Booing and the Cadets

but IRMO,

NOBODY IS BOOING ANYBODY _BUT_ THE CADETS !

face the facts !

If it was widespread hooligan booing of random arbitrary corps, then you could support your view that rude morons booing is mBad, mKay ?

BUT IT'S IS _ONLY_ THE cadets THAT ARE GETTING BOOED AND HECKLED !

just accept it -- many people refuse to drink the kool-aid and JUST DON'T LIKE THEM !

I don't like the Blue Devils.

But I don't boo them either.

Some folks are saying that the behavior of booing is wrong. That's an imposition of their opinion on others. If I say I wouldn't do it, then I'm expressing my opinion and preference. If I say you shouldn't do it, I'm imposing my view on you.

No, it's not. It's simply someone stating their opinion. Nothing is being imposed or enforced. Going by your logic here, you are imposing an "everything is ok" attitude on me.

If I walked up to you and said I think you're ugly, does that make you ugly or is it just my opinion? For the record, I don't know you or what you look like.

No, it's not. It's simply someone stating their opinion. Nothing is being imposed or enforced. Going by your logic here, you are imposing an "everything is ok" attitude on me.

If I walked up to you and said I think you're ugly, does that make you ugly or is it just my opinion? For the record, I don't know you or what you look like.

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I still believe that if you're prescribing limits on behavior, you're imposing an opinion. And that, of course, is my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I am ugly. But I can live with that. :P

Edited by wheelerand

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I still believe that if you're prescribing limits on behavior, you're imposing an opinion. And that, of course, is my opinion.

How is an opinion imposing anything? Sorry, and I am not calling you dumb here, but I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. Imposing would mean I am expecting you to obey what I want as I impose my thoughts on you, or that I claim some form of authority over you. That is not the case.

How is an opinion imposing anything? Sorry, and I am not calling you dumb here, but I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. Imposing would mean I am expecting you to obey what I want as I impose my thoughts on you, or that I claim some form of authority over you. That is not the case.

"Booing is classless" - that's an opinion. "You shouldn't boo" - that's a prescription of behavior and is imposing your opinion on me. Of course, I don't have to agree with you or obey what you say but I still call that imposing an opinion. If we define that differently, I can accept that.

Some folks are saying that the behavior of booing is wrong. That's an imposition of their opinion on others. If I say I wouldn't do it, then I'm expressing my opinion and preference. If I say you shouldn't do it, I'm imposing my view on you.

Sorry but that is hogwash. If you (general) want to boo go ahead and boo your head off but on the same token I am going to call it like I see it-idiotic, classless behavior.

If I cant call it as I see it then you are imposing on me, no? I think it should go both ways.

All of this anything goes crap has given us a society with no manners that do as they please because people are too afraid to uphold any set of standards. Booing shouldnt be done at an art performance period am I going to try and change the rules to forbid it- no, that's silly and unAmerican.

Edited by IRMO

Sorry but that is hogwash. If you (general) want to boo go ahead and boo your head off but on the same token I am going to call it like I see it-idiotic, classless behavior.

If I cant call it as I see it then you are imposing on me, no? I think it should go both ways.

You're right. I didn't state that very well. See my last response to TX

These young adults who sacrafice their summers to entertain us for no money whatsoever in their pockets deserve more then booing. This is not a sporting event in the sense of, no high prices ball player is on the field and then you have the right to boo cause you are paying him to perform at a certain level. To get to this level of perfomance takes a lot of dedication, heart and will power from not only the perfomer but their family who supports them in their passion. My family grew up in drum corps, my brother not only was a Cadet but continues to be involved with DCI and he continues to love it, again it is a passion for him as I am sure it is for all the corps out on the field and they deserve to be applauded for all their hard work regardless of who runs them or what their show is about.

These young adults who sacrafice their summers to entertain us for no money whatsoever in their pockets deserve more then booing. This is not a sporting event in the sense of, no high prices ball player is on the field and then you have the right to boo cause you are paying him to perform at a certain level. To get to this level of perfomance takes a lot of dedication, heart and will power from not only the perfomer but their family who supports them in their passion. My family grew up in drum corps, my brother not only was a Cadet but continues to be involved with DCI and he continues to love it, again it is a passion for him as I am sure it is for all the corps out on the field and they deserve to be applauded for all their hard work regardless of who runs them or what their show is about.

I respect that point of view, but sooner or later if every corps gets applause, standing ovations, etc., then there's no differentiation between shows. As it happens, I do stand for every corps and I applaud most of them. But I also respect those who feel differently.

I respect that point of view, but sooner or later if every corps gets applause, standing ovations, etc., then there's no differentiation between shows. As it happens, I do stand for every corps and I applaud most of them. But I also respect those who feel differently.

I applaud them all and then the judges decide who wins and who loses.

If I dont like a particular corps I either suffer through it (politely) or leave before they start. I call that common decency and yes I expect a lot from my fellow fans. Maybe I shouldn't. :(