Booing and the Cadets

I know. I have two things working against me:

1. I'm a guy.

2. I work as an engineer.

Based on this, it's a small miracle that I can put a sentence together that contains a noun, a verb, and a point. Sorry that the way I say things irritates you. Bill

No need at all to apologize. I know that I rub people the wrong way sometimes as well. It's part of it.

Because Mark Chambers beat out Dr. John Villella of West Chester University for the purchase of the Crossmen during auction. This is insider stuff I'm telling you, by the way. In fact, Dr. Villella and George Hopkins were so sure that the Crossmen business had been concluded, they were finishing up the paperwork. Then, out of nowhere, Mark Chambers swooped in and outbid him. The rest is history.

Wow...this is very interesting

Dan are you for real? I haven't read through this entire thread to find out if anyone has responded to your comments, but I have some thoughts entirely of my own. ....

Where were you at the Homecoming Reunion? The alumni there loved the show, so don't assume your opinions represent ours. Reports from other alumni across the country has been overwhelmingly positive.

I have NEVER heard an alumni talk the way you do ... I don't get it.

Maybe you didn't enjoy marching with the Cadets, but thats okay, thats why there are other corps. Its been 17 years, let it go.

I find it very hard to believe you were a member of the Cadets.....I have never heard anyone that even had a bad experience with GH talk about the corps the way you do. I am an alumni and although not always in agreement with what is going on with the corps, I will always support them with all the pride I have in me. Back in the day when I marched, we weren't even that good, but I'd like to think that my small contribution helped make them what they are today. Go Cadets, good luck to all competetitors in all corps!!

couldn't disagree more. Where to start...

1) we bandie around the term "kids" a lot. However, this isn't a bunch of 10 year olds at a little league game. The average age of the corps is probably 20 or 21. There are younger folks killing and being killed in the Middle East. They are, and should be treated as, more mature than a Div III corps

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. I'm only 22 and know very well the sacrifices of many of my friends and fellow soldiers have made, who are 3 years younger than most of these performers

You've never rubbed me the wrong way. :P

LOL!

What's with all of the comparisons with DC kids and soldiers?

I suppose there is one comparison to make even if you disagree with the war most people are decent enough not to take it out on our service men and women. Same should go here---while we're comparing and all, no?

Yes, it is disrespectful to boo at someone or a group of people (whichever it may be), but it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

Isn't part of being a performer learning to accept criticism or opinion, even of the cruelest kind?

Sure, it's not always fun, but that's the small print in the job description.

Seeing The Cadets for a few years now, I'm pretty sure they could handle what happened last night, and I'm positive their director made sure the "kids" knew that what happened was mostly because of his doing.

I highly doubt they're sitting around crying about it.

Why get all hot and bothered?

You're just downplaying them and making them seem like they can't deal with this type of situation.

Don't forget, they are after all THE CADETS!

On the other end of the spectrum, a little etiquette at shows wouldn't hurt either,

but oh well, some people just don't know how to be courteous to the performers and other spectators trying to enjoy the show.

I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinions, but at least wait 'til after they're done.

I was waiting for Rondo to say "Ladies and gentlemen, they are not blooing. They are booing."

thats FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

well, as I mentioned before, and will now say again, Booing just seems pretty tacky in our activity. The kids give it their all (as SO many have said here in so many posts) and love them or hate them, booing is the wrong way to show dislike for a show. Of course, that's MY opinion. (and it seems the vast majority here, too)

But I will say, I heard boo's from some crowds back in the late 70's while I was in the Guardsmen, and for me it was a "screw you" opportunity that didn't hurt my feelings one bit. We had a lot of cheers from people, too. But if what is reported here about the whole Rose Bowl booing... for whatever reason... is true, well, that's awful.

Edited by GGarrett