1985 Suncoast Sound

I know that DCI has been working on obtaining the rights to the older performances, so that they can release the ADP's. From what I understand, a large part of the deficit from last year can be attributable to licencing from the old recordings. Perhaps these have not yet been resolved?

I'm just glad I bought them all when I did last year. I'd hate to have something missing out of my collection.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While re-reading this thread, I had forgot about the time around 1993 when I was at a band competition in Florida, singing to what the band on the field was playing...Midnight in Miami. I said out loud "What the...?"

To my best recollection, the band director, who was short with me, stated that he knew Robert Smith. So, I don't know if any tunes from that show were commercialized or it had once been written for band. *quiver*

You know, I remember a story about five or so years ago about a lawsuit by a former grad student that had worked with Robert W. Smith. The story went that this grad student had written a lot of the work and RWS just put his name on it. I wonder if this is the work in question? At the time, I had heard that all RWS works were being pulled from distribution as things were being investigated.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

You know, I remember a story about five or so years ago about a lawsuit by a former grad student that had worked with Robert W. Smith. The story went that this grad student had written a lot of the work and RWS just put his name on it. I wonder if this is the work in question? At the time, I had heard that all RWS works were being pulled from distribution as things were being investigated.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

If that's the case then wouldn't Suncoast 88 be off there too? It was also an original RWS composition.

Ah yes, 1985 Suncoast. The show that made me a fan of the activity.

Quick story - while going through my dad's things after his death, I found an old cassette tape of the 1985 finals. I popped it in my car, listened to that Suncoast show about 219 times, and was hooked. I looked up DCI on the internet, went to see the Scouts and Cadets in 2000, and have been rabidly addicted the past 8 seasons.

Thanks, 1985 Suncoast.

Ah yes, 1985 Suncoast. The show that made me a fan of the activity.

Quick story - while going through my dad's things after his death, I found an old cassette tape of the 1985 finals. I popped it in my car, listened to that Suncoast show about 219 times, and was hooked. I looked up DCI on the internet, went to see the Scouts and Cadets in 2000, and have been rabidly addicted the past 8 seasons.

Thanks, 1985 Suncoast.

Very Very Cool Story!!! :satisfied: It's kinda' like your dad left you a little surprise present after his death. What a great way to remember him everytime you hear it.

Edited by Medeabrass

• 3 weeks later...
While re-reading this thread, I had forgot about the time around 1993 when I was at a band competition in Florida, singing to what the band on the field was playing...Midnight in Miami. I said out loud "What the...?"

To my best recollection, the band director, who was short with me, stated that he knew Robert Smith. So, I don't know if any tunes from that show were commercialized or it had once been written for band. *quiver*

im not sure about that but i do know that he arranged a version for the troy sound of the south