Booing and the Cadets

Someone seems upset.

People aren't always going to agree with a show.

Apparently people felt that the Cadets' show was the one that didn't set right with them.

I myself, am a fan of the Cadets, but absolutely HATE the narration.

If I find myself feeling like I'm listening to an Audio Book, then you have taken narration too far.

People will boo all the time when they don't like something ^0^ . Fans have the right to boo or cheer. It's all part of the game. Deal with it! It happens in all arenas of entertainment <**> . Drum corps is no different. Obvious people are dissatisfied with what's happening today. Let's not get full of ourselves: This is a drum and trumpet show. Not the opera. I remember when the crowd booed Cavies in Philly 1975. Ask an ex:Muchacho. People are living in a fantasy world if you think people are not going to boo, because it's a drum corps show. These are young adults. Not little kids. If they (The Cadets ) can handle the negative reaction. They'll never be prepeared for the harshness of the real world. If you can't stand the heat. Get out the kitchen. Major sports figures and sports teams get booed. Drum corps no exception. Move on!

This from a news article on YEA!.org

"The Cadets knew Friday morning there was no looking back. Many admit they were shaken by those sitting in the audience who heckled and booed when the corps exited the field so the hashmarks could be re-lined by DCI.

“You do get upset when something like that happens,” said Joe McCarthy, a trumpet player from Westminster, Mass. “We work so hard for so long on something and it gets shoved back in your face.”

Rachel Nelson, a member of the colorguard from Detroit, Mich., found the crowd’s chants hurtful, especially given the fact that the Cadets, and every other drum corps in the show, are there to entertain the very people voicing their displeasure."

Let's keep this thread on topic and free of personal attacks

I'm sorry but the irony meter just blew a gasket. There are pages upon pages and thread after thread dedicated to nothing but personal attacks on the Cadets and their director that have been completely ignored by staff and those perrsonal attacks are OK because why? :tic:

Really this is a rhetorical question because I've been around here long enough to know that certain subjects on here get a blind eye- the Cadets and GH top that list year in and year out.

I'm really surprised no one sees this.

Here's what I don't get. Since when are hash-marks a safety issue? Hash-marks were there in 1984 when 6 Cadets went down in Whitewater. Were those hash-marks too high? Other corps members fell because there were no hash-marks? I guess I was lucky to survive the 70's with only a line on the 50 and each 25, or those ghastly Canadian fields with their TWO 50's, a Centre Line, and totally different hash-marks. Or a stadium marked for college and NFL with TWO SETS of hash-marks! I shudder at the thought.

Besides, if the field was in such bad shape, why not pull the corps off for a week or two until it could be re-sodded? ($1 to my lovely bride...and an extra one since Regiment beat SCV. :tic: )

Get over it, George. You have an amazingly talented group of people, yet you hobble them with a crappy show concept. If you want to teach Drum Corps 101, do it at a band clinic, not in front of several thousand drum corps alumni/fans who already know what it takes to be in a corps. Then, to add insult to injury, you didn't give the members the benefit of proving they could do their show practically blindfolded...or without hash-marks, at least.

I appreciated the incredible talent in the Cadets last night at semifinals, but sat on my hands (no booing here) because, frankly, I was insulted by the pandering show concept. This corps deserved better.

Who's got that pic of the Waaaahm-bulance? Can you post it for George?

Garry in Vegas

Hash-marks were there in 1984 when 6 Cadets went down in Whitewater.

Man I was there for that show, a DCI newbie. Something I will never forget!

Here's what I don't get. Since when are hash-marks a safety issue? Hash-marks were there in 1984 when 6 Cadets went down in Whitewater. Were those hash-marks too high? Other corps members fell because there were no hash-marks? I guess I was lucky to survive the 70's with only a line on the 50 and each 25, or those ghastly Canadian fields with their TWO 50's, a Centre Line, and totally different hash-marks. Or a stadium marked for college and NFL with TWO SETS of hash-marks! I shudder at the thought.

Begging your pardon, but the drill in the 70's was not what it is today. Not trying to start and old vs new argument, but certain things are fact, and the velocity and complexity has gone up. Certainly, corps can make exceptions (the cadets performance at the olympics comes to mind), but that show was dirty as crap, and they had weeks to prepare for no lines / hashes. If you cant figure out why a top corps needs hash marks given the drill they march, then I have nothing farther to add...

I'm sorry but the irony meter just blew a gasket. There are pages upon pages and thread after thread dedicated to nothing but personal attacks on the Cadets and their director that have been completely ignored by staff and those perrsonal attacks are OK because why? :blink:

Really this is a rhetorical question because I've been around here long enough to know that certain subjects on here get a blind eye- the Cadets and GH top that list year in and year out.

I'm really surprised no one sees this.

It's seen, but nothing we can do about it.

Maybe we could paint their dots on the fieds as well....

Maybe we could paint their dots on the fieds as well....

Maybe some posters are being a little too harsh on Hopkins hash mark hisseefit, who knows. It's a sidebar to the real story.... The Blue Devils impressive win.

Maybe some posters are being a little too harsh on Hopkins hash mark hisseefit, who knows. It's a sidebar to the real story.... The Blue Devils impressive win.

Maybe some posters are being a little too light on Hopkins hash mark hisseefit, who knows. It's a sidebar to the real story....

The Cadets Physically Can't Talk More Next Season!!