character and identity to a drum corps.

there's nuttin better than the SCV cymbal line

academy's wasn't too bad, though...

i like cymbal lines, as long as they're not just kids cut from drumline

Rock star status!

Me, 1974....14 years old and 130 pounds soaking wet....good times!

me1974.jpg

Rock star status!

Me, 1974....14 years old and 130 pounds soaking wet....good times!

me1974.jpg

where those like 22-24's. those things are crazy

Glassmen did this in 03, the last year they had a cymbal line. The cymbal line joined the pit for the ballad (possibly more--I don't remember).

Whenever I write a percussion feature for the band I arrange for I makwe sure to get as many of the pit folks as I can on the field to do some cymbal stuff. My four young ladies this year do a great job musically and visually...and they really dig getting onto the field.