The Cadets at Quarterfinals

Maybe I missed this little tidbit- Was the Cadets' score announced "with" the penalty in place? In other words placing them in what, 4th or 5th? If that is the case I dont blame Hop for reacting. I would have blown a gasket if I had been in his place considering DCI screwed up by not doing what they agreed to.

Except he apparently was interviewed by the broadcast and made no mention of this "agreement."

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks to me like it could be a long time before DCI returns to California. Lots of problems here and other shows.

It was announced at the theater as the 94.55 number - with the 2 pt. penalty in place.

I see. No wonder he reacted.

I'm really confused what people expected Hop to do when he sees a field he deems unsafe or when he hears a score with an obvious penalty that was not deserved? I suppose they would prefer Hop to act like all of the other directors who sat back and allowed him to pass the amp rule singlehandedly. Gee, look where that took us.

Unsafe???

It's grass, for cruds sake!

w/Stp:

Well, I watched this in a theatre in MN, so my 2 cents.

1) After hearing all the facts, I'll agree with Hopkins decision to have the field re-lined. The hashes were not touched over the break, and should have been. That being the case, I'll also agree to the penalty being removed.

2) I think it was obvious that the crowd was booing Hopkins when he pulled the corps. I hear boos, and many calls to 'let them play!' which makes it pretty obvious that the crowd wanted to see the show. I don't know if those calls made it to the field. Honestly, I give the kids credit. Just being pulled off like that at the last second had to make it difficult to focus. The crowd wanted them on the field, and if anything that should have helped them. The members are not stupid, and the people who claim they don't know the difference are, frankly, insulting. (In my humble opinion)

3) Personally, I dislike any catcalls during a show. Positive or negative. But again, it's pretty obvious what people were commenting on. Every single piece of audible heckling was directed at the voice over. I'll admit, I giggled a bit at 'I believe in no microphones'. I'm not saying it's particularly classy. It's not. But the crowd was making their opinions known in a very public way, that can't be ignored. Letters may be more mature, but they can be marginalized. EVERYONE saw this, and it's being talked about. You can't ignore that such a public display of dissatisfaction causes things to be looked at. The crowd reaction to the '99 tie is a good example. Change happened. GOOD change. Perhaps this event will cause positive change in the Cadets programming. One can only hope. Unfortunately, the current members get the short end of it here. It's a shame, but it happens. That's life. Hopefully, they will be stronger for it.

I thought the voice over in Bluecoats show was done well. I can't say the same for Cadets. It seriously detracted from the program for me. Blue Shades is such a cool piece, and the 'Afterschool special' banter was a huge distraction, and I cheered when they 'did something without the voice'. (Much like the live audience did)