The Cadets at Quarterfinals

You know, I sort of wish this whole thing did involve Phantom Regiment (for whom I am a partisan), because I'm tired of every single thing being about Hopkins. I'm sick and tired of this guy. I went to a show with a former DCI judge, and he had some less than flattering things to say about old Georgie boy.

What else is new? Lots of people have less-flattering things to say about him. Just look around this forum. I am sure some of the judges are just as biased against him as many people who follow drum corps are. I saw it when I marched, so that's nothing new.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the complaint and the "tantrum" was unprofessional because it was GH who did it. If it was any other corps director, I doubt that anyone in the stands would be booing them for it.

Honestly, I would feel the same about anyone that did it. Any extra animosity for Hopkins is because of the reputation he already has. He makes himself a lightning rod for criticism while few, if any, other directors choose to do the same. I wouldn't approve of any director doing what he did tonight. I didn't approve of the big finger Dave St. Angel gave (memorably) back in 1992 (I think it was), for instance.

AGAIN, you're ASSUMING Mr. Hopkins himself changed the score himself. What if he went to talk to the officials and after review THE OFFICIALS (not Mr. Hopkins) made the change?

Cheers, :beer:

Sean

w/Stp:

Let's face it- we'll be seeing fully declassified CIA reports before we learn the full truth in this one...

Oh please, someone, tell me it was...

Even if it was just some dramatic gesticulating, I'm happy. What a child. I hope somebody got this on a camera phone. Ohhh do I hope.

They deserved the penalty? Why, b/c the field sucked?

As far as what I'm getting from others.

The other corps simply "sucked up".

How come the Cadets couldn't do the same?

You're ASSUMING that Mr. Hopkins DID these thigns you're accusing him if. Rather than toss around such nasty ideas, let's wait for a reply?

What if DCI comes back and says that they reviwed the tapes and realize marching without basic field marking could have been disasterous and thankfully Mr. Hopkins saw what other's didn't.

Sean

w/Stp:

I was told at the Cadet souvie stand that the 2 or 3 directors of the corps who went on just before Cadets also complained about the missing field markings, but Cadets were the only one to do something about it. I don't blame him, that field was a mess. There were so many divots in the middle of the field, it looked like a golf driving range. And that big rectangle of last minute patched in grass was a completely different color than the rest of the field. It almost looked florescent on the big stadium tv. Did it look that bad in the theaters? Once again, DCI gets jerked around in Pasadena. I guarantee you that the field never looks like crap like this for the Rose Bowl game.

Oh please, someone, tell me it was...

Not even close.

Thats all I am saying.

Yes, DCI should have maintained the field better, but the Cadets were not in any danger, neither were the Cavies, or Regiment, or Bluecoats.

We would all have loved to have freshly painted fields to march on, but it just doesn't happen.

And I also have no issues with Hopkins holding DCI accountable for the field conditions, but there is no doubt he could have done it differently.

It would have been easy for him to send a vis tech to check the hashes before the corps entered the field.

That would have been a great thing to do. I actually wish he had done that instead so there wouldn't be MORE controversy added to the boiling pot.

If a huge sink hole opened up on the field between two different corps shows, should the next corps be penalized? I mean afterall, they didn't step off on time? Should a corps be penalized because of the fault of the field or property? Think back to Candlestick Park & the series!!

Sean

w/Stp: