The Cadets at Quarterfinals

I agree. Shouldn't something like that be done off camera where it isn't displayed to thousands of people??? Think about all of the teens that rolled into the theater after band camp for their first DCI experience and got to see an adult behaving like that- doesn't exactly do much for their first impression about drum corps & DCI being a professional organization, does it?

I think any other director would have found a more discreet way to discuss the issue of the hash marks and the penalty off camera and away from their corps and the paying public.

Im sure it would have been nice to do it off camera...but he cant control where the cameras are. There's not exactly a back room availible on the front sideline for them to go into and have a secret meeting. Something needed to be done, and there was only a few seconds to do it, and only one person to talk to to get things done. Perhaps we should be complaining that the cameras made a point of catching this controversy.

George was not looking for attention, and he was not proud of his display...i promise you this. One needed to only look at his face as he came up into the stands to see how absolutely mortified he was at the situation and the crowd response...not for himself, but for the kids. It is plain as day, that people were just looking for an excuse to boo the corps (which is an admittedly bad situation), and this event gave them their chance. Some of you say its just booing against the director, and the show design - explain that to all the mothers crying in the parking lot that couldnt understand why dci fans would act that way. Also - explain that to the rabid fans in the northwest, that have gone crazy for the cadets in the past 2 weeks. Why was the show 'ok' for them - to the point where not a single boo was heard, yet they get this socal crowd that thinks they have the right to ruin a show for hundreds of performers and thousands of fans that want to enjoy themselves. You know what...there are some shows i dont particularly care for....perhaps i should yell jokes and offensive comments during their ballads, after all, booing is just a part of life, right?

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More from a different article at http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=e...8e-323661085a9f

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

you lie

Putting it on ‘the line’: Cadets’ two point penalty withdrawn

Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:52 AM

Brief controversy was sparked during the 2007 Drum Corps International World Championship Quarterfinals on Aug. 8, when director George Hopkins, concerned for the safety of his corps performers, indicated that the hash marks were not visible on the field prior to his corps’ performance. A 15 minute delay followed until the lines were repainted at Rose Bowl Stadium.

A Rose Bowl Stadium field crew re-paints the hashes during an unscheduled break.

All corps directors agreed at a Wednesday night meeting in preparation for the DCI World Championships that the field painting schedule would allow for the lines and hashes to be refreshed only during each of the scheduled breaks.

Based on that agreement the initial reaction of Drum Corps International Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, the Cadets were penalized two points for delay of contest. As all facts came forth, however, it was clear that while the yard lines were painted during the second break the hash marks had not been.

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Turf managers at the Rose Bowl Stadium were quick to respond to the situation and have agreed to a more frequent painting schedule which will eliminate similar issues for the remaining nights of Division I competition.

Im sure it would have been nice to do it off camera...but he cant control where the cameras are. There's not exactly a back room availible on the front sideline for them to go into and have a secret meeting. Something needed to be done, and there was only a few seconds to do it, and only one person to talk to to get things done. Perhaps we should be complaining that the cameras made a point of catching this controversy.

George was not looking for attention, and he was not proud of his display...i promise you this. One needed to only look at his face as he came up into the stands to see how absolutely mortified he was at the situation and the crowd response...not for himself, but for the kids. It is plain as day, that people were just looking for an excuse to boo the corps (which is an admittedly bad situation), and this event gave them their chance. Some of you say its just booing against the director, and the show design - explain that to all the mothers crying in the parking lot that couldnt understand why dci fans would act that way. Also - explain that to the rabid fans in the northwest, that have gone crazy for the cadets in the past 2 weeks. Why was the show 'ok' for them - to the point where not a single boo was heard, yet they get this socal crowd that thinks they have the right to ruin a show for hundreds of performers and thousands of fans that want to enjoy themselves. You know what...there are some shows i dont particularly care for....perhaps i should yell jokes and offensive comments during their ballads, after all, booing is just a part of life, right?

THIS is where the adults who put this show together should have thought about the implications of having controversial content in the program...and the corps director acting so poorly in front of the audience. They (George) acted badly and used the corps as a shield; no less than when a coach throws a full-blown tirade at the officials and starts throwing chairs. The players are stuck in the middle; and it is the offending adult's fault.

It is time for GH to face the music on this one. And quit putting the kids/young adults in the middle of this squabble.

Cadets did get penalized anyway. DID YOU SEE THE BRASS SCORE? YEAH 5TH PLACE IN BRASS WHEN A WEEK AGO THEY BEAT BLUE DEVILS BY .5 AND CAROLINA CROWN ALL OF THE SUDDEN IS JUST AS MUSICAL AS CADETS HORNLINE. I DON'T THINK SO.... THAT WAS THERE PENALTY GUYS. A JUDGE THAT WAS OUT TO LUNCH WITH CADETS.

Does not matter what you got last week. they called it like the saw it! PERIOD!

THIS is where the adults who put this show together should have thought about the implications of having controversial content in the program...and the corps director acting so poorly in front of the audience. They (George) acted badly and used the corps as a shield; no less than when a coach throws a full-blown tirade at the officials and starts throwing chairs. The players are stuck in the middle; and it is the offending adult's fault.

It is time for GH to face the music on this one. And quit putting the kids/young adults in the middle of this squabble.

By all means, you are right. If someone might not like something, best to not try it. Then today we would have......nothing.

I was waiting for this to come up as a topic. First, let me say that I am indifferent when it come to George Hopkins (mainly because I do not know the man at all). But I know he is looking out for the best interest of those kids. I was viewing this tonight from a theatre in Raleigh and you could CLEARLY see that the hash marks were just not there. At the rate in which the Cadets march and the backwards marching that goes on, I could really see how this would be dangerous. I applaud him for stepping up and making a very tough call. I hated it for the kids in Cadets when the crowd started booing (I know that was not a direct slam against the members but it MUST have affected their "game face" a bit). Just my two cents...

Please.... Don't they GUIDE? I mean the Cavies use the dot system, yet they marched and won visual without the hash!

:P :P :P

By all means, you are right. If someone might not like something, best to not try it. Then today we would have......nothing.

Very simplistic answer there...but you know that was NOT what I was talking about.

George is pushing a quantum change in DC. He does not get it...then he deliberately pushes a over-the-line show on the audience. Then in addition he does something almost unprecedented in DCI history...holding his corps OTL in Worlds...then throws a public fit when he disagrees with the results.

THAT is what we are talking about. Now...think. It isn't that hard to do....

at least for me. :)

There is no 'controversial' material in the Cadets show...just good drum corps.