2008 DCI Rule Proposals

dccorpsfan. I know you are young and I have read many of your post and I do feel that you really want to learn the history of DC. But when you make comments like this you have no clue about VFW and the so called straglehold they had. When you say stranglehold you mean they made sure every Corps received money at every show no matter what Div they were in? You mean having State and National Finals Shows every year. You mean overseeing hundereds and hundereds of Corps instead of under hundered today. You mean treating all Corps with respect by scoring them on one sheet. And by stranglehold you mean by not forcing Corps to do a national tour no matter if they could not afford it or not. And the fact that they let Shows like Dream, the US Open, and CYO to name a few, to draw the Corps that they did with out stoping them. Do you really think that if the founding fathers of DCI 35 years ago would of know that what they started back then because they wanted more say in the money and rule changes would of lead to only 22 Div.I corps they would of started what they did. I for one say no. These were and are great men in the Drum and Bugle Corps Activity. They wanted more growth instead of less. IMO DCI has more of a stranglehold on this Activity then VFW ever had.

The same VFW whose leader tried to get Garfield kicked out of Nats in 70 for forming a Peace Sign.....the same VFW that forced BAC to not use their bells in 69...the same VFW that continued to use archaic captions such as 'cadence' and 'inspection' while keeping GE as a 10 point caption.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is there even talk of woodwinds? I really hope this activity doesn't turn into BoA 2.0

It did, years ago when they got rid of G Bugles. Guess you dealt with that change or you wouldn't still be on DCP. Yes, people still complain about it, but as some corps have proven, they can still project. Corps are still loud!! When they raise the number to 150; hopefully the corps will put those extra people in their hornlines. But if someone wants to use the extra 15 for stage crew, that's their choice.

Times have changed and they will continue to change.

But each corps still has a choice on what, or what they don't want to put into their shows. If a Div 1 corps who wants to use G Bugles, no vocals, or Amps, has the right to do so (now known as Old School). How will they stack up with the corps that use everything? We'll see.

By the way, have you noticed what some of the colorguards are twirling these days? It's not just rifles and flags anymore.

Not likely.

Most corps perform during the day, even the big guys sometimes.

Wouldn't work.

Plus it costs a lot of money.

Frankly, I'd vote for spotlights in a new york minute if they'd kill the amps (or, at LEAST regulate them so it's only for mallet percussion amplification and NOTHING ELSE).

Shadow box covering field from one end to the other.... lighting problem fixed. Added Bonus... no more pesky banner adds!!!!!!

b**bs

Whether for or against it, I think that DCI needs to have some kind of stance on amplification and electronics. Like a friend once said: "I like BoA AND DCI, but for separation reasons."

I will forget all knowledge of DCI if Woodwinds are ever allowed to set foot on the field. Its Drum and BUGLE Corps not Drum and Bugle w/ the occasional Clarinet or Piccolo Corps.

I'm looking forward to the extra horns and subsequent hornline volume increase in 2008 due to the increase up to 150 members.

I expect electronics to pass if it comes up for vote again. It is just a matter of time. Amplification was the first step.

BackBeat

The same VFW whose leader tried to get Garfield kicked out of Nats in 70 for forming a Peace Sign.....the same VFW that forced BAC to not use their bells in 69...the same VFW that continued to use archaic captions such as 'cadence' and 'inspection' while keeping GE as a 10 point caption.

Even with the "archaic captions" your words, people came to the shows and there were still 100's of Corps. It's funny, that under the archaic captions VFW set up, SCV won the 71 VFW Nationals with a score of 89.950.

They tried to kick out Garfield from Nationals. But they DID NOT get kicked out of Nationals. Remember We were fighting a very unpopular war back then and feelings on both sides were very high.

You are right about BAC in 69. Even without the bells they still finished 4th at VFW Nationals. BAC finished 4.70 behind Troopers for 3rd. Are you saying that if BAC had bells they would of won Nationals or they would of gained 4.71 points to over take the Troopers?

The Cadets saying Amen during their show, was that before or after VFW?

Even with the "archaic captions" your words, people came to the shows and there were still 100's of Corps. It's funny, that under the archaic captions VFW set up, SCV won the 71 VFW Nationals with a score of 89.950.

They were useless captions....should have been done away with long before DCI came along. GE should have been a 30 point caption as it was on other sheets at that time (e.g. the World Open). Corps were lobbying for that in the early 60's, but the VFW (e.g. Tony Schlechta) kept it at 10 points.

They tried to kick out Garfield from Nationals. But they DID NOT get kicked out of Nationals. Remember We were fighting a very unpopular war back then and feelings on both sides were very high.

Trying to kick a corps out of Nats for a drill move? BTW, the rank and file VFW members did not seem to mind. I'll never forget the thousands of camera flashes going off when we turned and moved the Peace Sign forward.

You are right about BAC in 69. Even without the bells they still finished 4th at VFW Nationals. BAC finished 4.70 behind Troopers for 3rd. Are you saying that if BAC had bells they would of won Nationals or they would of gained 4.71 points to over take the Troopers?

NO, but it ruined a wonderful drum book, esp the drum solos "Unsquare Dance" and "Pop Goes the Weasel". I guess the 10 point GE caption noted above 'saved' them, and of course there were no belle to tick, so execution wasn't impacted. Just the fans.

The Cadets saying Amen during their show, was that before or after VFW?

After