Upset at Delucia's comments

This was something that occurred during the broadcast- not sure if anybody live in Pasadena would have caught this or not, but it's something that upset me and I wanted to share.

During the lead-in to Cadets' show, the broadcasters talked about how Cadets' show was controversial, which frankly was to be expected.

But then something happened that I did NOT expect.

Dennis Delucia made the comment, and I quote, "All the fans who are opposed to narration, get over it for 10 or 12 minutes"

This may be just me, but I was VERY offended by that comment, especially given the nature of the person who said it.

I've never met Mr. Delucia personally, but I certainly admire his accomplishments and service in the drum corps community, and I've found him to be a knowledgeable and enjoyable part of the broadcast experience over the years as well.

But for him to make that kind of Bill O'Reilly-esque comment to the fans during a live broadcast was frankly rude and extremely unprofessional as well.

As a drum corps guy, Mr. Delucia is certainly entitled to think whatever he wants about narration. But to make such a inflammatory comment to a live audience, in my opinion, violates the ethical standards that journalists should possess.

I don't know what action, if any, will be taken about this, but I hope that somebody brings this to Mr. Delucia's attention and he has the courtesy to apologize for his comments.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't think his statement was big deal.

He could have put it better, but again, big deal.

I took it as him saying to look past it.

Personally I hate the narration and nothing will ever help me to get over it.

I knew as soon as amps got passed this is where we were heading and I accepted it.

someone in our theater yelled "tell Hoppy to get over it!"

I also thought it was interesting that Rondinaro made some comment about the "band kids" when cadets were on the field....sorry though, don't rememebr the exact context.

He's right... everyone needs to get over it.

What happend tonight was embarassing to the activity, and I am talking about the crap the fans gave to the kids.

Everyone in the stands should be humiliated!

Its time we all got over it! This is getting ridiclous and pathetic... and were taking it out on the kids for christs sake!

He's right... everyone needs to get over it.

What happend tonight was embarassing to the activity, and I am talking about the crap the fans gave to the kids.

Everyone in the stands should be humiliated!

Its time we all got over it! This is getting ridiclous and pathetic... and were taking it out on the kids for christs sake!

Hmmmm, I didn't see anyone taking anything out on the kids.

I saw an intelligent crowd letting George Hopkins know exactly what they thought of his choice.

In my opinion he deserved it as well as the 2 point penalty he brought down on his kids.

If the field needed relining there was a better way for to go about it.

All he accomplished was pushing his corps back from performing next to last to having to go on 4th from last.

His point was to not miss the forest because of the trees. Don't ignore the excellence they are presenting just because you have your narration blinders on.

He's not a journalist. He's a drummer.

There seemed to be more uncontrolled remarks flying than usual this year. The biggest offender in my eyes was Jessica in her last interview with the BD guard girl, when it dissolved into a mush-fest into how much BD means to both of them. Yes, we know you were the BD guard captain and you love them soooooooo much, but could you at least try to keep your interviewer hat on until the camera is off?

Despiter their past affiliations, the rest of them all seemed to put a lot of effort into keeping their comments balanced.

I disagree, NewsEd.

It's one thing to say "Give it a chance, you might like enjoy it". Hell, I read that here at least 50 times a day!

It's another entirely to be rude and insulting to your audience like he did.

And while he may not be a journalist by trade, he should know that he's acting in that role when he does the broadcasts.

I raised my hand when he said "Raise your hand if you don't like Narration".

Then I got a chuckle out of his "get over it" statement.

Not a big deal.